Bone in vs. Boneless Prime Rib

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrad

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 27, 2012
Princeton, MN
For those of you who have done both, Do you notice any flavor difference? I can get a bone in for $2 lb less. Im guessing the cost would even out, or avg. more for the bone in after you figure the bone loss, but I'm curious if the bone in has any more flavor?

I cant tell any difference as the bone doesn't leach any goodness into the rest of the meat, ymmv, It is easier to slice if the bones are gone if you want thin slices, we have a few skinny eaters so will have to debone a couple slabs . the bones are great to make broth with after they are roasted though.

The only way I can tell the difference is when I buy my Prime Rib with "Bone In", and then I cut the bone part off at home. Then I accumulate enough meaty Beef Dinos to have an Awesome Beef Dino Smoke, usually in Spring.
This way I can have my Medium Rare Prime Rib, and my Medium Well Beef Ribs, exactly the way I like them.

Prime Rib--Medium Rare:
Smoked Prime Rib (Apple Smoke)

Dino Bones removed from Prime Rib:
Smoked Beef Prime Rib Dinos (With Extra Meat)

So buy them with the bones in---Then cut the bones off, leaving a little extra meat on the bones for another time.

Bear

Reactions: fivetricks
I think the bone can lend a bit of a different flavor profile to the roast but Bear is right - trim the bone and get 2 for 1! I bought a boneless for my Christmas Prime Rib. I bet no one even misses the bones.

Well I guess I'm the one who asks the butcher not to cut the bones off & tie the roast up. I think the bones make the meat juicier & always keep them attached to the meat. Then when I cut it up I can separate the bones with as much meat on them as I want or just save that part for my self. Chefs choice! Heat the bones up the next day on the grill & they are awesome, and as said above , nobody misses the bones. I'm going to the store tomorrow to pick up a whole PR still in the cryovac. Most of the time they will give you a discount if you buy it that way because they don't have to do any trimming. I will probably wet age it & hopefully it will be ready for New Years Day!!!
Al

Bones On. Same as above. If I don't Snack on them, they go in my PHO BO or other Beef based Soup. This year, Boneless was a good price so no bones for me or my three 4 legged Boys...JJ

I can't tell any difference but I like to make a big pot of Rib bone soup out of the ribs. Hot soup on a cold winter day or night is always a win win for us.

The stories of Bones add Flavor. Are true, but the impact is more noticeable with meat with Small or Young Bones. With Fish, Huge Difference cooking Whole fish vs Fillets. Chicken, or other Poultry, on the Bone is better. Veal, Lamb and Suckling Pig too.
The second benefit is, lower Price and add some Veg and Seasoning to bones for Soups, Stocks and Sauces...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky