• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Rob Petersen

Original poster
May 17, 2018
Randall MN
Hi I have a boneless fresh half of pork leg that invoked out and I’m brining it for Easter. I used pops brine and it said 3-4 weeks but after re reading it, it said for whole hams, I was curious as is this is too long and if it is how long should I bribe it? I also injected it rather thoroughly.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Hi I have a boneless fresh half of pork leg that invoked out and I’m brining it for Easter. I used pops brine and it said 3-4 weeks but after re reading it, it said for whole hams, I was curious as is this is too long and if it is how long should I bribe it? I also injected it rather thoroughly.
invoked? I'm not sure what you are asking.

How thick is the cut of meat and is it a round like a cylinder, or flat?

cure will travel 1/4" a day, but since there is cure on all sides, cure is traveling 1/2" a day through the meat. So take the thickness of the meat and divide by 1/2...

An example: there are (6) 1/2 inches in a 3 inch thick cut of meat. Take that number 6 and add 2~3 days and the minimum cuing time would be 8~9 days.

The deeper the cure travels, the weaker the concentration at first. thus allow the extra time for the salt to equalize more uniformly throughout the meat.

Hot Threads