Boudin ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Lets see, we did hocks already, lets do some Cajun boudin lightly smoked with cherry wood. Football season starts soon, gonna need some boudin!! Did smoked cajun sausage today also but will post it tomorrow after the second smoke.

Readers Digest version......

1 pound of pork liver, minced onions, minced garlic and left over ground pork. Saute'd till cooked, but still have all the juices in the pan.

IMG_0052.JPG

Rice! Thats 8 cups, been awhile since I get a regular pot of rice, but I did ok. I added a tablespoon of garlic juice, a tablespoon of onion juice a tablespoon of Tony's to the rice water when cooking.

IMG_0054.JPG

Leftover chopped green onions and parsley. Of course salt and cayenne.

IMG_0053.JPG

Mixed all together and stuffed in 36/38's.

IMG_0057.JPG

Resting while waiting for the sausage to smoke.

IMG_0062.JPG

In the smoker, note the A-MAZE-N adjustable oval, used it on the sausage. This time its cherry in the Masterbuilt Electric Cold Smoke attachment.

IMG_0072.JPG

Lightly smoked, skin dried, definitely gonna have that snap.

In the reefer till tomorrow. Cryovac all at once with the cajun sausage after second smoke.

Hands smell wonderful !!!! How could I not be married smelling like this?

Looks great. You make Boudin Rouge? Have yet to meat a Blood Sausage I didn't like...JJ

Looks great. You make Boudin Rouge? Have yet to meat a Blood Sausage I didn't like...JJ

Chef, I have made it. Here its called black boudin. I guess we gauge the color after its cooked...LOL 'Bout the only way though you can make it is if its gathered at a boucherie. I want to know the hog it comes from and slaughter houses are not the best place in the world to get blood.

Earlier this year Brother in Law didn't get the freezer door closed, I lost all my boudin and I had crayfish, gator, shrimp, amongst a lot of other good stuff. I tease him but after closing the door and re-freezing (after cleaning) two months later it died. At least it didn't need cleaning and resorting to the new freezer. An then in a couple a more months the other freezer gave it up. At least I had a clean freezer to move the second freezer's stuff into. AND last year I had got rid of number three, I was cutting down....LOL

Back to the topic, I prefer the white boudin, the black holds no aversion to me, and I eat it. I do prefer the white though. I am going to say this real fast and get it over with, I really prefer the cheap store bought over any homemade I have ever tried anywhere. That was where all the best memories of boudin started, in college, Sunday afternoons in the park, cheap convenience store boudin and a six pack of beer.

Thank you

Really nothing to it. Its just leftovers stuffed in casing and seasoned with whatever makes you happy. With few exceptions, very few, the only requirement for boudin is that it has liver mixed in.
I've got Indaswamp's recipe written out, and I am gathering all necessary ingredients. I plan to make half batch of regular and half batch of smoked, shortly after Christmas.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky