Cheese and Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
9A94CCA7-74E4-499A-8921-8037A98D82A4.jpeg

I love Tillamook cheese! The cheddar is on the hard side and doesn’t seem to absorb smoke well if it is too cold. I have been experimenting with warming the cabinet up to about 75 degrees and letting it heat soak. As I put in the cheese, I shut down the burner and let the cabinet cool at its own rate. It does seem to absorb the smoke better and results in a better flavor. I asked Mrs Smoke if she wanted to test a small slice. Then she wanted a glass of wine. Then the block was gone. I guess that is a positive response.

6014297B-DB1D-4D8E-B734-3BACCB515664.jpeg

I have been working on my jerky recipe since I brought the smoker home. I tried a lot of recipes without success and finally at Mrs Smoke’s suggestion, got four little bowls and started mixing. Our little test kitchen resulted in a good tasting marinade, but something was missing. I made a lot of jerky and the guys at the barber shop love it, but I couldn’t quite figure out the missing ingredient. On the last batch, I decided to thin the marinade with a cup of water. Instead, on a whim, I grabbed apple juice. BINGO! Today I made two batches; one with a pork rub, the other with a steak, pepper and coffee rub. I dusted the strips in rub and let sit overnight, then marinated for at least 24 hours. Both had a cracked red pepper blend added. This is my best batch to date. They will rest overnight in a paper bag then get vacuum packed tomorrow. This batch is not going to last long.

View attachment 627332

I love Tillamook cheese! The cheddar is on the hard side and doesn’t seem to absorb smoke well if it is too cold. I have been experimenting with warming the cabinet up to about 75 degrees and letting it heat soak. As I put in the cheese, I shut down the burner and let the cabinet cool at its own rate. It does seem to absorb the smoke better and results in a better flavor. I asked Mrs Smoke if she wanted to test a small slice. Then she wanted a glass of wine. Then the block was gone. I guess that is a positive response.

View attachment 627331

I have been working on my jerky recipe since I brought the smoker home. I tried a lot of recipes without success and finally at Mrs Smoke’s suggestion, got four little bowls and started mixing. Our little test kitchen resulted in a good tasting marinade, but something was missing. I made a lot of jerky and the guys at the barber shop love it, but I couldn’t quite figure out the missing ingredient. On the last batch, I decided to thin the marinade with a cup of water. Instead, on a whim, I grabbed apple juice. BINGO! Today I made two batches; one with a pork rub, the other with a steak, pepper and coffee rub. I dusted the strips in rub and let sit overnight, then marinated for at least 24 hours. Both had a cracked red pepper blend added. This is my best batch to date. They will rest overnight in a paper bag then get vacuum packed tomorrow. This batch is not going to last long.
Can' t understand why you would vacuum pack it? Looks and sounds delicious. Wouldn't last long here. I really have to learn to make some.

Can' t understand why you would vacuum pack it? Looks and sounds delicious. Wouldn't last long here. I really have to learn to make some.

Well it keeps a long time vacuum packed. It mellows as it ages. And, it lasts a lot longer being less accessible.

Thanks for the comments and likes. My neighborhood reviewers are saying this is the best batch to date. I am really liking the coffee-pepper flavored batch.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky