Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Let

Original poster
Nov 11, 2023
Sorry, new to this forum not sure where I should be posting. Truly appreciate the feedback. So….my 1St brisket I think was a failure. I will rephrase… I know it was. First, I didn’t get it off the grill till 11p. last evening..its almost a 5 lb-er, so I thought would be done in 6-8rs. WRONG! I think I did two things wrong, please feel free to navigate this newbie person in the right direction.

First, thinking it was going to be done in a shorter time I think I spritzed and wrapped (pink paper not foil)too early.… and I kept spritzing the paper throughout the process. This made it so wet (lots of juices in the paper) and it didn’t have that char/feel affect/look if that makes sense. I did have a pan of water also under the brisket. I’m not sure what more experienced peeps thoughts are on a pan of water underneath. Is there anyway of saving this meat? That was an expensive flop lol….but I like a good challenge….especially with cooking. Thx in advance and welcome all advice and insults lol Sorry…pic isn’t very good.

Attachments

• IMG_0726.jpeg
    IMG_0726.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: JLeonard
Your meat is not ruined, if it can't be saved and eaten as brisket there are other ways to repurpose it. Chili, soups, tacos... many things.
What temp were you smoking at?
If you are gonna wrap, do it between 160 and 180 degrees. If you wrap, your bark is gonna suffer. I personally don't use a water pan... never have. I never spritz either... as they say, if you're looking, you aren't cooking. Constantly opening the smoker you are losing your heat.

Welcome to the forums... and I'm sure you'll get more responses. We'll get you on the right track!

Ryan

Reactions: DonP and tallbm
So what did you not like about it?
Texture and too wet.
Your meat is not ruined, if it can't be saved and eaten as brisket there are other ways to repurpose it. Chili, soups, tacos... many things.
What temp were you smoking at?
If you are gonna wrap, do it between 160 and 180 degrees. If you wrap, your bark is gonna suffer. I personally don't use a water pan... never have. I never spritz either... as they say, if you're looking, you aren't cooking. Constantly opening the smoker you are losing your heat.

Welcome to the forums... and I'm sure you'll get more responses. We'll get you on the right track!

Ryan
Well…..I probably did the biggest no-no for cooks and smokers but I popped the brisket back in the smoker again at 225. I was determined to save this meat lol. Broken AKA Ryan TY for your info I have to tell you the brisket turned out much better then I thought it would. Ends a little dry which is fine with me and expected. Other then that it was actually moist and pretty good lol.

Texture and too wet.

Well…..I probably did the biggest no-no for cooks and smokers but I popped the brisket back in the smoker again at 225. I was determined to save this meat lol. Broken AKA Ryan TY for your info I have to tell you the brisket turned out much better then I thought it would. Ends a little dry which is fine with me and expected. Other then that it was actually moist and pretty good lol.
I got lucky! LoL

Usually if brisket turns out dry it wasn't cooked long enough. Different brisket will finish at different temps. One might finish at 202, next one might not finish till 208. You can tell when you can slide a probe or wooden skewer in and it slides in like going into a stick of butter.
Was this a full packer brisket or just the flat?

Ryan

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky