Brining Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buttah Butts

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 22, 2019
Reidsville NC
I usually always brine my chickens and turkeys wether I smoke them or roast them in oven. I’ve been reading Myron Mixons book and he talks about brining his pork ribs and butts. Does anyone else brine there ribs or butts? If so what did you use and what were the results.

Last edited:
No on ribs and butts , but I use Tony C's injection on pork loin with good results .

About the same as chopsaw...usually just inject with creole butter. But I gotta say it...what do you bribe them with? Cash only or do they take checks :emoji_laughing:

Ryan

Reactions: TNJAKE
The butts I buy from Hormel or Smithfield are already injected and brined from the supplier. You don't want to brine those. The ones I once got that were labeled "fresh" I injected with my brine and then brined overnight. The brine had water, salt, sugar, rub, and a little Prague #1 for flavor, not for curing.

I have his book and from memory he brines ribs but injects butts. I use a modified version of his pork injection on butts and it is killer. I ran his rib marinade once and it was good but a bit over the top for me (plus like $20 of ingredients LOL) . I now use the injection recipe but as a marinade on ribs.

Reactions: jcam222
I don't brine ribs or butts but I do brine the loin with a simple water, salt sugar brine just to give it some moisture.

Reactions: TNJAKE
I have his book and from memory he brines ribs but injects butts. I use a modified version of his pork injection on butts and it is killer. I ran his rib marinade once and it was good but a bit over the top for me (plus like $20 of ingredients LOL) . I now use the injection recipe but as a marinade on ribs.
His marinade is apple juice, vinegar, sugar and kosher salt. I hope it doesn’t cost $20 lol

His marinade is apple juice, vinegar, sugar and kosher salt. I hope it doesn’t cost $20 lol
I recall the marinade was ginger ale, orange juice, ranch dressing (plus others) and the rib foil sauce has butter extract. Maybe different book?

A marinade/brine I've been using lately is a 50/50 mix of water and Ocean Spray cranberry/blackberry(the 100% stuff),salt and minced garlic.Its adds a flavor and sweetness that I find awesome.

Lol yes he’s got 2 different recipes in 2 different cookbooks. The one with ginger ale is from Smokin and the other is from everyday bbq. Maybe I’ll just stick to way I’ve been doing them since I’ve been more that happy with the results and stick to brining poultry.

Reactions: zwiller
I "brine" loin & butts with only a light sprinkling of Prague #1, then back in the 'fridge for 12-24 hours. It soaks in well, even when cold. Then that's it for salt, only sweet and hot rubs/sauces after that. (Granted a lot of commercial rubs have salt.)

And I've been having good luck with this approach on frozen butts...let sit out an hour, run under tap water then NaNO2 the barely thawed surface, then back in the 'fridge (not freezer) overnight. The center is still frozen when it goes in the smoker, requiring a couple extra hours, but it cooks completely normally. I like the extra time in the smoke.

I've no magic for ribs. Just mustard for glue, on fully thawed meat, and then whatever rub I'm trying, and then straight into the cooker.

I use Pop's Brine Ultra Low Salt Clear Pickle now, did use Regular and Lo-Salt Curing brine previously.

Also did spares as "Original Bacon On A Stick" with Pop's Curing Brine also:
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/96273/pops-original-bacon-on-a-stick-wet-brine-method

I brine stuff I'm going to cure for smoking, aside from that the Thanksgiving turkey. I've got 4-5 Mixon's books as presents. I put the first one down and haven't picked up it or any others since I read he smokes his prime rib to 155º. I mean, who does that?

I brine stuff I'm going to cure for smoking, aside from that the Thanksgiving turkey. I've got 4-5 Mixon's books as presents. I put the first one down and haven't picked up it or any others since I read he smokes his prime rib to 155º. I mean, who does that?
Well apparently it works for him. I think he may know what he’s doing

Reactions: sawhorseray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky