Brisket Rub Question

Discussion in 'Sauces, Rubs & Marinades' started by fat gary, Jan 20, 2012.

1. fat gary

fat gary Newbie

DFW
    I am smoking my first brisket this weekend...I have done plenty of pork and poultry.

For pork and poultry I have a pretty standard rub that has salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, dry mustard, and brown sugar in it.

For the brisket I am thinking about removing the chili powder, paprika, mustard and brown sugar and adding more pepper to the rub than I normally do. 

Is this a good start for a basic brisket rub?  Thanks in advance for the tips and suggestions.

2. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

I personally wouldn't remove anything in your rub. So I would do your regular routine with the brisket except for the camera part. Please send us some pictures(Q-View) for our pleasure. 

3. diesel

diesel Smoking Fanatic

ya.. don't remove anything.. maybe add some stuff but the ingredients you mentioned above are all great flavors for the meat.

just my 2 cents.

good luck and please .. Qview.

4. Sounds like my rub but I also add some cocoa powder too.

5. fat gary

fat gary Newbie

DFW
    Interesting...in what ratio?

6. Wouldn't remove any of the ingredients...don't forget the pics!

7. I put in 1/3 cup of cocoa powder.

8. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

I would go with what you got...I like Allspice and Coriander in Beef Rubs...I use 1/4 tsp Allspice and 1/2 tsp Coriander for each Tablespoon Salt, Black Pepper, Etc...JJ

9. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fatgary,  Beef likes Pepper , that said a very good easy rub for Brisket is Coarse salt and Crackeed Black Pepper  -  maybve some Garlic and Onion powder. Simple is better , just sayin'.

Stan   aka   oldschoolbbq

have fun and...

10. sunman76

sunman76 Master of the Pit

like said above those are great base ingredants I just add some white pepper and pinch of cyan..[​IMG]

11. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I think your rub sounds perfect, especially if that is the flavor profile you like. We use Montreal steak seasoning on beef a lot and you may want to give that a try.

12. Would you mind if I borrowed you receipe?  If not how much of each do you use?

13. sprky

sprky Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I'm with the others I wouldn't change it.