Cast Iron Cooking.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

link

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Michigan
I know this is not smoking but I thought it would fit in General Discussion.

I recently started cooking with Cast Iron pans and now my normal everyday use pans are getting quite lonely. I have two 12" and one 8" pan (for now) and have been playing a bit.

Old Fashioned Sugar Cake (came out great)

Collard Greens with onion cooked with a bit of bacon grease.

Skinless/Boneless Garlic Chicken thighs (went with a side of rice)

Anyone else using CI?

Last edited:
Love cast iron cookware.

FYI
Most cast iron cooking and caring for threads I saw were in the Dutch oven forums. Check them out: delicious and creative stuff there.

I love Cast Iron, the more you use it, the tastier the food you cook with it gets. So far I just use cast iron pans and such. Smoking and grilling I'm good at too. Now to just master that tricky Dutch Oven cooking using coals!!!

Its the only thing that that I cook in anymore. A good Flaxseed oil seasoning and you'll have a better non-stick surface than any pan around!

I would say that CI and enameled cast iron pans get almost 90% of the cook time in our house. We have an electric cook top so the heat retention of the cast iron helps a ton.

Link you can do the seasoning outside on the grill, that is how I did mine no smoking the house up.
Nice Tip thanks. Now all I need to do is wait for the temps to get out of the negative and single digits and the 14 inches of snow to get off of my grill and I will be all set. 
biggrin.gif

Luckily all three of my pans are seasoned pretty well but I will keep that in mind for my next purchase when I find it.

The only way to make corn bread IMO! Also, I sear chicken on both sides with a little olive oil, then put it in the oven at 350 for about 30min....it's perfect! Using cast iron will add iron to your diet.

We have several probably over 40 years old we use on a regular basis, Can't make real corn bread without an Iron Skillet 

Gary

We received a 3 piece set as a wedding gift 43 years ago. You can see yourself in the biggest one. Over the years I have aquired enough to sink a boat. 12 qt. chili pot, 15" pizza pan I use to fry bacon, cornbread pan and several pots of varing sizes. Wife has some fancy stainless steel stuff but I stay away from that.

Nice Tip thanks. Now all I need to do is wait for the temps to get out of the negative and single digits and the 14 inches of snow to get off of my grill and I will be all set. :biggrin:

Luckily all three of my pans are seasoned pretty well but I will keep that in mind for my next purchase when I find it.

I take them and grease them up after washing. I'll put in the oven. Next time I have to bake something I preheat the oven for about a half hour then I'll take the pan out. I'm killing two birds with one stone. Lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky