Buckeye 1 Inspired Corned Beef Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sven Svensson

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 5, 2021
Sonoma County, California
I was immediately inspired by B Buckeye1 ‘s corned beef jerky. I bought a couple of those grocery store pre made brisket flats. I soaked them in cold filtered water for 8 hours. Per Buckeye’s suggestion I cut them 1/4 thick and I always go with the grain. I coated them with my own toasted corned beef spice mix. I even experimented with a couple smaller pieces and coated them with Gulden’s mustard. It took 8 hours at 150 degrees which is a good 2 hours longer than my regular jerky. Thanks to B Buckeye1 I have a new addiction and addition to my flight of beef jerky recipes.
The texture is different and the backside of these are really shiny. Taste is fantastic and the addition of the toasted spices is a huge plus. I left a couple not spiced but I definitely prefer the spiced.
Thank you so much B Buckeye1 for the great idea. There’s always a ton of these corned beef packets this time of year and I’ll be loading up on them after St. Patrick’s Day when they go on sale. This idea was a winner.
3FF554D4-112A-4A0D-9016-2AED29B308C6.jpeg
I trimmed off the fat cap and silver skin from the flats.
75928AB6-0595-46AD-8CCD-4D64BFE8218F.jpeg
Into an 8-hour soak. I used my egg steamer inserts to give the two flats a little separation.
FE276885-5CE5-4928-BA72-A80B73E4BE86.jpeg
Into the dehydrator they go. Note the small pieces covered in Guldens. C94526EA-1552-4319-9ACF-260931A98992.jpeg E7593780-F551-4292-BAE8-2E1512370173.jpeg
Finished.
F71924D7-2425-48E4-B92B-47404889C6F8.jpeg
Mustard coated slices.

Sven Svensson Sven Svensson glad you liked the corned beef jerky! It's definitely one of our favorites. This is really what I love about this site is sharing ideas. A lot of the stuff I cook now has been inspired here. Its a big compliment to Jeff, the mods and all the participants!

I too will be stocking up on corned beef the next few weeks.

Reactions: bauchjw and TNJAKE
This had a different texture and chew from regular beef jerky. The center was much softer than usual. I‘ve noticed the salt and cure that almost turns these store-bought corned beef packs makes the meat a bit gel-like. In fact, when I wash these off right out of the packet they are coated in a stringy gelatin substance. It definitely dried differently and it formed a sort of outer skin that has me thinking maybe that skin prevented a more thorough internal drying than regular jerky, like it blocked the escape of moisture? I wonder if indaswamp indaswamp might know anything about that since he’s got a good handle on meat science things. And I’m certain there’s a more professional description than “meat science things.” Haha!

This had a different texture and chew from regular beef jerky. The center was much softer than usual. I‘ve noticed the salt and cure that almost turns these store-bought corned beef packs makes the meat a bit gel-like. In fact, when I wash these off right out of the packet they are coated in a stringy gelatin substance. It definitely dried differently and it formed a sort of outer skin that has me thinking maybe that skin prevented a more thorough internal drying than regular jerky, like it blocked the escape of moisture? I wonder if indaswamp indaswamp might know anything about that since he’s got a good handle on meat science things. And I’m certain there’s a more professional description than “meat science things.” Haha!
Some meat processors have played around with the addition of surface cultures that can create bactocerins (antibiotics) that stop the growth of Lysteria, Salmonella, and e coli. Some proteolysis may have occurred near the surface of the meat. Or, it might have had a chemical dip applied to inhibit bad bacteria and that may have affected the texture.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Amazing looking jerky Sven and another amazing tribute to a great forum member. This place is loaded with inspirational threads. I'm seeing more and more people taking what somebody else has posted and doing it themselves. A true testament to what makes this forum so great.

Robert

Reactions: Buckeye1
Amazing looking jerky Sven and another amazing tribute to a great forum member. This place is loaded with inspirational threads. I'm seeing more and more people taking what somebody else has posted and doing it themselves. A true testament to what makes this forum so great.

Robert
Within an hour of reading B Buckeye1 's post I was at the grocery store buying corned beef. I knew it was going to be good. I brought it into work today and it's receiving rave reviews.

Could this be done in a smoker at low temp say 150 vs a dehydrator? My cheap dehydrator has just an off/on button I should shove a thermometer inside just to see what it runs at.
My next run I am going to at least start it in the smoker for a couple hours for flavor. I think it will then be pastrami jerky, with smoke on it. This takes a lot longer to dry which is why I'd start on the smoker and finish in the dehydrator. I don't want to run my Yoder for 8 hours and burn through all those pellets when I think it will pick up enough smoke in a couple hours.

Just to add to what Inda said, most of these meats are heavily fortified with phosphates to retain moisture. This is no help when trying to dry meat, counter productive if you will. The moisture doesn’t want to leave the meat because it is bound to the meat.

This looks pretty cool, thanks for sharing and it sure looks like a jerky recipe I’d try.

I usually pick up a few corned beefs around this time of the year and I’ll browse the store for post patty day sales. I’ll have to look for one of the corned eye of rounds, they’re usually a bit leaner too.

Made my annual corned beef jerky today.

Had the over salt experience like you had Sven. Had to throw away 4 pounds. Completely unedible. Never paid attention to the brand before, just found the best price. Ugggh.

Made my annual corned beef jerky today.

Had the over salt experience like you had Sven. Had to throw away 4 pounds. Completely unedible. Never paid attention to the brand before, just found the best price. Ugggh.
That sucks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky