Burning dust in the AMNTS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Never got around to lighting one after supper so I decided to smoke some bluefish today so I'm giving it a try.Really had to let it go outside for a good 20 minutes to get it going,its been in the smoker for about 15 minutes and producing TBS though a little on the weak side at the moment.

It's different from whole pellets for sure . I'm so used to the heavy smoke . I'm getting ready to give it a try again today also .

Worked awesome for me,I got just about 4 hours out of the 6" tube.I have an 8lb butt going on later,very interested to see how many hours I get out of the 12".

Never did get around to that 8lb butt but I do have a 3.5lb brisket flat in today,it went in at 6am.I used two 6" tubes in my MES30,the first tube lasted until 10am and the second lasted until 1:40pm,that's closing in on almost 8hrs of low continuous TBS with the door only opening once.Should have used a 12" tube and not open the door at all...next time.

The combo of crushed pellets and u-bolt mod really makes the AMNTS very versatile.On long smokes like this its the only way I'll do it going forward at this point.

Thanks chopsaw for starting this thread,its been a game changer for me!

Been meaning to get back to this . I did some smoked sausage before Christmas . I used the 12 " tube in the mailbox . Wasn't happy with the color , but the smell and flavor was great . The smoke is so light from what I'm used to , but I like it . I think the 6 " tube works better . I also think it needs to be inside the smoker . Keep posting ur thoughts Norm , I'm watching .

I put the tube(s) inside the smoker bottom left under the water pan.The brisket I did yesterday is the best I've done in the MES,going to post some pics in the beef section.

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
Going to do this again with a whole chicken tomorrow.Will post results but I do believe the end result will be awesome.Completely sold on smoking this way in the MES.

Going to do this again with a whole chicken tomorrow.Will post results but I do believe the end result will be awesome.Completely sold on smoking this way in the MES.

Wait for it... wait for it... Oh! Never got a roundtoit! Darn it!

I dissolve pellets by adding water to them. Once broken down, I put them in a heavy aluminum pan I have and bake them in my MES 30 till dry.
Wa-La Oodles and Oodles of saw dust.
A 1/4 size steam table pan works great as well.

I use dust for everything I smoke now.

Going to do this again with a whole chicken tomorrow.
Norm did you get to do the chicken ?

I got a Ham hanging now . 6 " tube with hickory and oak dust . Inside the smoker . Really makes some nice smoke like this .

Norm did you get to do the chicken ?

I got a Ham hanging now . 6 " tube with hickory and oak dust . Inside the smoker . Really makes some nice smoke like this

I did,just spaced to post results,chicken came out awesome.I used a 6" with apple/hickory mix...tube was still making smoke when the chicken came out.

Was going to throw down on some pulled pork for the Pats/Chiefs game but we're in for some really crappy weather tomorrow,freezing rain and ice.If it were snow no problem that's easy to deal with,but the ice is a different story.I could have done it today but I only just got home now.

Doing another brisket today and doing exactly like last one.At 193 right now so I'm at exactly 8 hours and the second 6" tube is still smoking.

I've done enough smokes now to say the AMNTS with u-bolt mod and crushed pellets are a winner,the TBS using this method is perfect.I can't thank chopsaw enough for starting this thread!

The pellets I ground this time are Pitboss hickory.They were all I had left...guess I need to get my lazy @$$ to the store before next weekend!

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
I can't thank chopsaw enough for starting this thread!
Happy to see you took notice and tried it . It does work good . I did the ham and it came out great . I think I lost the pictures , my laptop decided to stop working . Have to check my phone .

I have a big box of Bradly pucks and an MES 30 smoker, can’t really use the pucks in the smoker. I see on this post people are reducing pellets to sawdust and using sawdust in a tube smoker. Any reason I can’t use my grain grinder to reduce Brably pucks to sawdust and use that sawdust in my 6” tube?

I have a big box of Bradly pucks and an MES 30 smoker, can’t really use the pucks in the smoker. I see on this post people are reducing pellets to sawdust and using sawdust in a tube smoker. Any reason I can’t use my grain grinder to reduce Brably pucks to sawdust and use that sawdust in my 6” tube?
Don't see why not . Let us know how it works .

Don't see why not . Let us know how it works .
Just got the 6” tube smoker in the mail loaded with pellets. Since I’ve never used the tube I figured I use the tube first with the pellets giving me a reference point then try sawdust. Just hoping the tube made for pellets won’t over fire with sawdust.

Just got the 6” tube smoker in the mail loaded with pellets. Since I’ve never used the tube I figured I use the tube first with the pellets giving me a reference point then try sawdust. Just hoping the tube made for pellets won’t over fire with sawdust.

I've been using pellets that have been ground in a cheapo coffee bean grinder...not quite the fine consistency of dust,more like crushed.Fine dust doesn't work so well.

I've done a half dozen smokes with crushed pellets in the tube with u-bolt mod and I'm getting an avg. of 4hrs of TBS from the 6" tube.

I have a big box of Bradly pucks and an MES 30 smoker, can’t really use the pucks in the smoker. I see on this post people are reducing pellets to sawdust and using sawdust in a tube smoker. '

Murray, I had the same thought about Bradley pucks. So I used Dave Omak's method of wetting them down and "disassembling" them. The final result was not really dust--a lot coarser. I then dried them in the oven. Loaded up my AMNPS, fired the "dust" up. It simply WOULD NOT BURN!!! After 2 attempts I gave up and tried putting the stuff in the chip tray in my MES 30. It burned up real fast at 275* but put out real thick smoke. Not good.
DaveOmak suggested that Bradley might have added a natural fire suppressant to the Pucks.
So I pretty much wasted a box of pucks and gave up on Bradley pucks.
This pic gives you an idea of size:
20190120_140431.jpg

Gaty

A-MAZE-N website says no to burning sawdust in a tube smoker. I’m guessing fire hazard?
I wouldn't buy dust to use in the tube . This thread is about making your own course ground mix from pellets .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky