• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Bread Bow Knife

mike243

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
hard to look at purdy stuff on such a small phone screen lol I can see much better on the laptop :emoji_wink:

civilsmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 27, 2015
Very nice (top shelf stuff right there!) Chop! That thin blade will be the ticket for sure!

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
Wow Looks great Chop. Can I make one with a chainsaw? That the only wood working piece I have. LOL

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
That's too Cool! Ok...How much with shipping to PA?😊...JJ

SmokinEdge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 18, 2020
You are a craftsman Chop, no doubt. Very nice and in such a short time from idea to item. Looks perfect. Do you have pricing?

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Used it last night on some " take and bake " bread from the store . Crusty outside , soft in the middle .
Almost can't believe how good this works . So sharp , and the thin blade is the ticket . Really like this . Goes thru like butter . No smash , and even slice .
Made another one last night . Shorter frame . More to the size of the one Rick showed me .
20210430_080758.jpg

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
That's too Cool!
It works great too . I was shocked . Thanks for the comment .
You are a craftsman Chop, no doubt.
Well I appreciate that comment . I like simple , clean lines . I shape all this kind of stuff by hand . Files , block planes and sand paper . Nothing is perfect or 2 exactly the same .
Thanks again .

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Beautiful work! I would be very interested in where you get these blades so I can make a couple for gifts.

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Beautiful work! I would be very interested in where you get these blades
amazon" style="max-width:120px">This is the one Rick sent me . They came in less than 24 hours . I saw some others that came with screws . These came with blade guards . You NEED the guards .
Thanks for the comment .

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
These things are so cool !!!
I only have one knife that I cut bread with, and even that one I have to still lean on it a little too hard, smashing the loaf.
And Excellent Workmanship !!
Like.

Bear

civilsmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 27, 2015
amazon" style="max-width:120px">This is the one Rick sent me . They came in less than 24 hours . I saw some others that came with screws . These came with blade guards . You NEED the guards .
Thanks for the comment .
Bingo thanks Chop, I was going to ask......I think one or two of these are going to find there way to the kitchen and trailer!

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Thanks Chop. They are ordered. I have some pieces of Oak in the garage that should do the trick.

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Thanks Chop. They are ordered. I have some pieces of Oak in the garage that should do the trick.
The screw size needs to be a bit smaller than the hole in the blade , and the mounting holes need to be pretty close to the ones in the blade . If not and they are to close together it will cause the blade to warp .

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
The screw size needs to be a bit smaller than the hole in the blade , and the mounting holes need to be pretty close to the ones in the blade . If not and they are to close together it will cause the blade to warp .
Ok, thanks for the tip. I'll post my results when I'm done.

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Hey Chop. I have some white and red oak pieces I can use. I have some 3/4" and 1". What was the thickness you used? It looks like 1" or perhaps 5/4"

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Steve , I started with rough stock . Still had the bark on some . Milled but un sanded . If you have S4S - 3/4's that will work . The blades I have are 7/16 wide . Mounting holes are 10 3/8 CL to CL .
I had to surface mine , and they ended up about 5/8 thick . You can use either one you have . The blade needs to be set to one edge so the frame doesn't bottom out before the cut is finished .

MJB05615

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 12, 2018
I'm late to see this, but that is great craftmanship, Rich! Excellent work and you did it in 1 day? I've stated elsewhere I have no wood working skills, so this is very impressive. Thanks for sharing.

SWFLsmkr1

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
The blade slices right thru. No squishing the bread.
IMG_4665.JPG

IMG_4666.JPG

I went to the bread knife guy today and asked about a longer one, he told me that he did make some but the longer blades wanted to bend.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.