Cash and Carry Lazzari Mesquite Lump

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nwdave

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
I don't know how many have a Cash and Carry near by, but if you use Lump, Cash and Carry has Lazzari Mesquite Lump-40 lb bags for  $13 and change.  Lazzari got an above average rating from Naked Whiz and his database evaluating the various Lump Charcoals available.  C and C doesn't usually keep a big stock or restock of this type of item.

Lazzari is great stuff, but just FYI for those  buying these big bags at C&C:
  • Some of the pieces are HUGE! So you need a small 5 lb. sledge and a place to break them into managle pieces... but you can definately tell they came from a tree! lol
  • Get a heavy duty fine screen (fireplace grade) to put on top of your chimney lighter. Lazzari doubles as a firework show when you light it - meaning it sparks like crazy!
But like I said it is great stuff and you can't beat C&C's price on that big bag.
biggrin.gif

I started this thread before opening the bag.  Since then, I've done a smoke with this lump and here's some observations. 

1.  Fireworks display?  No kidding.  Practically my own private 4Th of July display.  I had to put my AMNS (empty, of course) on top of the chimney to act as a fine screen.  Once the lumps settled down, it was a great burn.

2.  Lump size.  Did my own repacking into smaller plastic buckets w/lids for ease of handling and I gotta say, I think a 5 lb hammer might be a bit small.  I'd say there's more then a fair share of medium to large pieces.  One piece was about 4 inches in diameter and about 7 inches long.  Definitely part of a tree.  It's OK, I've got several sledge hammers that will work just fine.  That's what a plastic bag and a concrete patio deck are for, aren't they?  This stuff will work just fine for me, especially at this price.

3.  I read somewhere in my trolls thru the Internet that Lump doesn't carry much odor with it, no matter it's wood type origin.   I found this to be true last night.  Didn't notice a Mesquite odor at all.

For those that don't know, Cash and Carry is set up to provide small restaurants, cafes and the like with bulk, economical purchases but they also sell to the public which is great for many of us.  Maybe you have something similar in your areas but under different names.  I've seen it mentioned on several threads about this type of seller.  Restaurant supply generally the heading.

~Dave

There isn't any here at FAA'A either.

a7e8db3d_CashCarry001.jpg

I don't want to start a controversy, but why would you break up the large chunks?  Doesn't Naked Whiz rate the lump charcoal as to how many large pieces it contains?  The lump I use is locally produced and it has pieces the size of grapefruit and branches 2"x 8", I just use them as is, what am I missing?

Thanks,

Gene

does the mesquite add anything to the taste?  Not with this lump.  It is a strong would?   If its not lump, it has been my experience that Mesquite was too strong a smoke for my liking.   Would you still need to add your own chuncks?  In the context of my question, that's what I'm trying to find out.  I would imagine so as the lumps burn quicker than briqs.

There isn't any here at FAA'A either.

I don't want to start a controversy, but why would you break up the large chunks?  Doesn't Naked Whiz rate the lump charcoal as to how many large pieces it contains?  The lump I use is locally produced and it has pieces the size of grapefruit and branches 2"x 8", I just use them as is, what am I missing?

Thanks,

Gene
Apparently you don't have the cute little Weber side baskets that my wife purchased for the OTG.  One on each side or combined in the center for direct or indirect smoking and grilling.  Not only are they cute, but they actually work for their intended purpose.  The large chunks won't fit in them.  Alternatively, if I use the lump in a ring shape around the perimeter of the fire grate of the OTG, that large chunk is going to be diagonal across.  Yes, Naked Whiz includes in part, the lump size in their overall evaluation, but that's only part of the evaluation process.  I'm not trying to build a bonfire but a controlled burn that will sustain a continuous level of heat/smoke for periods of time greater than 6 hours, hopefully in the pursuit of a brisket or other meat that requires long smoking times.  My frame of reference is the fire box of a WSM or Weber 22.5 OTG, nothing more, nothing less.  Al's pretty much answered my question especially since he uses a WSM.

Obviously AK can afford his empiricist attitude to anything other than lump but many can't due to lack of availability.

Dave,

I was trying to add a little humor, sorry 'bout that.

No I don't have the Weber side baskets, but I do have a WSM 18.5" and as to sustaining a continuous level of heat/smoke for periods longer than six hours I stack the larger pieces around the charcoal ring to keep the smaller pieces from falling through the holes and the long pieces I arrange on the grate to help keep the smaller pieces from falling through also, I then arrange the medium sized pieces on top and pour the smaller pieces over them to fill in the voids, ...works for me, I've gone 16 hours without adding fuel and still had lump left to burn.  

However, with the added info now I understand why you are breaking up the larger pieces and that works for you.

Gene

Dave,

I was trying to add a little humor, sorry 'bout that.

No I don't have the Weber side baskets, but I do have a WSM 18.5" and as to sustaining a continuous level of heat/smoke for periods longer than six hours I stack the larger pieces around the charcoal ring to keep the smaller pieces from falling through the holes and the long pieces I arrange on the grate to help keep the smaller pieces from falling through also, I then arrange the medium sized pieces on top and pour the smaller pieces over them to fill in the voids, ...works for me, I've gone 16 hours without adding fuel and still had lump left to burn.  

However, with the added info now I understand why you are breaking up the larger pieces and that works for you.

Gene

LOL... Gene when we say BIG pieces in the Lazzari bag, we mean friggin branches the size of your arm and about as long. Unless you got a monster firebox you have to break them up to use them, even after you smack it with a big hammer you still have pieces the size of your fist for the most part, so you still get a great burn.

Terry - once wood has been charcoalized it has had all of the volitiles heated out of it. It is those same volitiles that give us the "flavor" we strive for, so once mesquite is charcoal all the way through it is neutral in flavor. I had the same worry first time I used Lazzari... heh-heh.

Dave - just a suggestion... keep the hose handy and have it set to a fine mist spray. I have a wooden deck so when I light mine I hose down the entire area first and get everything good and wet... then start the "firework show!" lol.

I have a metal watering can dedicated to adding hot water as needed.  I use it to wet down the area.  I'm thinking about grabbing a couple more bags (yeah, I know it's hoarding, but in this case I consider it more of self preservation).  That pallet only had about 25 bags left on it.  The next nearest location for decent lump (Royal Oak) is 35 miles away at a Superstore Wally's world.

This is an old thread but I really enjoyed reading it!  Thanks.. I'm trying to find this Coal locally in the 40lb bags, I see that Costco has it listed but I have to go to see if the local one (clackamas) actually carries it

~Reggie

YES the cash and carry on 82nd drive in clackamas  carries the 40# lazzari charcoal it's not on the same isle with the other smoking/charcoal stuff it's on the end of the next isle over 
439.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: reggie sunset
Thanks PDX210,

I went to C and C.  They are running a special, as noted by NWDave, I bought 4 bags for $11.29 each!  I should have bought more, my wife just told me it ended yesterday.  But even still $13 for #40 is pretty good.  Also I didn't realize how big a #40 bag is... so I think these will last me the summer.

~Reggie

120 lbs?  Is that all?  Well, maybe if you stretch it.  Say, didn't you brag on another thread that you smoked year round?  If that's the case, you might want to stock up some more bags after October or so.  People chuckle when they see my Q area under tarps, but they don't laugh so much when it's December or January and I'm smoking a turkery, just cuz I can....  Still waiting for April Showers to go away.

Thanks PDX210,

I went to C and C.  They are running a special, as noted by NWDave, I bought 4 bags for $11.29 each!  I should have bought more, my wife just told me it ended yesterday.  But even still $13 for #40 is pretty good.  Also I didn't realize how big a #40 bag is... so I think these will last me the summer.

~Reggie

The C&C is  one of my favorite places they also have a good selection of meat and the good over sized hamburger buns! 

I run through a  40#  of lazzari a month during the summer even at the regular price it's a good deal the smaller bags i thing they are 5-7# at the local store are 8.00 vs. 40# 13.00  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky