Boneless Turkey breast . Cured and smoked .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
I do this method every now and then , but use chicken . Makes good sandwich meat . Had a whole turkey breast in the freezer , so got it thawed out . Mixed up a gallon batch of Pop's low salt brine . Cured the breast with the skin on and the bone in for 6 days . Used the Briner Jr.
Drained and rinsed a day before smoking . Then I peel the skin off and remove the bone . I put the halves back together cut side in , and thick to thin so it evens out some .
I lay the skin out and scrape any visible fat . Then wrap around the breast halves and into some # 28 netting . Back in the fridge over night .
Used the MES 30 . Mesquite and apple pellets in a 6 " tube . Couple hours dry time . Couple hours of smoke at 130 , then bumped it up to finish . Let the smoke go until it ran out . I took this to 170 since it had been cut apart and put back together . Just to make sure .
Out of a 6 day cure ,
20210226_130141.jpg
I used a sharp knife to get the skin off . Don't want to tear it .
Skin is used to hold it together and keep the outside from drying out .
It will be tossed later .
20210226_130806.jpg
Lay out the skin and scrape the fat .
20210226_131819.jpg
De-boned , and put back together on the skin .
20210226_131449.jpg 20210226_131922.jpg
Wrap the skin around and put the netting on . This can take a few tries .
Makes a nice bundle . Overnight in the fridge helps it set up and dry the surface .
20210226_133226.jpg 20210226_133240.jpg
All smoked . I take the net off right away before the meat starts to shrink .
Comes right off .
20210227_170321.jpg 20210227_170413.jpg
Sliced up . Skin removed .
Texture is pretty good . You can see the seem in the middle . Held together nice .
20210228_160936.jpg 20210228_160919.jpg
Got in the upper 50's yesterday , but just nasty and damp .
Soup and a turkey BLT sounded good . Soup is Bear creek vegetable barley mix .
20210228_182437.jpg 20210228_183345.jpg
20210228_183313.jpg
The turkey by itself is ok . I mean it's turkey . Not a lot there . On the sandwich with everything else it was fantastic .
Nice hint of smoke and all those flavors really go good together .
Thanks for lookin .

That looks fantastic Rich, Like! I used to smoke cured chickens quite often that made for great chicken salad sannys, had kind of a hammy look and taste from the Cure #1. RAY

Reactions: chopsaw
Holy Shoot !!!
Outstanding, Rich!!
I can't believe how perfect that thing rolled & bagged into!!!
Unbelievable!!
That Sammy has to be Awesome!!
Like.

Bear

Last edited:
That looks fantastic Rich,
Thanks Ray . Appreciate that .

I used to smoke cured chickens quite often that made for great chicken salad sannys, had kind of a hammy look and taste from the Cure #1
Oh yeah . I used the phosphate injection on whole chickens , then shredded . Makes a great pulled chicken sandwich . Never thought about chicken salad . That would be great .
20180128_140433.jpg cured.jpg

Holy Shoot !!!
Outstanding, Rich!!
Thanks John .

I can'y believe how perfect that thing rolled & bagged into!!!
Unbelievable!!
You've heard the monkey and a football thing ? It's a slippery deal . I got it in 3 tries .
I ran across the boneless roast you did in the roto .
Next one like this goes in the 360 . Be the perfect size .
Thanks for lookin .

Reactions: zwiller
Looks awesome! I'm for an open faced gravy sammie too! With my luck I'd pop that "football" straight to the floor with dogs thanking me for the treat! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Wow!! Quite a few steps involved but it looks really, really good. I absolutely love smoked turkey breast sandwiches...and salads. I'd be all over that in a big hurry. Nice job Chop!!

Robert

That looks delicious Chop! Smoked is the only way we eat Turkey the last few years. Especially Thanksgiving.
Great work, and excellent step by steps.

Dang Chop, That makes me very hungry for a turkey sami! I think its safe to say you have that down!

Great job chop awesome sammies in the line up for sure.
Thanks Warren . Great sandwich at a better price .

Wow!! Quite a few steps involved but it looks really, really good. I absolutely love smoked turkey breast sandwiches...and salads. I'd be all over that in a big hurry. Nice job Chop!!
Yup . Just a bit of work . I've skipped the wrapped skin part . Comes out good that way too .
Robert , thanks for the comments .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky