Can you use too much dry brine?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yodelhawk

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Great Falls, Mt
Attempting to smoke my first piece of salmon. Found a recipe for a dry brine. Since I only have 2 small pieces I cut the recipe in half. Was still more than enough to cover the fish. So. Can you use too much of that stuff? It said to brine 24 hr. Sound about right? As I said, my first attempt ever at any fish. Any help would be appreciated. Stay safe

20190814_123449.jpg
20190814_123143.jpg

Attachments

• 20190814_123143.jpg
    20190814_123143.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 2
Sure... You dont need a Pound of Salt for 8 ounces of fish...What's the recipe? I like 2 parts Brown Sugar to 1 part Kosher Salt with 1/8 part Coarse Black Pepper and 1/4 tsp Cure #1 for each pound of fish.
SO... For 1 pound of Salmon, that's
1 Cup Brown Sugar,
1/2C Kosher Salt,
1 Tablespoon Black Pepper and
1/4 teaspoon Cure #1.
Cover all sides with Dry Mix, wrap and Refigerate, 6 hours if Smoke/Cooking to 145°F...Or...Cure 48 hours for eating Raw Cured...JJ

Reactions: yodelhawk
Dave...Using the Percentages, does your Salmon come out Lox Dry to be thin sliced raw? I love the concept. I like 2% Salt in other meat. Should work for Fish...JJ

Sure... You dont need a Pound of Salt for 8 ounces of fish...What's the recipe? I like 2 parts Brown Sugar to 1 part Kosher Salt with 1/8 part Coarse Black Pepper and 1/4 tsp Cure #1 for each pound of fish.
SO... For 1 pound of Salmon, that's
1 Cup Brown Sugar,
1/2C Kosher Salt,
1 Tablespoon Black Pepper and
1/4 teaspoon Cure #1.
Cover all sides with Dry Mix, wrap and Refigerate, 6 hours if Smoke/Cooking to 145°F...Or...Cure 48 hours for eating Raw Cured...JJ
Thanks to all for the responses!
I did not use any cure. The brine was more than enough to cover the fish. Was just wondering if there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing?" I guess what I'm asking is should I have used just enough to cover the fish or was it ok to incase it like I did? (See pic)

I lay down about a 1/2" of Cure on the bottom of a pan. Place the fish, then generously cover each layer and the top. 1/4 to 1/2" does the job. Dave's percentages may use a slightly different procedure...JJ

I did not use any cure. The brine was more than enough to cover the fish. Was just wondering if there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing?" I guess what I'm asking is should I have used just enough to cover the fish or was it ok to incase it like I did? (See pic)

When doing meat curing, I always weigh my ingredients so I know with great accuracy what the salt/sugar/cure contents are.

If you are going to do meat curing in the future, I would suggest you get a scale to weigh your meat/salt/sugar and one to weigh the cure.

You will get safe and consistent results in that manner.

Not to hijack but wondering why some of these recipes have cure #1. Is that if you plan to cold smoke for lox?

I think in order to answer the actual question you asked:
If you mix the right amount of each ingredients, it doesn't matter if it covers the fish by 1/2" or 2 feet, but I would use as little as possible just for $$$ reasons. However it won't hurt anything but your Wallet!!

Bear

I think in order to answer the actual question you asked:
If you mix the right amount of each ingredients, it doesn't matter if it covers the fish by 1/2" or 2 feet, but I would use as little as possible just for $$$ reasons. However it won't hurt anything but your Wallet!!

Bear

I agree with Bear - If you pull the salmon out of the dry brine at the suggested time, it should come out fine. You might notice how much of the salt/sugar mix never dissolved and have a better idea how much you want to use next time.

My first question would be are you planning on hot-smoking or cold-smoking the salmon?

If your hot smoking then your 2:1 ratio can be done in any amount you want. Personally, for the amount of fish your smoking I would go with a .5 cup of sugar and .25 cup of salt. Put it in a plastic bag and give it the shake-n-bake treatment. Then place the fish in a glass pan for the twenty four hour chill period. If cold smoking with cure then you'll need exact weights.

Chris

I use a very simple ratio of 4/1 ratio (brn sugar / non iodized salt). This is for finger food, not a main entree. Brine time depends on the size of fish pieces.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky