Cast iron frying pan?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I only left mine with the top open. No other holes.
You want the wood to smolder, not flame up.
I was able to get plenty of smoke that way.
In case the question comes up, no aluminum. It is too easy for it to melt.

Is aluminum melting really a concern? Isn't the melting point of aluminum around 1200 degrees F?

Is aluminum melting really a concern? Isn't the melting point of aluminum around 1200 degrees F?
Absolutely correct ... but ... it's "forging temperature" (the temperature at which it can easily be bent) is one of the lowest of all metals, only about 600-900 degrees F. Thus, I suppose, under the right circumstance, with enough pressure applied, the aluminum object might begin to bend.

Absolutely correct ... but ... it's "forging temperature" (the temperature at which it can easily be bent) is one of the lowest of all metals, only about 600-900 degrees F. Thus, I suppose, under the right circumstance, with enough pressure applied, the aluminum object might begin to bend.

Ah, I see. Still, I think if my smoker gets anywhere near 600-900 degrees F, I’ll have much larger problems than bendy aluminum!

Ah, I see. Still, I think if my smoker gets anywhere near 600-900 degrees F, I’ll have much larger problems than bendy aluminum!
Hopefully your smoker will never get that hot, but he was putting wood chips in the pan which are then lit. I have no idea how hot they can get, but if they actually catch fire, I believe the local temperature, immediately around the chip, could actually approach the melting point of aluminum, even though the smoker itself might only be at 250-350 degrees F.

20180408_100627.jpg
Hi Joe,
Not sure if this post will help with your issue of using a CI pan.
I have a MB 30" propane rig.
I tossed the stock pan and use a CI pan now.
I used 3 long bolts to use as legs that gave the ability to raise or lower the pan to get the right distance off the burner.
I use chunks instead of chips.
I don't soak them either.
Usually put them in 45 minutes to an hour to get to TBS.
Here is a pic

I have a Masterbuilt 40" propane smoker. I used a cast iron pan for the first time the other day and it worked like a charm. The holes on the original chip pan are too big and causes the wood to catch fire way too easy

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky