Brisket moistness

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

taterbutt

Original poster
Dec 31, 2015
Tried a brisket for the second time in my DynaGlo vertical propane smoker. Maintained temps the entire time at or around 230-245. It was an 8 lb brisket I smoked with hickory chunks and a apple juice wet mop. I did not wrap it but did cook with fat cap up. I stopped at 203 internal temp.

Not getting the juiciness that I have experienced when eating brisket at other bbq joints...

Thinking of trying butcher paper wrap or foul pan method next time.

Thoughts,

Nate

Hi Nate,

I like to smoke brisket in a pan on a lower rack, with the trimmed fat above it so it drips on the brisket to keep it moist.

I usually don't foil because I like the bark hard, but you could foil at 165-170 & it would keep it moist & juicy, but the bark will be softer.

At 203 it should melt in your mouth.

Give it another try, and next time take photo's so we all can see your work!

Al

Also, many people don't use the foil pan method. If the meat isn't as juicy as if like, is there a possibility of not leaving it on long enough?

His last brisket had NO stall period which I found interesting.

When I've heated up leftovers I have done so with foil in the oven with a little water in the bottom and that has reconstituted some nice moisture...

Just a newbie tryin to get this thing!

Tried a brisket for the second time in my DynaGlo vertical propane smoker. Maintained temps the entire time at or around 230-245. It was an 8 lb brisket I smoked with hickory chunks and a apple juice wet mop. I did not wrap it but did cook with fat cap up. I stopped at 203 internal temp.

Not getting the juiciness that I have experienced when eating brisket at other bbq joints...

Thinking of trying butcher paper wrap or foul pan method next time.

Thoughts,

Nate
Did you probe test the brisket, and did you wrap it and rest it after the smoke?  Lower grades of brisket can be more difficult to get perfection from.  The probe is a better test of done-ness than temperature.

Yes. Probe tested and was like butter… I wrapped it and foil put it in a cooler for 3 to 4 hours to rest and then sliced… I got it from my local butcher who has pretty good meat...

I haven't been wrapping my briskets while cooking for awhile now. I start probing them about 190 and usually are starting to get tender and take them off 195 or just below 200. I do wrap them and put in a cooler for two hours and they come out real good. They will come up in temp 5-10 degrees while in the cooler. I think if you cook them to over 200 then put them in a cooler to rest the temp could go as high as 220 and your risking a dry brisket but that's just my 2

Yes. Probe tested and was like butter… I wrapped it and foil put it in a cooler for 3 to 4 hours to rest and then sliced… I got it from my local butcher who has pretty good meat...
Sounds to me like you did everything right.  Hopefully someone with more brisket experience will offer their expertise.

Could be that particular cut. I've never had a juicy slice of brisket from any of the 2 BBQ joints in my town
ROTF.gif

Give this a read. the information is priceless:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...ood-sliced-brisket-defies-conventional-wisdom

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky