Cheese threads

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Perusing around the forum and it looks like cheese has 2 places on here. One under "general" and another under "cold smoking". Quickly looking through the cheese threads under "general" it seems there are an overwhelming amount of threads are about store bought cheese people on here cold smoked. My question is, is there a spot on the forum for actually making cheese and not reworking store bought product?
"Store bought chese"? Eww

Perusing around the forum and it looks like cheese has 2 places on here. One under "general" and another under "cold smoking". Quickly looking through the cheese threads under "general" it seems there are an overwhelming amount of threads are about store bought cheese people on here cold smoked. My question is, is there a spot on the forum for actually making cheese and not reworking store bought product?
A lot of bigger brew shops have cheese making supplies and classes on cheese making, if that is what you are looking for also quite a few of sausage making suppliers have the tools and gismos for making cheese,

There are a couple folks on here that make their own cheese. Post your question(s) and see what happens. I happen to live in a dairy state and have access to allot of good cheese so I've never thought about trying it on my own.

Chris

I have dabbled in cheese making. Yes, starting with mozzarella which is the easiest. But it was not that great smoked. It was good fresh, but not good to freeze either, so I gave up. There are too many good local creamery's and cheese factories that are just so darn good that I can't make any cheaper or better. Tillamook, Bandon, Rogue.

This would be akin to a Texan not making brisket at home because to the pit down the street.

Touche, well played Holly, We will meet again in the not so distance future. BTW I do happen to know a few Texans that actually go to the local BBQ joint down the street for Brisket.

I was more looking for cheese makers to share technique/recipes.

Well I can honestly say that my technique is to purchase cheese at store, unwrap cheese at home, and cold smoke using hickory or apple dust for 3 to 4 hrs. It comes out pretty good. Sorry I can't help you with your quest, but someone on site does make their own(and posted a thread recently) hopefully they'll chime in on this thread.

Good luck and happy smoking.

Chris

Now Holly, why would you come to a Smoking Meat Forum to look for cheese makers?
Probably the most cheese made around here is what's cut after eating all that meat...
You wouldn't go to a Chevy Forum asking about Fords or Dodges now, would you?

I buy 5 pound blocks, sub-divide them, vacuum package to save them. My wife does not like smoked food.
So a while back, I bought her a block of mild cheddar, and me a block of sharp.
And I smoked the whole dang (my) 5 pounds. Then vacuum packaged.

1. I'm not a dairy farmer.
2. I did have milk goats for a number of years, but never made Gouda.
3. Do you raise your own brisket? Baby Back Ribs? Salmon? Brew your own Beer? Make your own wine, (or whine)?
4. Grow your own spices?

I bet there's a lot to be said iffen I was to look in your pantry.
But I think I'll just go slice me some of my home smoked store bought cheese. ;)

Thats great your making cheese. Maybe some detailed info so others could learn????? Do a seperate thread.

I have at least 10 types of cheeses in the fridge. About half (smoked) over 2y old. Others close to a year. All store bought. I estimate the value of the 2y old now at least 3 times what i paid in the store.
Minimum labour, maximum value added.

Reactions: SonnyE
Now Holly, why would you come to a Smoking Meat Forum to look for cheese makers?
Probably the most cheese made around here is what's cut after eating all that meat...
You wouldn't go to a Chevy Forum asking about Fords or Dodges now, would you?

I buy 5 pound blocks, sub-divide them, vacuum package to save them. My wife does not like smoked food.
So a while back, I bought her a block of mild cheddar, and me a block of sharp.
And I smoked the whole dang (my) 5 pounds. Then vacuum packaged.

1. I'm not a dairy farmer.
2. I did have milk goats for a number of years, but never made Gouda.
3. Do you raise your own brisket? Baby Back Ribs? Salmon? Brew your own Beer? Make your own wine, (or whine)?
4. Grow your own spices?

I bet there's a lot to be said iffen I was to look in your pantry.
But I think I'll just go slice me some of my home smoked store bought cheese. ;)

Hey Sonny, lighten up Dude!
I make my own mozz & have a thread on making it in my signature.
There are plenty of cheese makers on here.
I think you owe the young lady an apology!
Al

Reactions: bbqbrett
Sorry if I stepped on any toes. I'll only post cheese making threads on cheese making forums.

My toes aren't hurting I thought the conversation was kind of entertaining, and it was a legitimate question. Maybe you should start a thread on cheese making, I'm sure people would be interested in taking their smoked cheese to the next level.

Chris

Holly, my deepest apologies! The Cheese forum is for fresh cheeses, be it identifying them, making them, differences between them, etc. Cold Smoking Cheese is for smoking your cheeses, albeit fresh homemade or premade cheeses. The two forums are distinctly different and have become intermixed, and you have pointed out a very large inconsistency in our forum maintenance. It's my job to keep it organized and I have certainly failed in this area, and thank you so much for bringing this to my attention! I will work on separating them into their proper designations, and please, post any and all cheese-making items in the Cheese forum you wish! We sincerely apologize for any negative before-mentioned comments and wish to rectify this for you! Again, my deepest apologies for the misplaced posts!

Reactions: TulsaJeff
Hey Sonny, lighten up Dude!
I make my own mozz & have a thread on making it in my signature.
There are plenty of cheese makers on here.
I think you owe the young lady an apology!
Al

Sorry Holly, it was meant in jest. You can't step on my toes, I walk in steel toed boots, sweetheart.
I wasn't trying to offend you.

Al,
Please see a conversation in your inbox.
SonnyE

Holly, I just reread all of my posts to this thread, and some can easily be taken the wrong way. For that I sincerely apologize. No I don't make my own cheese, but would be very interested in learning the process - especially cheddar or swiss(if you make Swiss).

Chris

The Admins changed the title of Cheese to Smoked Cheese in the Cold Smoking area, and I will move any cold smoking cheese to that area.

Reactions: SonnyE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky