Brisket ( that's more like it )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
This is the 5th brisket I've smoked . I use my 26 " kettle to do these . Works great for longer smokes . Been cooking on kettles along time . Just never did brisket . The first one I did awhile back came out fantastic . The second was even better . So I took a " what's so hard about brisket " mind set and did brisket no. 3 . Complete fail . I scrounged enough from it to do a pizza . The rest went in the trash . Waited a bit and had to try again . Number 4 was ok . I think some of that result was the meat itself . Most of it is chopped and vac'd in the " emergency " section of the deep freeze . So the other ones I had stocked got ground up for burgers .
Prices came down last week . Shelf was full and quality was way better . Grabbed 3 . One was 8 pounds . Perfect for a smoke .
Trimmed it up and rubbed it down with coarse salt and cracked black pepper . Wrapped and in the fridge over night . Then I set up the snake in the kettle . Added wood chunks and chips to that , fill the chimney and stuffed the paper underneath . Put the lid on . So all I have to do in the morning is light the chimney .
Couple pics . Not much to trim on the bottom . Took 1 1/2 pounds off the top
Left about a half inch of fat at the thickest part .
20200731_133324.jpg
Black pepper and kosher salt .
20200731_133452.jpg
After I get it on the kettle , I don't look . Lets to much heat out .
That 26 with the way I set up the snake likes to run at 260 with the vents almost closed .
I can easily get an increase in temp just with a minor adjustment . The one touch vents don't take much , so you have to be careful it don't run away on you .
Very small adjustments .
I put it on at 8 am . Ran around 270 . Reached 170 at 1:00 . Pulled and wrapped in pink paper .
Then back on the kettle until the snake ran out . Then it went to a 275 degree oven to finish .
Kettle ran at 270 for 8 hours .
Ready to wrap at 5 hour mark
20200801_124248.jpg 20200801_124256.jpg
Internal temp was 180 or so when it went to the oven .
Didn't take long to finish . Had plenty of smoke by this time .
Oven finish was perfect .
Out of the oven , I T was 201 . The point was like butter . The flat was right there .
Needed a little more , but was hoping resting would take care of that .
No cooler this time . Just on the counter . Layer of plastic wrap and a couple towels .
20200801_160021.jpg
On the board ,
20200801_174328.jpg
Sliced up . Salt , pepper , beef and smoke . Needs nothing else .
That's more like it .
20200801_174832.jpg 20200801_175009.jpg
Plated up . Made some beans . Dried them out in the MES . ( Forgot about them )
Corn , a boxed pasta salad and the mayo bread my son makes .
This came out really good . When you get the brisket right it really is
hard to beat .
20200801_175634.jpg
Had left overs for Sunday supper . Cold out of the fridge '
Couple slices .
20200802_174405.jpg 20200802_174421.jpg
Had some leftover corn , and some crack pasta from another meal . That's some good stuff if you never had it .
Cream cheese based done in the instant pot .
Did this as a sandwich . Just brisket on a bun . Great flavor from mesquite smoked brisket .
20200802_175421.jpg 20200802_175426.jpg
This was a perfect smoke . I love using the 26 for this . So much fun to cook on .
Thanks for looking .
Here's a link to the bread if you missed it the first time . It's good .
Stay safe , be smart and show respect to others even if you disagree .

Nice looking spread Chop. Glad you finally nailed a brisket. Once you get them figured out they're not difficult. Seems as though a lot of folks just over think them. You probably did not the first few times after everything you've read here so maybe the BBQ gods were just testing you for perseverance :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: chopsaw
tenor.gif

Very nicely done! I am overdue for a brisket on the 26".

I love the little 8-10 pound briskets and I snag them whenever I see them. Usually just two of us eating.

Reactions: chopsaw
Nice looking brisket! And meals, they all look tasty.
Ryan , thanks for the comments .
Nice looking spread Chop. Glad you finally nailed a brisket.
I just never cook brisket . Going up in St. Louis , BBQ was pork steaks . Been cooking on a Weber kettle over 30 years . First brisket cook was end of last summer . With help from a couple members It came out fantastic . Second one I did was better than the first , but it fell off from there .
This was equal to the first . I think I went into the cooler at to high a temp on number 3 . Over cooked it .
Thanks for looking and leaving a comment .
Fine looking meal there Rich.
Thanks Jim . Always good when you get it right .

Looks very nice. I finally nailed my last brisket but its been close to a year now. Next one I will have to learn again.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky