Candied sliced jalapenos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shawnc

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 4, 2015
Saw this on the internet the other day and decided I should try this. The sauce that these cook in was very sweet with a sudden hit of heat that I was worried it would be too hot for the individual jalapenos. Once they cooled down the initial flavor is sweet followed by a very nice jalapeno mild heat

Attachments

• IMG_20200811_170655299.jpg
    IMG_20200811_170655299.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200811_165134106.jpg
    IMG_20200811_165134106.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20200811_164707428.jpg
    IMG_20200811_164707428.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200811_171149971.jpg
    IMG_20200811_171149971.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 14
Those look great. I love a sweet jalapeno. We always do ours in a bread and butter pickle brine and can them for the year. You can do a lot of things with them!

Reactions: shawnc and jcam222
looks delicious. When I pickle jalapenos I don't boil them. I bring the liquid to a boil, pour off half of it and cool it in the fridge. Couple hours later after the reserve liquid is cold, I bring the rest back up to heat (simmer only) and add the jalapeno's (and sometimes some thick slabs of red onion) to the hot liquid. I go simple - 1 part cider vinegar, 1 part white vinegar, about a tsp of salt per cup of liquid, a bit of brown sugar - probably a third of cup to the roughly 3 cups of liquid.
Steep the jalapenos for only about 60seconds in the hot liquid, drain, add the jalopenos to the cold reserve.

This is not a canning technique, but the jalopenos retain texture and I like the crunch. My tell for when to drain the hot ones is just when they start changing color, that bright green in your second photo. I would eat that whole jar!!!

EDIT!!!! 1 part H20 also to the liquids!!!!

looks delicious. When I pickle jalapenos I don't boil them. I bring the liquid to a boil, pour off half of it and cool it in the fridge. Couple hours later after the reserve liquid is cold, I bring the rest back up to heat (simmer only) and add the jalapeno's (and sometimes some thick slabs of red onion) to the hot liquid. I go simple - 1 part cider vinegar, 1 part white vinegar, about a tsp of salt per cup of liquid, a bit of brown sugar - probably a third of cup to the roughly 3 cups of liquid.
Steep the jalapenos for only about 60seconds in the hot liquid, drain, add the jalopenos to the cold reserve.

This is not a canning technique, but the jalopenos retain texture and I like the crunch. My tell for when to drain the hot ones is just when they start changing color, that bright green in your second photo. I would eat that whole jar!!!

EDIT!!!! 1 part H20 also to the liquids!!!!
Thank you for the information. I want to try this and see if the sweetness remains. Right now, they are sweet for about 4 seconds and then all of a sudden the heat hits. They are not crisp. Will try this weekend

Thank you for the information. I want to try this and see if the sweetness remains. Right now, they are sweet for about 4 seconds and then all of a sudden the heat hits. They are not crisp. Will try this weekend

If you want them to taste sweet add more brown sugar or maybe even white sugar to the reserve, shake/stir it to dissolve then cool.

My way doesn't produce really sweet, it's just a hint of sweetness because I use so little sugar.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky