"Clear Pickle" Ultra Lo-Salt Canadian Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pops6927

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 23, 2008
Fort Worth, Tx.
Ok, I can only have under 1500 mg of salt per day (a small teaspoon or less). So, I am experimenting again, like I did with Pop's Curing Brine, using only the salt contained in the Cure #1 ingredient! I also added ½ cup of sugar substitute (Stevia) 0 calorie. I named it "Pop's Clear Pickle Curing Brine" as you can see by the photo!

IMG_0126.JPG

It is, to a gallon of water, a heaping tablespoon (1 ounce) of Cure # 1 and a half cup of Stevia stirred together, then injected into the side of pork loin in 3 spots in each end to make sure it gets cured thoroughly! I will let it sit in the cure for at least 14 days. then smoke it until it gets to 150° internal. Cool and slice!

Last edited:
Ok, I can only have under 1500 mg of salt per day (a small teaspoon or less). So, I am experimenting again, like I did with Pop's Curing Brine, using only the salt contained in the Cure #1 ingredient! I also added ½ cup of sugar substitute (Stevia) 0 calorie. I named it "Pop's Clear Pickle Curing Brine" aws you can see by the photo!

View attachment 435122

It is, to a gallon of water, a heaping tablespoon (1 ounce) of Cure # 1 and a half cup of Stevia stirred together, then injected into the side of pork loin in 3 spots in each end to make sure it gets cured thoroughly! I will let it sit in the cure for at least 14 days. then smoke it until it gets to 150° internal. Cool and slice!
Sounds cool Pops. For the sugar sub try using either Swerve Brown Sugar sub or. Lankanto Golden. Both are sugar free and give a nice brown sugar flavor. I use them in your standard brine for all my bacons.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Got the pork loin into the smokehouse, fired it up and got it heating and smoking with the temp probes in place!

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0128.JPG

Got 'er going!

Got 'er done early! Did't want to dry it out any more than necessary, but got it over 145° internal, enough for fully cooked! Color was somewhat light, my fault; can't bend over like I used to after my brain stem stroke, making it difficult putting wood into the cast iron pan! But got enough to get some flavor into it!

IMG_0129.JPG

I'll get some sliced pics after it cools down in the back fridge!

A test slice!

IMG_0131.JPG

Lean, but juicy! And I can EAT it! NO discernable salty taste! Very mild, yet fully cured! I declare it a SUCCESS! My new GO TO!

Looks awesome pops! Cured smoked meat that you can eat on an extremely low salt diet....i call that a HUGE SUCCESS!

Couldn't take many sliced pics (greasy fingers) but I was able to get my camera for some thick grilling chops for my birthday dinner tonight! Sliced most of it into ¼ " Canadian bacon slices, then a couple packages of thick smoked chops for the grill:

IMG_0134.JPG

This shows that the pork was completely cured all the way through, evenly! I will try to take a photo of them on the grill tonight, also!

Reactions: fivetricks
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky