1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Breakfast Quiche W/ Homemade Dried Beef...WOW!! (W/ Pics)

Discussion in 'Beef' started by tx smoker, Feb 17, 2019.

1. tx smoker

tx smoker Smoking Fanatic

Disclaimer: Do not let the "Quiche" concept fool you. This is not some limp-wristed yuppie food. This is serious food for a serious appetite.

Up until 3 or 4 years ago the wife and I drove into town every Saturday and Sunday morning for breakfast at our favorite little Mexican restaurant. We then started some huge yard projects and didn't want to stop working for 2 hours to go get breakfast so I started making basic stuff to save time. As with so many of my endeavors, this has become an evolution. It started with basic breakfast tacos, then pancakes, French toast, etc...and since then, I have put together some really good stuff. We've enjoyed a couple versions of this Quiche but this one has by far been my favorite. It may have to do with my affinity for a rejuvenated love affair with dried beef from my childhood....thank you Bearcarver and Holly2015!!

Start with some dried beef, chop it up into small pieces and warm it in a skillet with a bit of butter
    001.jpg

Place the small cast iron baking dish in the center of a tortilla and cut around the bottom. This will give you the perfect size and shaped piece to cover the bottom of the baking dish. Slice the remainder of the tort into 4 pieces to line the sides. Spray the dish with non-stick cooking spray (DO NOT miss this step). Lay in the pieces of tortilla
    002.jpg

Put in the dried beef that has been warmed in the skillet
    003.jpg

Add Ro Tel tomatoes with habaneros (drained)
    004.jpg

Shredded smoked cheddar cheese
    005.jpg

Mix 3 eggs and a 4 oz. cup of cottage cheese in a bowl and slowly pour into the baking dish
    006.jpg

A liberal dose of fresh ground black pepper and some chopped green onions, then onto the grill
    007.jpg

All done and off the grill. Look at the way it has "poofed" up. Pretty impressive if I do say so myself :-)
    008.jpg

Slides right out of the baking dish and onto the plate. It took about 35 minutes to cook with the grill at 375*
    009.jpg

Money shot!! this looks incredible. Now to sit down and hope for the best
    010.jpg

Mmmmm...look at all that luscious goodness. I made two of these but only took pics of one. The wife got one also :-) Yep, this is one of my favorite all-time breakfast foods. Deep, rich, complex flavors, and very gratifying.These are the silly things I come up with when the wife heads off to church on Sunday mornings. We have also enjoyed these with sausage, crumbled fried bacon, brisket, and chuck roast. All have been very good but as previously stated, this one has been my favorite. They are quick to make, have great visual appeal, and are truly delicious. Y'all may want to consider giving these a try. You might find something new to add to your breakfast menu....we sure have :-)

No yuppie food here,
    Robert

dr k, SonnyE, xray and 17 others like this.
  2. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I'd eat it.
    Like!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    fivetricks likes this.
  3. chilerelleno likes this.
  4. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great looking deal there and a lot cheaper then going out and it was home made.

Warren

5. motocrash

motocrash Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks delicious to me.I make something similar but I put papas fritas in mine - cubed fried potato ~ 3/8".

6. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

7. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

FANTASTIC!!!!!
    Congrats on making the carousel!
    Al

8. GATOR240

GATOR240 Smoking Fanatic

Looks awesome! Like

9. That looks REALLY good, I need to try that, love a good breakfast.

10. uncle eddie

uncle eddie Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Would love to try this - it looks so good! Like!

11. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks great. I like the Tortilla crust and a deep dish quiche. Nothing wimpy about quiche. It's just a thick baked Omelette...JJ

12. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

Looks Awesome, Robert !!
    Nice Job & Great How-to!
    Like.

Bear

13. BKING!

BKING! Smoking Fanatic

Awesome! I need to do this soon

14. WI_GameMeats

WI_GameMeats Fire Starter

Amazing looking breakfast there. I make a similar dish in a non-stick oven safe pan, where it's basically a crustless quiche I just mix everything together and the egg acts as the crust.

15. crazymoon

crazymoon Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

TS, Scrumptious looking treat for breakfast,going on my list ! like

16. meatallica

meatallica Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

That's a helluva quiche!! I'd like a slice while watching Chile and Preacher Man go at it!!
    Point

chilerelleno likes this.
  17. ab canuck

ab canuck Master of the Pit OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Yep Big LIKE!! that looks fantastic, and we also enjoy quiche, thinking we will have to try that. Good job and congrats on the carousel ride.

18. ksblazer

ksblazer Smoking Fanatic

This is a must try for me now.

Thanks for sharing the pics and cooking process with us.

19. dward51

dward51 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That looks awesome super tasty! I'd eat one of those for sure. Also congrats on making the carousel.

20. tx smoker

tx smoker Smoking Fanatic

"FANTASTIC!!!!!
    Congrats on making the carousel!"

WHOA!! Thank you Al. Once again it is an honor to be among such esteemed company.

Bear: I actually thought about you when this came off the grill....thinking that this is a "Bear sized" meal. It kinda fits along the lines of some things I've seen you post and when you consider the base of the meal originated from you (via Holly2015) it's a fitting tribute.

To everybody else: Thank all of you VERY much for the kind words and all of the likes. In all my life I never would have thought a simple breakfast dish would garner so much attention and so many accolades. I still stand by my assessment that SMF is the friendliest and most supportive forum on the 'Net.

Deeply humbled in Lago,
    Robert

SonnyE and Bearcarver like this.