Char Siu Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
A long time back I started on a effort to make some Char Siu sauce that was as good as a decent Chinese restaurant.
Not like any of the lackluster dried sauce mixes or jarred sauces available to us in standard or Asian grocers.
There are some really good recipes from the members here, and this one is my adaptation of them.

CHAR SIU SAUCE

1/2C Mirin
1/2C Hoisin sauce
1/2C Yoshida's
1/2C Brown sugar
1/4C Soy sauce
5 T Maltose, coat spoon with some sort of oil or grease to keep it from sticking.
1 T Honey
1 T Grated fresh ginger or 1t powdered ginger
1 t Minced garlic
1t Red food coloring (optional)
1/2t Five Spice powder
1/2t Sesame oil

Heat all ingredients in a saucepan till the maltose and honey are dissolved.
Let it cool before using.
I recommend a 48 hour marinade.
Makes about 2-1/2 cups.

Use on pork, chicken and other meats.

I like to grill first for some char, and then return to pan with some thickened marinade and get a glaze on the meat.
Glazing
20220610_181114(0).jpg

Finished
20220610_182237.jpg

Last edited:
I actually had a recipe for that lol not sure where I put it. I was lookin it this sauce for makin meat for fried rice a couple months ago. here we go.. thanks for sharing yours I will check it out :<). making me hangry for some more fried rice lol

Reactions: chilerelleno
chilerelleno chilerelleno fabulous but I am not familiar with Maltose or Yoshida's.

Would you be able to elaborate?

Mr. Yoshida's Original Gourmet Sweet Teriyaki Sauce​

Available at some grocers and many online retailers.... Good $h!t man!

Sucre Maltose, it's basically a malt sugar.
It's good for all sorts of things, as a sweetener, seasoning, baking, sauces and even pharmaceuticals.
Used in sauces to help it bind and glaze instead of running.

There are a lot of kinds of char siu out there but i like it to have some funk. At least if i am going to the trouble of making it myself.

I kinda like Daddy Lau's recipe, though i am not as big of a fan of oyster sauce as he is. I cut that in half.

Shaoxing wine is essential. You can get shaoxing that is drinkable but most of it is strictly cooking wine. I was amused to see it on an asian market shelf in Utah at over 8% ABV and not salted down like western cooking wine - nothing over 5% is sold outside of liquor stores generally - but then i smelled it.

I have not tasted it straight. It adds an important note to a dish, though.

Red "yeast" fermented bean curd (tofu) is a huge umami bomb. Again not something you would eat straight, but try it with and without and you will see why people like it in things. The red from the red yeast (same as in so-called "red yeast rice") is what the red dye in lots of char siu is referencing.

When it comes to the glaze i don't include the marinade mixture. Just some sweetness and some soy.

It's good for all sorts of things, as a sweetener, seasoning, baking, sauces and even pharmaceuticals.

Gonna have to head to the Asian Market again soon! Thank you again for another round of enlightenment!

Reactions: chilerelleno
There are a lot of kinds of char siu out there but i like it to have some funk. At least if i am going to the trouble of making it myself.

I kinda like Daddy Lau's recipe, though i am not as big of a fan of oyster sauce as he is. I cut that in half.

Shaoxing wine is essential. You can get shaoxing that is drinkable but most of it is strictly cooking wine. I was amused to see it on an asian market shelf in Utah at over 8% ABV and not salted down like western cooking wine - nothing over 5% is sold outside of liquor stores generally - but then i smelled it.

I have not tasted it straight. It adds an important note to a dish, though.

Red "yeast" fermented bean curd (tofu) is a huge umami bomb. Again not something you would eat straight, but try it with and without and you will see why people like it in things. The red from the red yeast (same as in so-called "red yeast rice") is what the red dye in lots of char siu is referencing.

When it comes to the glaze i don't include the marinade mixture. Just some sweetness and some soy.

Thanks, gonna have to try his recipe.

So I found the maltose at the Asian Market - surprisingly common item there and pretty cheap.

The Mr. Yoshida's is the elusive part for me. Since I am not a fan of ordering things online, I looked into alternatives and found that you can substitute Sweet Baby Rays Sauce and Marinade and also found a recipe to make a copy of Mr. Yoshida's.

I'm curious if you'd be able to tell me how close Mr. Yoshida's is to the Sweet Baby Rays if you know?

The recipe to make Mr. Yoshida's seems to have been converted from something else as it's using 3/8 of a cup measurements LOL - In your opinion do you think it could be close?

Mr. Yoshida's Copy
  • 1 cup of soy sauce
  • 3/8 cup of sugar
  • 3/8 cup of brown sugar
  • 1/8 cup of sliced green onions
  • 1 teaspoon of minced ginger
  • 2 cloves of minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup of honey

At the end of the day I can buy the Char Siu Sauce at the Asian Market and not have to worry about making the Mr. Yoshida's to make the Char Sui, but where's the fun in that?

chilerelleno chilerelleno

Last edited:
So I found the maltose at the Asian Market - surprisingly common item there and pretty cheap.

The Mr. Yoshida's is the elusive part for me. Since I am not a fan of ordering things online, I looked into alternatives and found that you can substitute Sweet Baby Rays Sauce and Marinade and also found a recipe to make a copy of Mr. Yoshida's.

I'm curious if you'd be able to tell me how close Mr. Yoshida's is to the Sweet Baby Rays if you know?

The recipe to make Mr. Yoshida's seems to have been converted from something else as it's using 3/8 of a cup measurements LOL - In your opinion do you think it could be close?

Mr. Yoshida's Copy
  • 1 cup of soy sauce
  • 3/8 cup of sugar
  • 3/8 cup of brown sugar
  • 1/8 cup of sliced green onions
  • 1 teaspoon of minced ginger
  • 2 cloves of minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup of honey

At the end of the day I can buy the Char Siu Sauce at the Asian Market and not have to worry about making the Mr. Yoshida's to make the Char Sui, but where's the fun in that?

chilerelleno chilerelleno
Yoshida's vs SBR, wayyyyy different.
No idea without making and tasting it side by side with Yoshida's.
Agree that making sauces is much more fun and rewarding than using bottled.

I'm definitely trying this recipe next.

Last edited:
Yoshida's vs SBR, wayyyyy different.
No idea without making and tasting it side by side with Yoshida's.
Agree that making sauces is much more fun and rewarding that using bottled.

I'm definitely trying this recipe next.

Thank you for your input! The recipe you just listed looks interesting as well!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky