Char Siu Pork made with Lau

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Retired Spook

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
Somewhere in Texas
I finally have the amount of Char Siu (6-pounds) I've always wanted to buy whenever I am in a great Chinese BBQ joint! It tastes perfect!

[Deleted bad photo see next post]

Perfect texture and taste!
IMG_1287.JPG

Last edited:

Retired Spook

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
Somewhere in Texas
Nice finished product.

Ivar's to me was an .. eh.

Wife and I miss Spud's in West Seattle.
Don't miss getting mugged by the terns when sitting on the picnic tables.

Ever get to the Alki Tavern for Taco Tuesday or Thursday?
I never made it over to West Seattle the whole time I was in Seattle. I lived on first hill 1-block away from Harbor View and 1-block away from the projects, and I worked in Bellevue and Kirkland. I realize that Ivar's is a local chain but their fried cod was awesome compared to what is available in 95% of the rest of the Country - I loved the place. This was back in 1990/91 so things may have been different.

Retired Spook

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
Somewhere in Texas
I going to have to do this. Will have to wait until I get down to 99 Ranch to get that fermented red bean curd.
The Char Siu was great but the doctor made me give up the brown sugar.

I have another thread somewhere on here for Mongolian beef - another brown sugar heavy dish - but man that was fantastic!

The good news is that my blood sugar is now down in the 90's-100's!!!

BrianGSDTexoma

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
The Char Siu was great but the doctor made me give up the brown sugar.

I have another thread somewhere on here for Mongolian beef - another brown sugar heavy dish - but man that was fantastic!

The good news is that my blood sugar is now down in the 90's-100's!!!
Great news! I still fighting mine after going through the holidays. Got it down to 155. My last A1C was 6.2 but not going to make that this time! I been using Truvia Sweet Complete Brown Calorie-Free Sweetener with the Stevia Leaf, 14 oz Bag. It is good. They also have a blend that has a little real brown sugar in it.

Retired Spook

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
Somewhere in Texas
Great news! I still fighting mine after going through the holidays. Got it down to 155. My last A1C was 6.2 but not going to make that this time! I been using Truvia Sweet Complete Brown Calorie-Free Sweetener with the Stevia Leaf, 14 oz Bag. It is good. They also have a blend that has a little real brown sugar in it.
Fortunately, I am able to cut out the sweets completely and not miss them - same for bread, pasta and potatoes etc. Sure would like to have some Mongolian beef but it has a lot of brown sugar in it!

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 10, 2018
FL winter, MN summer
I use a lot of Erythritol based sweeteners. They don't replicate molasses very well, but they do cook well.

I never made it over to West Seattle the whole time I was in Seattle. I lived on first hill 1-block away from Harbor View and 1-block away from the projects, and I worked in Bellevue and Kirkland. I realize that Ivar's is a local chain but their fried cod was awesome compared to what is available in 95% of the rest of the Country - I loved the place. This was back in 1990/91 so things may have been different.
Sorry missed reply. September and October got busy.
Pill Hill? Nice thing is you were opposite the heavy commuter traffic crossing the floating bridge.
90/91 I was at the KSC for the lazy B.

Latest posts

Hot Threads