Char-Griller Smokin Pro with firebox- Mods

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My CharGriller works fine and I have made almost no changes except raise the fire grate and take the guts out of the POS factory supplied therm. I also mostly cook with wood splits, which is the fuel these pits were made to use. These are not made to be a "set and forget" type pit like a WSM or a UDS, therefore people go thru all the mods to make them so. They work just fine if you are willing to tend the fire.

Last edited:
Well I got my CG modded up and thought I would share the pics. The only things I have done differently than most others are, I installed the channel for the lid gasket to sit in, is on the lid. I personally just didn't like the look of it being attached to the body. Also I had a extra thermometer so I punched out the knock-out in the SFB and put a thermometer in there as well. I used 2 of the longer bolts in the top of the SFB for the charcoal tray to rest on and a brick on the other end to level it out. The only thing I have left to do is drill out for the probe thermometer wire to go thru when needed and install the "Bigfoot" wheel kit or I kinda liked the idea of mounting it on a garden wagon too. Now I just gotta wait for my charcoal basket to be made and it's time to see what this baby will do. Thanks to all who have shared their mods on here.

[SIZE=16pt]I have read through all seventeen pages a few times now and I have seen a varying amount of fuel usage.  What has everyone found to be their average fuel uses over a six hour smoke for warm temps, cold temps and windy temps and with what mods you have made?  I only have so much time so I can only do a mod or two at a time so I am trying to figure out which ones will minimize fuel usage and then I will move to evening out the temps in a few months. Thanks in advance and you all have helped me out so much. [/SIZE]

My fuel usage is: one mound of ROyalOak hardwood charcoal, followed by as many logs as it takes. The last full load of ribs took about five hours total burn, and that was three logs (two cherry, one maple) after the initial coals.

It seems to me that all of you have gone to great lengths to make these smokers work.  Aren't there smokers on the market, obviously more expensive, that would work with out all of these changes? 

Actually, having done many of the mods I also got rid of most of them. The baffle, for example. While it does serve to even out temps a bit it also sends waaaay too much of the heat out the top of the firebox instead of into the cooking chamber. Getting rid of that baffle reduced my fuel usage substantially while having zero negative impact on the quality of my product. I also found myself using logs once the fire gets going, so I've ditched the coal basket. And I found that a bit of smoke leaking from the sides is actually a good thing, as it accomplishes exactly the same effect as bringing the chimney down to grate level!!

So the mods I do still use are:

Dual good thermometers

Remote thermometer for long overnight smokes

Flex tube to bring chimney down to grate level. Very important mod, very cheap to do.

A full size 18"x26" steel sheet pan. This, skewed slightly underneath the cooking grates, does the job of both the baffle plus the tuning plates more effectively while also catching most of the drippings. I have it sitting on bricks.

I just got mine together and seasoned, char griller duo with SFB

my lid on SFB is far away from closing, it has about a 1" gap !!!

after the initial seasoning burn in, is it ready to use? I see no mods on gas side, guess all is ok there!? I will not use gas grill much, but its there!

today is the very first ever use of my grill

very disappointed

Im doing ribs as I trype this

I cant get the fire to go out in the smoker box! I started with regular coal in my chimney lighter I had a basket of lump coal in box

I poured lit coals over lump and added mesquite chunks

I cant get fore to go out! it bubbled my paint! I seasoned inside and outs on my grill before use! HELP

how many of yalls paint bubbled off from first day of use? I seasoned it very well

inside and out! I guess ill just steel brush it and spray some rustoleum on it?

Seasoning won't have any effect on the paint. The paint bubbled because it got too hot. If you had your dampers fully closed, you have a bad air leak somewhere.

I think I cooked my ribs too long! super dark outside like it scorched outside

after peeling that away, they were tasty! I know its alot to learn, even the bones of the ribs were soft! I did the 3 2 1 method

maybe too much apple juice? i smoked for 3 hours, mopped and sprayed apple juice on both sides then foiled and smoked for 2 more

then removed and put it in an ice chest, it was wrapped in a towel

the meat is very tender under the hard outer

both dampers were wide open 

I only have the factory thermo

just wanted to smoke something!

My fire wouldnt go out! it was an actual fire for a long time!

and it is a wood chunk hog!

super air leaks! lid doesnt close very well

it has an inch gap on bottom of SFB (char griller replacing it)

any other ideas?

on the original crappy thermo, it was fluctuating from 200  -250, it was taking lots of coal and wood! 

does anybody have pictures or videos on how it should look in smoker box? the only wood that I could find was chunks, no actual logs

i know that will help! also, do yall start with lots of lump coal with lit coal on top then add wood?

on the original crappy thermo, it was fluctuating from 200  -250, it was taking lots of coal and wood!

does anybody have pictures or videos on how it should look in smoker box? the only wood that I could find was chunks, no actual logs

i know that will help! also, do yall start with lots of lump coal with lit coal on top then add wood?
I start with a couple of fully lit chimneys of lit lump, I preheat splits on top of the SFB in warm weather and in the SFB away from the fire in winter. Add a split as needed to maintain cooking temps.

If the factory therm was registering 250° then the grate temp was probably 300°or so, that combined with the sugar in the rub and apple juice most likely gave you the dark crust.

I start with a couple of fully lit chimneys of lit lump, I preheat splits on top of the SFB in warm weather and in the SFB away from the fire in winter. Add a split as needed to maintain cooking temps.

If the factory therm was registering 250° then the grate temp was probably 300°or so, that combined with the sugar in the rub and apple juice most likely gave you the dark crust.

I MUST have had way too much coals and wood in mine! 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky