Pork Egg Rolls

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sack1971

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
Grey Eagle, MN
Made my first batch of egg rolls. Everything turned out great, except one ingredient, Asian five spice! That stuff ruined the taste of the egg rolls. I am so bummed. Anybody have a good recipe that doesn’t require a bunch of seasoning? I prefer to let my Japanese soy sauce provide the flavor.

Reactions: JLeonard
When I make lumpia I use beef with just tiny bit of salt and some pepper. I season very lightly since they're going to be dipped in sauce.

Made my first batch of egg rolls. Everything turned out great, except one ingredient, Asian five spice! That stuff ruined the taste of the egg rolls. I am so bummed. Anybody have a good recipe that doesn’t require a bunch of seasoning? I prefer to let my Japanese soy sauce provide the flavor.
What was the recipe you used? I'm careful with the five spice. It can overpower the taste.

Reactions: Redicans
Yes I learned that the hard way. Can garl
I made another batch today with chicken bouillon, sugar and bacon grease ( bacon up). Boiled cabbage in chicken stock and then sautéed in bacon grease with ground pork. I did add garlic and onion powder to the pork. Let’s just say it smelled better and tasted delicious. No 5 Star Asian spice smell!!!!!

As Steve said it, it can overpower. I love the 5 spice flavor but you need to go easy with it according to your taste for it. Growing up and living in Hawaii I have had many dishes with it and like it a lot but I also know if you over do it it can be hard on the palate. I would try again and go sparingly. In the right amount it is wonderful IMHO.

Reactions: JLeonard
For me 5 spice would be essential but as others said use sparingly. Brand and freshness dependent it can really overpower things fast. I like the flavors of tamari / soy and sesame to be predominant

Reactions: Sack1971
We eat egg rolls all the time, and we like shrimp, and we use those frozen baby shrimp. But the key is to use fresh cabbage and shred it yourself. BIG difference between that and the store bought mix. We use 5 spice in our recipe, but as said, just a pinch!
Al

Reactions: Sack1971
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky