Cheesesteaks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kvgsqtii

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 28, 2022
SC
We took a trip last month and stopped in Philly to do some sight seeing and get cheesesteaks. I had been before but my wife and daughter hadn't so we went to both Pat's and Geno's. Both wit, provolone at Pats and whiz at Genos. Pats was cold and dry, Genos was better, but not great.

Wife said she wanted me to try my hand at making some. Started with shaved ribeye from the grocery store. With a little more time I would have sliced it myself. I wasn't a huge fan of the texture, pretty sure it had been frozen before. Caramelized some onions. Cheese was provolone.

Got the steak going in the skillet, once it was mostly browned topped it with onions and cheese and popped a lid on to steam. When the cheese melted, popped the buns in on top to warm up.

Served up with tots from the air fryer. No cooking pics as it all went pretty fast.
20231105_182927.jpg

I thought it was good for a first try and will definitely try again.

Wife loves steak sandwiches. We'd be happy guests at your table.

Same as jkc64 jkc64 we often used strip loin. Strip loin used to be my go to beef for most any beef, but the coflation sure put them out of my price point unless on a big sale.
Yesterday I got a package of my preferred meat for shaved steak, prime top sirloin.
A nice amount of marbling so improves the taste and texture.
Cannot wait for the prime rib holiday sales. I pick through the offerings and grab the pieces that have a decent amount of marbling

Man o man o man. That is a darn good looking Philly steak.

I was thin slicing by hand some sirloin cap leftover from the girls birthday dinner yesterday. In my head, it had Philly written all over it, but it turned into fajitas.

Reactions: Kvgsqtii
Looks very good I'd eat one for sure

Same as jkc64 jkc64 we often used strip loin. Strip loin used to be my go to beef for most any beef, but the coflation sure put them out of my price point unless on a big sale.
Yesterday I got a package of my preferred meat for shaved steak, prime top sirloin.
Cannot wait for the prime rib holiday sales. I pick through the offerings and grab the pieces that have a decent amount of marbling
I'm with you! Its prime rib season!!

That looks like a killer Sammy. I could inhale a couple of those. I've had a few like yours with provolone, but some day I need to try one with the Wiz.

That looks great, I have a ton of rib eyes in the freezer..hmmm? Not sure on the ketchup-mustard mix though...lol

That looks like a killer Sammy. I could inhale a couple of those. I've had a few like yours with provolone, but some day I need to try one with the Wiz.

Good looking sammich......I've done them with provolone....need to try the cheese wiz stuff.

Jim
Cheeze Wiz doesn't replace the provolone. Use the Wiz as you would apply mayo

Sorry for the delay in responding, life and such...
Looks like a good meal. I watch for whole strip lions on sale. I smoke them then slice and package into portions and freeze.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for ribroast and try and do the same.

Thanks, they were tasty and we are looking forward to doing it again. Will probably make it into the normal rotation.

Man o man o man. That is a darn good looking Philly steak.

I was thin slicing by hand some sirloin cap leftover from the girls birthday dinner yesterday. In my head, it had Philly written all over it, but it turned into fajitas.
Fajitas are good too, thanks for the comment.

Looks great to me!! Would love a nice Cheese steak right now!!
I'm craving another one at this point, thanks for the comment.

Looks very good I'd eat one for sure
There was nothing left from the 1.5lbs of meat. They got devoured. Thanks for the comment.

Would be happy to share that meal with you for sure, looks great. Nice work.
Thanks for the comment.

So good!!
They were fantastic! Thanks for the comment.

Looks great! Love a good cheese steak sammich!
Thanks Steve.

As hard as this is to believe, I've never had a true Philly cheese steak. I've heard the story of Pat and Geno and know their history, but have not eaten one. I like a French dip, which of course is similar, but different.

Me, too...
Thanks Charles, you should give them a shot.

Next time I'm going to try a blend of provolone and american to get a little more melt on the cheese. The provolone melted nice, but congealed into a blob once it cooled below surface of the sun levels. Thanks for the comment.

Love cheesesteaks.
The key is the Amoroso roll.
If you can get them, give 'em a try.
The roll was the seriously lacking part for me. This area is a good bread desert. Not even the bakeries around here can make bread worth a damn. Thanks for the comment.

That looks great, I have a ton of rib eyes in the freezer..hmmm? Not sure on the ketchup-mustard mix though...lol
Thanks for the comment. I've been eating ketchup and mustard together for years, nearly everyone says the same thing.

Good looking sammich......I've done them with provolone....need to try the cheese wiz stuff.

Jim
The cheese-whiz was good at genos, don't think I could bring myself to actually buy it though. Thanks for the comment.

Cheeze Wiz doesn't replace the provolone. Use the Wiz as you would apply mayo
Thanks for the comment.

Looks great to me! I'd gladly help devour some!

Ryan
Thanks for the comment.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky