Char Siu Pork made with Lau

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I finally have the amount of Char Siu (6-pounds) I've always wanted to buy whenever I am in a great Chinese BBQ joint! It tastes perfect!

[Deleted bad photo see next post]

Perfect texture and taste!
IMG_1287.JPG

Last edited:
Nice finished product.

Ivar's to me was an .. eh.

Wife and I miss Spud's in West Seattle.
Don't miss getting mugged by the terns when sitting on the picnic tables.

Ever get to the Alki Tavern for Taco Tuesday or Thursday?
I never made it over to West Seattle the whole time I was in Seattle. I lived on first hill 1-block away from Harbor View and 1-block away from the projects, and I worked in Bellevue and Kirkland. I realize that Ivar's is a local chain but their fried cod was awesome compared to what is available in 95% of the rest of the Country - I loved the place. This was back in 1990/91 so things may have been different.

I going to have to do this. Will have to wait until I get down to 99 Ranch to get that fermented red bean curd.
The Char Siu was great but the doctor made me give up the brown sugar.

I have another thread somewhere on here for Mongolian beef - another brown sugar heavy dish - but man that was fantastic!

The good news is that my blood sugar is now down in the 90's-100's!!!

The Char Siu was great but the doctor made me give up the brown sugar.

I have another thread somewhere on here for Mongolian beef - another brown sugar heavy dish - but man that was fantastic!

The good news is that my blood sugar is now down in the 90's-100's!!!
Great news! I still fighting mine after going through the holidays. Got it down to 155. My last A1C was 6.2 but not going to make that this time! I been using Truvia Sweet Complete Brown Calorie-Free Sweetener with the Stevia Leaf, 14 oz Bag. It is good. They also have a blend that has a little real brown sugar in it.

Great news! I still fighting mine after going through the holidays. Got it down to 155. My last A1C was 6.2 but not going to make that this time! I been using Truvia Sweet Complete Brown Calorie-Free Sweetener with the Stevia Leaf, 14 oz Bag. It is good. They also have a blend that has a little real brown sugar in it.
Fortunately, I am able to cut out the sweets completely and not miss them - same for bread, pasta and potatoes etc. Sure would like to have some Mongolian beef but it has a lot of brown sugar in it!

I use a lot of Erythritol based sweeteners. They don't replicate molasses very well, but they do cook well.

I never made it over to West Seattle the whole time I was in Seattle. I lived on first hill 1-block away from Harbor View and 1-block away from the projects, and I worked in Bellevue and Kirkland. I realize that Ivar's is a local chain but their fried cod was awesome compared to what is available in 95% of the rest of the Country - I loved the place. This was back in 1990/91 so things may have been different.
Sorry missed reply. September and October got busy.
Pill Hill? Nice thing is you were opposite the heavy commuter traffic crossing the floating bridge.
90/91 I was at the KSC for the lazy B.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky