Started some sour dough starter

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
So I have a sweet bread starter that I have used for years, Makes very good bread and buns.
Decided to try and start a sour dough starter 3 days ago. Followed this guys video:

Very easy to follow video.
Fed it this morning and it has tripled in size. This is day 3 and looks to be doing good. :emoji_wink:
I have a farmer up the road that used to have dairy cows. He now has a flour mill. Says cows don't make money and are a pain in the butt. Making flour has more profit. Think his flour is pretty good stuff.
Support local I say.
20240311_200423.jpg

20240311_200257.jpg

I have a starter that I use for breads and pizza doughs, started it during the early days of covid. I keep it in the fridge and feed it weekly, using the discard to add flavors to my breads/pizza doughs. When I want to make a "full" sourdough bread, I pull some out a few days in advance and feed it every 12 hours or so to get the size up large enough to ferment the batch of bread.

I used some whole wheat organic flour to get it going, but usually use hi-gluten flour to feed it and put it back in the fridge. It's very versatile.

The main reason I wanted the sour dough starter was for pizza crust. I'm not a big bread guy and don't go through a lot of it so baking bread is not high on my list. Like I said I have my sweet bread starter from another forum that I got way back in 2012 from a very special person who is not with us anymore. Way over 100 year old starter. I believe BGKYSmoker (Nepas) might even still have his as he was very good friends with the person also.
The sweet bread starter is exposive lol
20230824_092753.jpg
20230824_194415.jpg

I like making bread.....And you guys have me intrigued with the sour dough breads. May have to look into a starter.

Jim

Reactions: KBFlyer
I like making bread.....And you guys have me intrigued with the sour dough breads. May have to look into a starter.

Jim
Hey Jim
If you follow the video to get one going its pretty easy to make your own.
I fed mine at 8AM and it was at the black line. It is now 10:20 and its doubled and then some.
This is day four.
I'm going to keep this up for 7 days and it should be ready to bake with and store one cup in the fridge.
20240312_102411.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
Just after I made my last post I went and knocked it back down again. Put my action camera in with it on timelaspe. Yes I know my oven needs a good cleaning but the maid has the day off. LOL
this is pretty much in 2 hours and its back up again. :emoji_wink:

Okey I started this sour dough starter on Monday. Never have tried to make my own so I gave it a go. Watched a lot of youtube videos and pretty much figured out what each one was trying to say to get one going. I have a starter but it is not a sour dough starter so I know how to feed them, they all seem to be pretty much the same routine. After waking up today I fed it again. In a few hours it doubled in size. So around 2PM I decided to dump some of it except one cup. Added 1.5 cups of flour and one cup of 110 degree water to it. Just checked on it at 9PM and holy moly it almost blew the lid off.
I think I have a winner.
20240314_211251.jpg

• Love
Nice starter.

I dont feed but just couple times week.
Ya after getting it going from scratch I decided to go with the sweet bread instructions with 1 cup of starter, 1.5 cups of flour and 1 cup of 110°F water.
This was going to be the last feed and it really took off. So now its time to make things from it. I'm thinking pizza dough. Any good recipes for it or should i just google it.

So now its time to make things from it. I'm thinking pizza dough.
I just did some pizza dough last week . I used my regular dough recipe , and added some starter to it . I don't get to technical on most things , but it was fantastic . 3 day ferment . The stretch was great and the sourdough taste was perfect .
Mixed up a batch yesterday for pizza dough and a Boule .
It's addicting .

So now its time to make things from it.
Here's something to put on the list . Formula in post #5

I'm hooked on 'em . Made several batches already .
20240107_161725.jpg

Been watching this thread and youtubing a lot.....And looking at recipes online for breads.....Bout to follow you into this rabbit hole!

Jim

• Haha
Reactions: KBFlyer
So basically any jar will work? I have some empty quart pickle jars in the cabinet. Can I use them for the starter? Just trying to think what I got around the house to start with.

Jim

So basically any jar will work? I have some empty quart pickle jars in the cabinet.
Jim , I am not the expert on this . Yes you can use that to get started , but straight sides without a thread on lid is the best .
I'm using this right now . My Son bought it for me for Christmas . It does have threads on it .
It came with the canvas cover , a hard lid and a long silicone paddle .
20240107_120533.jpg
I use that tall one to bake from . Then I keep 2 mason jars in the fridge .
I get them a couple days before I want to use it , to feed it and get it back to ready .
Right or wrong , that's just how I do it . The tall one gets cleaned right away , but the other 2 don't . I use out of them and re feed . That dried starter is like concrete .

20231104_070249.jpg

Well chopsaw chopsaw enabled me and BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker is getting me started. Been watching a ton of YouTube and Google work…@kbflyer may be picking your brain also!

View attachment 692563

Jim
I came across this video recipe today. Never thought about adding buttermilk to the mix but I can see how this would help getting it going.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky