Cajun Hot Smoked, Cajun Smoked, Keilbassa Sausages!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
So.........Thanksgiving Week I made the andouille. Now its time for sausages.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/172624/andouille-from-monster-casing-foamheart

No I have not bought a grinder.......Grrrrr...... I ground up 2 cryppacked twin packs..... BY HAND! No pictures!

After grinding it all, I add the seasoning to the first 10 pounds, its for the neighbor and he wanted hot sausage. I let him taste the sample, I told it it woulkd get hotter, he asked for more cayenne. LOL.... So I did! I will guarantee you it gonna take the hyde off his tongue!

I mixed in the seasoning first night allowed to percolate over night. The next day I added some cure and 1/3 of a cup of H2O.

Pull out the 5# stuffer. Finally some pictures!

Then turn 'em into links. X2

Then I am pulling, cleaning, watering and checking for holes another casing to set in a bowl of water over night to use tomorrow.

I preheat the smoker, I lite and set the AMPs  on the lower bars.

I opened the new cold smoker, and pulled its chimney, seems the AMPs will not stay lite unless its so with a cold smoke attachment. Thats cool with me, just wish I had known instead have having to think for myself! I hurt my brain! Box open, chimney out.

I loaded today's sausage in the smoker.

Mixing up the sausage for tomorrow!

Now while we are waiting, My poor Maverick after 15+ years of dependable service, gave up the ghost this week. So I had to purchase a new one. I opt'd for 732 because of its extended range. So many buttons!

I then learned that the 732's setting could only go foward. which means my poor simple mind woulod have to think instead of just getting close and backing up. I can do this. Then I find out that the lowest temp alarm setting was around 150. While my old one was set in increments of 10 degrees starting at 10 degrees. Learning from that great master Mr. BearCarver, that the best way is to warm smoke starting at 100, then 110, then 120, then 130. That is in that magic 100 to 140 IT smoke absorption range. So I thought and thought, couldn't figure out a way. Hmmmmm..........

Todays smoke will be old style, time, touchie, feelie, smell, and visual.

Heres the sausage after 4 hours smoke. hard to tell here but is a beautiful red color with dry see thru casing. Beautiful!

In to the kitcken, and just incase the sausage stayed below 155, I was trying for below 130 IT actually. I heated up the old roasted. Broke out the little pocket thermometer and probed it!

155 IT I pulled it, and chilled it.

I dryed it and hung it in the project reefer to mellow and dry for the night. Buddy came by and picked it up. I didn't get a finished picture. Sorry.

OK, the seasoning and the sausage have set all day, I add some cure and bit of water and some SMALL amount of added pepper. Turn on the manual mixer. Cold hands warm heart, right?

I start again loading casing. BTW is 38 MM casings. Great size. Oh, it was a new bag from Butcher & Packers, Don't give up after the sausage naking last year, these hanks of casings are so much less frustrating this year. So if you are new like me, don't get to aggrivated, it gets better believe me (easier loading the stuffing tube too!).

Now to stuffing sausage again, back to the topic. This is to set in the reefer overnite for tomorrow's smoking.

I do love my 5# stuffer, but sometimes a bit larger would be Ok too! <chuckles> Second barrel to load. BTW Thats the deceased Maverick.

Trays ready for the reefer for tomorrow's smoke. Another 10#

I happen to have 10 more pounds ground, I remember a friend sent me some of his Keilbasa seasoning. Great time to try it. The spices and the destructions.

It says to use 1 toe of garlic per 5 pounds. I am from Louisiana and we be a lubbing out garlic so I decided they must have larger garlic where he lives.

The recipe says a small mince, so I minced a couple and squeezed the rest. Added it to the water and spices which I can say didn't desolve but the cure did. I normally don't add cure till just before stuffing but it was added to the seasoning packet. I am sure it will be OK tomorrow (I hope it doesn't get too hard, I can always add a touch of water).

Thats it for today.

Will update tomorrow.

BTW Butcher called today and said she had pork rib roasts and prime rib roasts on sale for Christmas. I frenched a pork rib roast last year, it was impressive, unbelievably delicious, juicy, tender and I think it was under 2.00/lb. YOu just can't beat that with a stick!

I might have to do this again............

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/155594/pork-crown-rib-roast

Later tater.

Last edited:
Reactions: crazymoon
A lot of work but sure looks good.
Your butcher calls you? How much meat do you buy a week? :biggrin:

Excellent post and some nice looking sausage, I'm wondering like Dan about your butcher connection !
icon_biggrin.gif

A lot of work but sure looks good.
Your butcher calls you? How much meat do you buy a week?
biggrin.gif
Thanks Dan and it does get a bit hectic, but down to my last contractor ......... of course its also only what? Three weeks to the new year? Had planned on having this years projects done before Thanksgiving.

Excellent post and some nice looking sausage, I'm wondering like Dan about your butcher connection !
icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks Crazy!

OK, you want your butcher to be your friend, like the banker, the tax accountant, the insurance man, the lawyer, your doctor, etc..... Take 'em hunting fishing ball games golf then when you all get older you'll note that they'll start staking you. <Chuckles>

The butcher is a new addition to my list. I take her some bacon, she did slice it and vac-pac it for me, jerky for her camp trip when she goes, just little stuff that. When I make something she gets some. She is a good sounding board when she tastes something and its missing something, she usually can make suggestions. I would have never done bacon except for her, she had a case of bacon someone had ordered taking up space in her freeze box and wanted to get rid of it. 7 sides of bacon @ .50/lb. Thats how I learned making bacon. At the same time one of the butchers at another of their stores trys to make sausage and andouille. WE have learned a lot thru each other (his sausage sux) but they still sell it.

As much as you'll be using the butcher, its good to be buddies! Besides she's single, and loves to hunt, and a sweet little cajun girl.

Foam, That is some fine looking sausage. Maybe one of these days you will spring for an electric grinder. But then again if it aint broke don't fix it. I agree that everyone should have a butcher shop in their pocket.

Happy smoken.

David
Thanks David I apprceiate that.

I am sitting on go to buy a grinder by was hoping for some Christmas discounts. I hate that for what I need its a #10 & 12. That is the smallest you can get a 3/4" plate for and I do grind my own chili meat also. I also think maybe a 3/4" plate could possibly make the right size for andouille and I could quit cutting it by hand.

That 10/12 is about 400.00 smackers and I am just a rookie. LOL... I guess you gotta do whatcha gotta do.... come on sales!

Last edited:
Hmmm, guess I gotta go find me a sweet looking little Butcher Gal and start flirting with her....seems to work for Kevin. Great load of sausage and a b-u-tiful pork roast to gaze upon. I just happen to have one of those in the freezer needing some smoke.....thanks for the motivation.....Willie

Today, we fire up the the smoker. Preheat at 275, light AMPs and allow to start smoldering. Today I am going with the cold smoker, although the AMPs is great for getting some smoke in the box while preheating and dewatering .

Back inside and cleaning and checking some more of the 38MM casings. Course I still have about 5 lbs. worth of casing still on the tube from last night. But just in case I want a bit more. This should exceed 5# worth of keilbassa.

The masterbuilt cold smoker, I save firing it up till the sausage gets to 80 or 90 IT.

Then it goes crazy! Turbo smoke!

But before that I tried some pecan in the chip tray. Cold smoker top open, vent fully open, loads of air flow.

Ouch! too much air is not always a good thing.

I load some nice Cajun sausage to the box. The pan on the bottom is for the neighbors dog! Did I mention he's my buddy?

After 45 mins. at 275, I decide its time to reduce the temp to 150 and hit the "turbines to speed" button! Look it has taken some color.

Sadly the AMPs has done it duty.

I move the AMPs over to the MES30, did I mentuion all this smoking sausage has made me hungry for "Nekkid" chicken?

Back inside, load the extra casing on the tube, fill the LEM with the Keikbassa that has sat in the reefer since last night and start squeezing out sausages!

So I still had casing left from last night loaded, I figured maybe 5 lbs worth, I add the new which I assume will do inexcess of 5 lbs. I start squeezing out sausages.

LOL... first time in my life I ran out of cleaned and prep'd casing....LOL

But still made some keilbassa sausages. Maybe 1 1/2, 2 pounds left (in the bag. Thinking of things to do with it.

Sausage in the reefer for the night.

The cajun sausage has been in the smoker now for about 4 hours, 130 IT (old school) LOL

I know ya can't see it too good, Wish I knew how to use thos little camera!

I found a flash!

Unloaded into the house to the roaster to cook to 155, then into the ice bath.

Dried and headed to the reefer over night to mellow and maybe get some of that red color back.

Oh did I mention a Nekkid chicken dinner earlier?

LOL.. what do the rich folks have to compare? Truffles?

And tomorrow we will cut a peice of cajun sausage open, and smoke some keilbasa, no telling what else.

TTFN

WOW, everything looks great!. I don't know how to give points.  But I will say that Foam is becoming a suasage gury(pobally not spelled right, spelling was never my strong point), and it looks like he is working on becoming a master gardener too!

Thanks Ed

Everything looks great & tasty Foam ! Very nice !
drool.gif

beercheer.gif
Thank you sir, just think how easy it would be with your master sous chefs!!

Someone give Foam some
points.gif
 on this fine thread.  Very well done Foam!!!  Love your threads.  Reinhard
Thank my friend, its a real compliment. Its really the folks like you here on the board that have made it apossible. I thank you all.

WOW, everything looks great!. I don't know how to give points.  But I will say that Foam is becoming a suasage gury(pobally not spelled right, spelling was never my strong point), and it looks like he is working on becoming a master gardener too!

Thanks Ed
Thanks Ed. With all the help available here you can pretty much learn anything you'd like. Oh  about smoking. LOL

Howdee again.........

Today we smoked the keilbasa, we made Pop's breakfast links (w/ maple syrup!), and I experimented with the Keilbasa left over after yesterday's misjudgement.

Today it was all apple! And I lubbed it!

So last night I had about 7 pounds of kielbasa (should have had 10 but stupid me)

So I fired up the smoker, you know the drill, yada yada yada....... And in it goes.

Today I am using the Masterbuilt cold smoker attachment, with wetted Apple chips.

Last night I pulled out a couple of sheep casing, cleaned, checked, and left in water over night. Well of course I am NOT going to make all this good snoked sausage and not save some for Pops breakfast links

I love this stuff and I thank Pop for sharing and his Dad for being a master craftsman. This time I thought I would try something different. Not that I expected it to get any better, looking for just as good as with a bit of red pepper flake and some small amount of real maple syrup.

You know you need a qualified master taster to get anything right. My Pop said three times how good that sausage was, best I ever did before was get the nod.

I actually got 5 hours of smoke today and I decide to cook it in the smoker the last hour. Look at the color! That wetted apple chip is da bomb!

I take bad pictures. I didn't throw in the ice bath either.

They are soooo pretty that color is outstanding and the smell .... I may get a link and sleep with it tonight!

Heres after only 6 hours in the reefer.

BTW thats for a total of 1 Cup wetted apple chips.

I didn't take any pictures of the experiment so I'll explain. I had about 2 lbs of keilbasa left (see above for stupid reason), so I put it in sheeps casing. Thats right, polish garlic sausage in sheeps casing. I twisted links about 1/2 the size of the above breakfast sausage. I didn't smoke it, I still may, but I was sort of thinking about how handy it would be for a drop in party or guests. Just grab it from the freezer, drop it frozen into a chafing dish of hot BBQ sauce.. It would be like ity bity keilbasa smokie sausages BBQ'd? That sounds quick and easy to me. Like those bags of little smokie sausages that they have at the fancy parties that always taste the same. I can't Imagine it not tasting a buch better than those.

BTW I need to thank Boyjko. Its his keilbasa, and its really a winner. Excellent blend my friend, really great stuff. Besides the spices, hes another of the sausage guru's which has always been a great help and inspiration with his sausages. I can't wait to see what he christens that new pit with! Thank you Boykjo!

Thats it, I am outta meat, its been a week of making and smoking and I slept great every night. I have to say that the last load, the keilbasa is my most favorite. I'll cut a cajun sausage and a keilbasa tomorrow and let yas see the Bare insides.

My reefers smell so good with the sausage in them, it been fun, I don't know which is better eatting them or running out again so I can do it again!

Thanks for checking it out and if I don't tell you again, I hope you and your's have a safe and Happy Holiday season. May all your dreams come true!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky