Bone-in Pork Shoulder - Need some ideas for something other than pulled pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tander28

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
Kansas
I've got a bone-in pork shoulder sitting in the freezer that I want to smoke since I'm relegated to home with time on my hands. I've got a good amount of frozen pulled pork, so I don't want to do more of that. What should I do? I'd love to use it multiple ways since it is a few pounds of meat. So lay it on me, what would YOU do with it? Only criteria is has to be smoked of course. :emoji_sunglasses:

Depending on how soon you want to smoke it, you could cure it like a ham then smoke it. Or like Braz Braz said make sausage, would take awhile with KA but can be done. Like a breakfast sausage or any type...just make patties. Or buck board bacon, still have the wait for curing.

Good luck
Ryan

I like to cut the money muscle end straight down right against the bone and smoke it for some super tasty sliced pork. Grind the rest for some bulk breakfast and Italian sausage. I like ACLeggs Zesty IS seasoning.

You can make some Italian sausage in bulk, thaw and make hamburger pattys, gill and treat like a burger, I don't stuff them any more. also breakfast sausage is hard to beat also.

Reactions: sawhorseray
also if you have a jerky shooter you can do skinless breakfast links

I'm on board with some of the others. Ham is where its at. When I do butts as ham a treat them the same way as I do for pulled pork. If you get it in the cure now you will be good to go for Easter ham. Pulled ham sandwiches are a nice change up from the traditional ham served on holidays. A Swiss cheese sauce goes nice to top them with.

You could try out a smoked carnitas recipe.. I did one in a crock pot a couple weeks back that was amazing, not smoked, but regular carnitas..

Maybe keep the pork in a glass bakeware that can allow for the carnitas juices to build up around it, yet allow some to get to the top part?

Why does it got to be Smoked?
Considering Pork is one of the most consumed meats on the planet. There are too many recipes to count...
Chinese
Thai
Vietnamese
Korean
Japanese
Cuban
Puerto Rican
Cajun
French
Polish
Mexican
Etc...
If you Have to have Smoked Pork...
Below is Friday's Supper and a good Red Chili recipe...JJ

Pork Chili Verde

2C Diced Onion
1C DicedTomatillo (3-4) or 1/2C Green Salsa (Add at the end of sautéing the rest.)
1/4C Fine Diced Jalapeno
1/4C Fine Diced Garlic
3T Bacon Grease

Saute above until tender and add next 10 ingredients.

4Lbs Smoked Pork Butt, coarse chopped or pulled in 1-2" chunks.
2.5lbs +/- Green Chiles, Roasted, Peeled and Chopped or Canned Green Chiles, 2 large cans.
2T Soy Sauce
1T Ground Ancho or Guajillo, or Pascilla or Dark Chili Powder
1T Grnd Cumin
1T Mexican Oregano
2T Grated Piloncillo or Brown Sugar, or To Taste
2tsp Grnd Black Pepper
1tsp Kosher Salt
1tsp Grnd Coriander Seed
2C Chicken Stock, or as needed.
1/2C Masa Harina or Fine Corn meal.

Optional: 1 1/2Lb " C " Size New or Red Potatoes, halved.

Bring Chili to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.

Skim off Grease and reserve 1/4Cup.

Combine Grease with Masa in a small pan over low heat. Stir together, 1-2 minutes to make a Roux.

Gently whisk the Masa Roux into the Chili Verde and stir in well. You may not need all the Roux.

Add Potatoes if using.

Simmer an additional hour or until desired thickness.

Serve garnished as desired. Makes about 1 Gallon.

Garnish:
Chopped Cilantro
Chopped Green Onions
Crema or Sour Cream

Smokin' Butt Chili

4lb Smoked Pork Butt
3C Chopped Onion
2T Minced Garlic
Evoo as needed
4-4oz Cans Chopped Green Chilies, Old El paso or 1lb Fresh Green Chilies, roasted, peeled and chopped
12oz Tomato Paste
1/4C Brown Sugar
1/2C Dark Chili Powder...Or...A mixed variety of Ground Chiles
2T New Mex Chili Powder or Smoked Paprika
1T Mex Oregano
1T Grnd Cumin
1tsp Grnd Allspice
1tsp Grnd Cinnamon
1tsp Cayenne or to taste, this is Mild.
1tsp Black Pepper
2T Beef Base or Bouillon
2-28oz cans Diced Tomatoes
12oz Favorite Beer
Optional...2-4 14oz cans Beans of choice, drained and rinsed.

This Chili is truly mild. For Actual Smoke add 1 Can Chipotle in Adobo, pureed and/or 3-4tsp's Cayenne or Crushed Red Pepper flakes for HOT.

Saute onions in evoo until golden add garlic and tomato paste and saute until starting to brown.

Add brn sugar and all spices, saute about 5 minutes to awaken flavors.

Add the Green Chilies,Tomatoes, Beer, Base and Pulled Pork. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until flavors combine and Chili is reduced to desired thickness.

Add Beans if using and continue to simmer until hot.

Adjust seasoning and Serve.

I would Smoke the Butt to 180*F IT and cube it then let it finish to falling apart in the Chili.

Good stuff enjoy...JJ

Those chili recipes sounds great. I have a shoulder that I am going to smoke this weekend that is just under 10 pounds. I am thinking of using half for chili and the other half for pulled. How can I get one half to 180F for chili cubes and then the other half to 205F for pulling? Should I cut into halves before smoking? If so, is there a recommended way to halve it so that I have the best parts available for each of the two respective finished products?

Those chili recipes sounds great. I have a shoulder that I am going to smoke this weekend that is just under 10 pounds. I am thinking of using half for chili and the other half for pulled. How can I get one half to 180F for chili cubes and then the other half to 205F for pulling? Should I cut into halves before smoking? If so, is there a recommended way to halve it so that I have the best parts available for each of the two respective finished products?

JMO, but at that size I'd cut it in half as best you can and leave the money muscle in tact for the pulled side (you can slice it instead of pulling).

I've got a bone-in pork shoulder sitting in the freezer that I want to smoke since I'm relegated to home with time on my hands. I've got a good amount of frozen pulled pork, so I don't want to do more of that. What should I do? I'd love to use it multiple ways since it is a few pounds of meat. So lay it on me, what would YOU do with it? Only criteria is has to be smoked of course. :emoji_sunglasses:

If your just looking for something to do with your time. Smoke it, pull it and bring it to your local food shelf. Just check first to make sure they'll accept it.

Chris

I made the Chili Verde last night, no pics, was running late and the wolves were drawing near.
I trimmed the fat from an 9 pound Butt and cut in 1 inch cubes. Browned the pork, then the Veg. I added the Spices to heat and bring out their flavor. I could not get Tomatillos so I used 1Cup Herndez Tomatillo Salsa. The Green Chili's were whole and canned. I drained them well and discarded the juice, it is salty and bitter!. I added water just to barely cover and a Tbs of Chicken Base. Because the Pork was Raw, I simmered, uncovered just over 2 hours to get the meat Fork Tender but not falling apart. The 9 pounds of Pork, 3 Lrg cans of Chilies and about 4 Cups of water made 2 Gallons. Served with Rice. Really good!...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky