Casian fish fry

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
Or cajun-Asian... That’s what I’m calling it anyway. This Asian-inspired fish fry we had tonight was certainly different from the norm. Some may even turn their noses up (I can think of several family members that would scoff), but we enjoyed this dinner so much, I had to share!
What started the whole idea was my looking through the fridge while the fish was thawing, looking for something to go along with this fresh caught bass my dad gave me. He is 77, retired, and gets to fish a private farm pond several days a week, just waiting for deer season. All while I work my butt off to save $$ so I can afford to hunt with him all fall!! But I digress.
I ran across a half rack of spare ribs I smoked over the weekend, and some shredded cabbage. Not sure why but I was immediately inspired. I wanted to make an Asian slaw to go along with the fried fish. Kinda thought fish tacos at that point but something about those ribs....
Regardless, I began to debone the ribs, and it hit me, rib egg rolls. Now I know, it doesn’t necessarily go with fish, but we rarely fry, and I had been wanting to try making egg rolls. The cabbage I was making slaw with would be a wonderful addition, so things started falling together from there. I got all the meat shredded, and pulsed it in my ninja. That alone tasted so good. The were smoky sauced ribs. So, sweet savory and smoky.
3CAE4B17-68FF-44A4-A081-C8444B20B484.jpeg
the texture and taste was delicious, could have done many things with this meat. But I added some shredded cabbage, green onion, horseradish aioli, and a couple Asian inspired sauces I have in the house (zea Thai chili and and Asian bbq sauce I bought online, Bachans) and some toasted sesame seeds. It was delish on its own
2FA02407-6377-4924-BE0E-ACECDF3114E5.jpeg
6920BD65-2346-4E7E-8656-38D4454B5BFD.jpeg
4BF71ECA-14AB-4C6A-A4ED-4864537E6037.jpeg
61A40A9B-2621-45EF-80A0-530A22A7CF68.jpeg
I added a slice of grueyere cheese to 4 of them, and 4 were left plain. Everything was ready for the fryer. Now to make the slaw and sauce for the egg rolls. I was out of green onion at this point so i just added red onion to the cabbage, the same sauce that I put in my egg roll mix along with some minced peanuts, and fresh cilantro. The combination was a hit! Sweet, salty, crunchy. Very different but excellent as well. The peanuts mixed well with the aioli to make really nice sauce that went well with everything.
My sauce was a little different. I used the same base ingredients, but I added fish sauce, oyster sauce, red chili paste and Peanut butter. Just a dash of the fish and oyster gave it a nice salty balance, and the chili’s gave the heat I wanted. Now to the grease.
I fired up my cast iron pot with peanut oil and got the grease up to 350. 26BBCF03-C2DA-4E26-8949-73D8D0E4AC91.jpeg
All ready for the egg rolls! I forgot to take a pic while they were in the grease, I had my hands full.
75FA7380-3549-486E-AF8C-15254B2B9F15.jpeg
they sure look good!
232D664D-0D47-47B3-B2B8-A30585692FCA.jpeg
34958514-917D-427E-8246-7DAACBB34CE1.jpeg
630C7A51-799C-4CC0-8B45-AD906F443839.jpeg
My plated pic Certainly a different way to enjoy an old staple. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 6211E7D9-5EFB-441E-A90B-E7874A035C34.jpeg
    6211E7D9-5EFB-441E-A90B-E7874A035C34.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 7
Those egg rolls look mighty appetizing to me saint.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: 73saint
Those egg rolls look and sound delicious Saint. Nice job on using what you have to make them. Very creative.

Like!

Interesting, creative, different, and super tasty I'd bet. Way to put together something that's just a very unique meal and congrats on the ride. Great looking meal for sure!!

Robert

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the kind words and of course the carousel ride is always nice!

That looks awesome! I love egg rolls that are different from the norm. I'd eat a plate of those no doubt! Very nice job!

Saint that is one hell of a meal man! Really like to flavors and ingredients you added together those egg rolls are money! Congrats on the well deserved carousel ride.

That looks awesome! I love egg rolls that are different from the norm. I'd eat a plate of those no doubt! Very nice job!
Thanks Sowsage! I even ate one cold, this morning. Still delicious!
Looks outstanding! Always cool to see something different, this qualifies!
Thanks Tander, I appreciate that. The older I get the more I enjoy different flavor profiles. It’s kinda cool.
Damn Saint, great job on the egg rolls, the bass and slaw are nice also.

BIG LIKE!

Congrats on the ride also!

John
Thanks John!
Saint that is one hell of a meal man! Really like to flavors and ingredients you added together those egg rolls are money! Congrats on the well deserved carousel ride.
Thanks! You know, that’s another great benefit to this site. Here is a meal we just sort of threw together. Had I not taken the time to make a thread, it would’ve never been repeated (or improved upon). Love having the SMF as a constant learning tool, as well as a reference for old stand-by recipes.

Mighty fine meal. I love experimenting with multi cultural flavors.
Try bacon crumbles in the egg roll next time. I didn't think it would go, but my buddy proved me wrong.
Shore Lunch Cajun is my favorite batter. Great on fish, even better on venison nuggets.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky