Char-Griller Smokin Pro with firebox- Mods

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
what brand of thermometers do you guys use at grate level instead of factory unit? where do I get them?

thanks

so, muchless coal? I was feeding it wood and coal because temps on original thermo were low

then the fire wouldnt go out! I have 2 thermometers on order, I will steel brush the paint and re paint

and I need to order some 3" flex duct from home depot or Lowes, none where I live! 

that should help!

Exhaust stack wide open, air intake on SFB usually wide open as well, but I am burning all sticks after the initial charcoal for start up.

when I was using charcoal for heat and wood for smoke I opened or closed the SFB intakes depending on what temp I was shooting for. After a while you will notice that each cook will have a temp "sweet spot" that your temps will hover around. You will be wise to let it ride there.

I load up my charcoal basket and put 1 or 2 small splits of peach wood on top. Turns out some great q everytime. I have the chargriller outlaw w/ side firebox. My paint bubbles almost everytime I use. I have a small brush to clean it off and hit it with some high heat rustoleum. Takes about 45 seconds. I keep it covered when not in use. It's not a lang but it more than meets my needs.

on the original crappy thermo, it was fluctuating from 200  -250, it was taking lots of coal and wood! 
does anybody have pictures or videos on how it should look in smoker box? the only wood that I could find was chunks, no actual logs
i know that will help! also, do yall start with lots of lump coal with lit coal on top then add wood?

Here's a link to one of my smokes. Hope it helps.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/162604/chargriller-outlaw-smokes-pork-butt

Exhaust stack wide open, air intake on SFB usually wide open as well, but I am burning all sticks after the initial charcoal for start up.
when I was using charcoal for heat and wood for smoke I opened or closed the SFB intakes depending on what temp I was shooting for. After a while you will notice that each cook will have a temp "sweet spot" that your temps will hover around. You will be wise to let it ride there.

Very similar to Cliff on this one. Stack wide open, carcoal to start, sticks to maintain and I will adjust my firebox vent as needed. But you will find your smoker will find a temp range it likes. So I just work with it and adjust my times.

I got some aftermarket therms from Lowes. Just calibrated them every so often. I was in a rush when I got them.

Last edited:
how many of yalls paint bubbled off from first day of use? I seasoned it very well
inside and out! I guess ill just steel brush it and spray some rustoleum on it?
Ya know. My SFB had a sticker on it that I couldn't get off but the first burn took that off and the paint. So instead of a steel brush and rustoleom I use veg oil
After each use. Rub it all over the pit while it's warm.. No rust just a nice gleam!!

Yep, you are "never" going to keep your paint looking spiffy in a char-griller type unit.  I lightly rub mine with paper towels and peanut oil on start up, and do the same during the cool down.  The SFB is brown on top instead of black, but there is no rust yet.  The rest of unit is shiny black. About every 2nd smoke, I also wipe a very light coating over the whole unit, in case they're any pin holes un-noticed in paint.  I usually just use the towel from wiping the sfb for the rest of it.  Already has enough oil on it for a light coat.

Last edited:
Yep, you are "never" going to keep your paint looking spiffy in a char-griller type unit.  I lightly rub mine with paper towels and peanut oil on start up, and do the same during the cool down.  It's brown on top instead of black, but there is no rust yet.  About every 2nd smoke, I also wipe a very light coating over the whole unit, in case they're any pin holes un-noticed in paint.  I usually just use the towel from wiping the sfb for the rest of it.  Already has enough oil on it for a light coat.
I seasoned mine, got many smokes before I needed to do anything. I now scrape it down every 5-6 uses, and then use high heat black spray paint to touch it up. Working well, no rust.

2 questions:

Im considering Jeff's rub recipe

I live in Mayberry with only a walmart

are all of his ingredients available there or does it call

for something special or hard to find?

beer can chicken

what times are yall smoking them at?

brining? seasoning?

thanks

2 questions:

Im considering Jeff's rub recipe
I live in Mayberry with only a walmart
are all of his ingredients available there or does it call
for something special or hard

You probably have all the ingredients in your cabinet right now. I bought the rub and sauce and have no regrets. Moded the recipe a little for my own preference. You also get a Texas rub recipe that I used on brisket. All great stuff. So simple, yet so so good!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky