Breakfast Quiche W/ Homemade Dried Beef...WOW!! (W/ Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Disclaimer: Do not let the "Quiche" concept fool you. This is not some limp-wristed yuppie food. This is serious food for a serious appetite.

Up until 3 or 4 years ago the wife and I drove into town every Saturday and Sunday morning for breakfast at our favorite little Mexican restaurant. We then started some huge yard projects and didn't want to stop working for 2 hours to go get breakfast so I started making basic stuff to save time. As with so many of my endeavors, this has become an evolution. It started with basic breakfast tacos, then pancakes, French toast, etc...and since then, I have put together some really good stuff. We've enjoyed a couple versions of this Quiche but this one has by far been my favorite. It may have to do with my affinity for a rejuvenated love affair with dried beef from my childhood....thank you Bearcarver and Holly2015!!

Start with some dried beef, chop it up into small pieces and warm it in a skillet with a bit of butter
001.jpg

Place the small cast iron baking dish in the center of a tortilla and cut around the bottom. This will give you the perfect size and shaped piece to cover the bottom of the baking dish. Slice the remainder of the tort into 4 pieces to line the sides. Spray the dish with non-stick cooking spray (DO NOT miss this step). Lay in the pieces of tortilla
002.jpg

Put in the dried beef that has been warmed in the skillet
003.jpg

Add Ro Tel tomatoes with habaneros (drained)
004.jpg

Shredded smoked cheddar cheese
005.jpg

Mix 3 eggs and a 4 oz. cup of cottage cheese in a bowl and slowly pour into the baking dish
006.jpg

A liberal dose of fresh ground black pepper and some chopped green onions, then onto the grill
007.jpg

All done and off the grill. Look at the way it has "poofed" up. Pretty impressive if I do say so myself :-)
008.jpg

Slides right out of the baking dish and onto the plate. It took about 35 minutes to cook with the grill at 375*
009.jpg

Money shot!! this looks incredible. Now to sit down and hope for the best
010.jpg

Mmmmm...look at all that luscious goodness. I made two of these but only took pics of one. The wife got one also :-) Yep, this is one of my favorite all-time breakfast foods. Deep, rich, complex flavors, and very gratifying.These are the silly things I come up with when the wife heads off to church on Sunday mornings. We have also enjoyed these with sausage, crumbled fried bacon, brisket, and chuck roast. All have been very good but as previously stated, this one has been my favorite. They are quick to make, have great visual appeal, and are truly delicious. Y'all may want to consider giving these a try. You might find something new to add to your breakfast menu....we sure have :-)

No yuppie food here,
Robert

Looks great. I like the Tortilla crust and a deep dish quiche. Nothing wimpy about quiche. It's just a thick baked Omelette...JJ

Amazing looking breakfast there. I make a similar dish in a non-stick oven safe pan, where it's basically a crustless quiche I just mix everything together and the egg acts as the crust.

Yep Big LIKE!! that looks fantastic, and we also enjoy quiche, thinking we will have to try that. Good job and congrats on the carousel ride.

"FANTASTIC!!!!!
Congrats on making the carousel!"

WHOA!! Thank you Al. Once again it is an honor to be among such esteemed company.

Bear: I actually thought about you when this came off the grill....thinking that this is a "Bear sized" meal. It kinda fits along the lines of some things I've seen you post and when you consider the base of the meal originated from you (via Holly2015) it's a fitting tribute.

To everybody else: Thank all of you VERY much for the kind words and all of the likes. In all my life I never would have thought a simple breakfast dish would garner so much attention and so many accolades. I still stand by my assessment that SMF is the friendliest and most supportive forum on the 'Net.

Deeply humbled in Lago,
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky