Char Siu Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey y'all, just to let you know, this right here is the real stuff!
Absolutely authentic and tasty as anything I've ever had.

My sincere thanks to ej0rge ej0rge for the link.
And 'Daddy Lau' is now a major mentor, and source of killer authentic Chinese recipes for me.

Last edited:
Hey y'all, just to let you know, this right here is the real stuff!
Absolutely outta authentic and tasty as anything I've ever had.

My sincere thanks to ej0rge ej0rge for the link.
And 'Daddy Lau' is now a major mentor, and source of killer authentic Chinese recipes for me.

Welcome. I have a friend who sometimes leaves youtube just playing whatever the next video is. We went from Chinese Cooking Demystified (excellent channel) talking about, I don't know what, to Made With Lau explaining how to make a correct lo mein, I think. Daddy Lau was really insistent about how you have to toss the noodles or something. It was so authentic and weird.

The beef & broccoli episode is awesome. Everyone admits they don't really love the broccoli part. Daddy Lau says he likes it better with chinese broccoli.

I've done a sous vide adaptation of his char siu a few times and it has always been a big hit. Winco supermarket sells a "large carnita pack" of random good fatty pork chunks that is an outstanding deal though the pieces are hardly uniform in size which would complicate a smoker or pellet grill cook but was perfectly fine for super slow cooking the pork in the marinade, and then i glazed it in a hot oven.

Some day soon i need to try a smoked version in my pellet grill, probably with strips of pork shoulder. It occurred to me that if i got one of the rack setups that accommodates a set of hooks for sausages, that would be pretty similar to the traditional low-tech chinese cooking method.

But as i don't have one, I'll probably just smoke it directly on the grates and then kick up the temperature a LOT and glaze in disposable aluminum pans.

Last edited:
gonna low and slow this 3lb of pork shoulder on my gmg pellet grill tomorrow fuled with kingsford pure maple pellets, with Daddy Lau's marinade.

Attachments

• 293241186_5422536207807670_7106947376458548246_n.jpg
    293241186_5422536207807670_7106947376458548246_n.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 7
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky