Boston Butt (Pulled Pork @ 265° Smoker Temp)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Boston Butt (Pulled Pork @ 265° Smoker Temp)

There are many ways to Smoke Pulled Pork, But I don’t like to do overnight Smokes, so since this Butt was 9.2 pounds, I figured I’d try to get it done for Supper (about 4 to 5PM).
Knowing I could easily “hold” it if it finishes to early, I got up at 4:15 AM and started my MES 40 at 4:20. It was 32° on my Front Smoking Porch!

I set it at a Temp that would give me a True 265° with my Accurate Maverick ET-732.
I also filled my AMNPS with Hickory Pellets, and as always, lit one end.

Meanwhile, while that stuff heats up, I’ll tell you about what happened before Smoking Day:
So a few days earlier, I saw the lowest price I’ve seen in my entire 9 year Smoking History, as "Weis" Market had Pork Butts for 97¢ a pound.
Butts are always at least $2 per pound, and usually $3 or even more!!
Since Mrs Bear was going there anyway, I told her to get me 3 Butts at about 8 lbs each. She brought me 3 butts at about 8, 9, and 10 lbs. (Good Girl)
I decided to Bag & freeze the smaller one for another time, Split the biggest one for Buckboard Bacon, and make some Pulled Pork from the 9.2 pounder.

Prepping the 9.2 pound Butt:

Rinse, pat dry, coat with Yellow Mustard, Apply Rub, put on Wire Cooling Rack in a Foil Pan.
Cover with Plastic Wrap.
Put in Fridge for overnight rest.

Smoking Day: (32° outside @ 4:20 AM)
4:20 AM——Preheat MES at 265°, Fill AMNPS with Hickory Pellets, and Light one end.
5:00 AM——Put Meat Pan on Rack #2 of my 6 rack MES, and AMNPS on right end of my bottom rack (pull dumper out 3” & rotate 180°).
8:00 AM——Sterilize my clean Maverick probe with alcohol wipe, and insert probe into center of Roast. IT is 106°.
8:30 AM——IT is 122°.
9:00 AM——IT is 135°.
9:30 AM——IT is 145°.
10:00 AM—-IT is 152°.
10:30 AM—-IT is 160°.
11:00 AM—-IT is 165°.
11:30 AM—-IT is 168°.——Add 8 ounces of Apple Juice, and Cover Butt & Pan with Double Foil.
12:00 PM—-IT is 171°.
1:00 PM——IT is 183°.
1:45 PM——IT is 192°.
2:30 PM——IT is 198°.
3:00 PM——IT is 200°.——Turn heat down to 150°.
4:00 PM——IT is 198°.——Remove from Smoker.

Remove Bone from Roast, Pull Butt, save pan juices in fridge.
Time to eat!!!

Note: I only got 7 hours out of my full AMNPS of Hickory pellets, due to the higher heat than I normally use, and the Wind, but that was actually perfect, just in time for adding Juice & Foiling the Butt.

Thanks for Dropping by!

Bear

Three Little Pigs! About 8, 9, and 10 pounds @ 97¢. Middle one this time:
IMG_2746.jpg

Nice 9.2 pound Pork Butt:

IMG_2748.jpg

Cross-hatch cut into meat:
IMG_2751.jpg

Covered with Yellow Mustard:
IMG_2752.jpg

Covered with Rub, and put on Wire cooling rack, in a Foil Pan:
IMG_2753.jpg

AMNPS filled with Hickory pellets & one end lit:
IMG_2757.jpg

Old Glory shows how Windy the 32° Air was @ 4:30 AM.
IMG_2758.jpg

Butt occupying Rack position #2 of my 6 rack MES 40:
IMG_2759.jpg

Butt ready for Foiling:
IMG_2760.jpg

Fresh from Smoker with nice Bark & lots of Liquid Gold in the pan:
IMG_2763.jpg

Ready to be Pulled. Gotta try Bear Jr's "Bear Claws":
IMG_2764 (1).jpg

Bone came out nice & clean:
IMG_2766.jpg

Pulled Real Easy:
IMG_2765.jpg

Lots of Bark in Bear's first Sammy. Mrs Bear's Special Sauce + Frank's used:
IMG_2767.jpg

First half of Bear's Supper:
IMG_2768.jpg

Second half of Bear's Supper:
IMG_2769.jpg

Packed for Fridge. Left container for Bear & Mrs Bear----Right container is for Bear Jr & His Wife:
IMG_2770.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job, Love that pulled pork. Glad you got a deal, they run them down here a lot for that. Wish they would do Pork Bellies that cheap. Wouldn't mind having one of those sandwiches right now..
Looks great my friend.

Gary

That looks mighty good. We are getting low on pulled pork but have 2 butts in the freezer so we'll be smoking at least one of them in a week or two. Around here butts go on sale for around $1/lb every now and then and when they do a couple always end up in our freezer.

Nice job John!
That is some mighty fine looking PP!
Please tell me that is not ketchup!
And did you use a finishing sauce?
Al

Looks really good from here bear. Nicely done on the PP. I don't care for the overnighters either.
Point for sure.
Chris

Nice job John!
That is some mighty fine looking PP!
Please tell me that is not ketchup!
And did you use a finishing sauce?
Al

Thank You Al !!
No it's not ketchup, It's Mrs Bear's Home-made sauce. (Ketchup is one of the ingredients though)

And all I use for a Finishing Sauce is the "Liquid Gold" I mentioned in the Caption above the Pic of the Butt in the pan with all the juice & Black Bark.
That juice is from the 8 ounces of Apple Juice I added when I foiled, mixing with the Meat Juices from the Butt.
When I dump it into a container & put it in the fridge, the fat comes to the top & hardens. Then I cut the Fat sheet off & underneath is Beautiful Jelly that tastes freaking Awesome!! That's my Finishing sauce---No other seasonings needed or wanted, other than Sauce & Frank's on my Roll.

And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Last edited:
You sure can't beat .97/lb!

Yup--Wish I could have gotten more of them!!

Bear

That's one heck of a deal on pork butts!!
You sure got some great bark, smoking it at 265. Looks great.
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but that sure looks like ketchup on your sammie. Ketchup???? Are you sure that's even legal??
LOL.
POINT
Gary

Thank You Gary!!
Nope--Not Ketchup---It's a Mix Mrs Bear makes---It has some Ketchup in it among other things.
I just add some "Frank's" to mine.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Nice job, Love that pulled pork. Glad you got a deal, they run them down here a lot for that. Wish they would do Pork Bellies that cheap. Wouldn't mind having one of those sandwiches right now..
Looks great my friend.

Gary

Thank You Gary!!
I wish we'd get these Great prices more than once every 10 years!!!
I love Pulled Pork, but don't do it often, because the prices are ridiculous!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

LIKE Looks great! If you liked the apple juice in your foiling try injecting it.

Sad to read you guys pay that much for butts. Under $2/lb normally here and sales for $.99/lb are common. That said, I pay top dollar for beef. We need to do SMF swap MEAT. Will trade 2 butts for a chuckie and 3 for brisket LOL.

Reactions: nicefly
That looks mighty good. We are getting low on pulled pork but have 2 butts in the freezer so we'll be smoking at least one of them in a week or two. Around here butts go on sale for around $1/lb every now and then and when they do a couple always end up in our freezer.

Thanks Braz!!
I wish we'd start getting good prices on Butts more often than once every 10 years!!
I'll be lucky to be around when the Next Butt sale comes around!

Bear

Shhh, Bear, say its smoky siracha with vinegar added. I used stealth mode for this post. No one will know.

LOL---I don't even know what she puts in, but I know it's not straight Ketchup.
I know she likes it & I like it after I add some Frank's to it.

Bear

Looks really good from here bear. Nicely done on the PP. I don't care for the overnighters either.
Point for sure.
Chris

Thank You Chris!!
Forum is slow the last few days??
I expected more comments on this one---It was Awesome!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Thank You Chris!!
Forum is slow the last few days??
I expected more comments on this one---It was Awesome!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

I've noticed that too. I reckon it has to do with archery season.

Chris

Great Lookin PP Bear. That bark looks so yummy.

I would have got some butts but I have 2 and a half pigs in the freezer.

LIKE Looks great! If you liked the apple juice in your foiling try injecting it.

Sad to read you guys pay that much for butts. Under $2/lb normally here and sales for $.99/lb are common. That said, I pay top dollar for beef. We need to do SMF swap MEAT. Will trade 2 butts for a chuckie and 3 for brisket LOL.

Thank You Zwiller!!
The only thing we regularly get at a Great price is "Pork Loin". Always under $2, and often $1.49 or less. Even sometimes under a Buck!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Last edited:
Picked up a couple 8.5# the other day for $1.25 (should have got the other 2 also) but freezer space is becoming limited. This addiction is getting the best of me, which is a good thing. Hopefully give this a shot over the weekend.
Loins here usually $1.78

I've noticed that too. I reckon it has to do with archery season.

Chris

Yeah--Speaking of which---A Buck just strolled through my front yard about 15 minutes ago, but it wasn't a Giant.
Bear Jr is a "Trophy" hunter during Archery season, and turns "Meat" hunter later during Rifle season.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky