Blackened Mahi Tacos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
The wife wanted a fresh dinner tonight for the big valentines dinner I so cast iron seared up some blackened mahi to go with her mango berry delight salad (holy crap this salad is unbelievably crazy good!!!)

The mahi filet was dressed with salt and blackening seasoning and seared in the CI with grape seed oil (3min each side) then sliced and put on a bed of chopped cabbage, then dressed with a pineapple salsa, chipotle aioli, and cojita!
774C5E21-EF18-4852-A7D3-85B5477CB798.jpeg

Mahi taco yumminess!
09730FCD-A15B-4CA9-B1A6-85B351DA4FD4.jpeg

The fresh pineapple and mahi have a calming affect!
4073D3A1-7E4A-4570-BB1A-6204567F4D9C.jpeg

Ok the salad is: baby spinach, baby romaine, strawberries, blueberries, Champaign mango, red onion, coconut oil roasted pecans, grilled citrus marinated chicken, and a golden balsamic vinaigrette. This is nothing but flavor!!!
6AEE5DDF-7C28-46AE-BDD3-2C6077FDB044.jpeg

the dressing: 1/4c golden balsamic, 1/2c classic olive oil, 1/2tsp dijon mustard, 3tbs honey, 1tbs diced shallot, S&P to taste, and 1/4tsp poppy seeds!

the best part of this meal is no waiting at a crazy busy restaurant!!

That’s a beautiful dinner!! Love fish tacos of all kinds. I’m sure that salad is very refreshing too.

Wow! What a great Valentines Day dinner! That looks so good!
thanks Yankee! My wife and I would much rather cook a meal together than go out any time! I’m a lucky man for sure!

That’s a beautiful dinner!! Love fish tacos of all kinds. I’m sure that salad is very refreshing too.
fish tacos are a slice of heaven in my book! I’m not a fancy salad person for say but this is “the real deal”

Absolutely Beautiful Will you come and fix me one !!!

Gary

Very nice I have never had a fish taco. Last time someone was making them it the smell gagged me. I tried to explain to them fresh fish does not stink.
Richie
I would eat some of them yours look great.

That not only looks delicious, seems to me it's pretty darned healthy too! I really like the make-up of your salad dressing, Like. RAY

Thanks for sharing. On my list.
Thanks Brian, it’s easy and tasty!
Very nice I have never had a fish taco. Last time someone was making them it the smell gagged me. I tried to explain to them fresh fish does not stink.
Richie
I would eat some of them yours look great.
Richie, I would share one of these with you for sure. And trust me the smell was pure yumminess! A proper fish taco is a bucket list item!!!

Whoa!! It doesn’t get much better than that!

Looks awesome, be my Valentine?
thanks xray! I agree it’s a pretty fine meal

.........sorry too late I’m already taken.....lol

That not only looks delicious, seems to me it's pretty darned healthy too! I really like the make-up of your salad dressing, Like. RAY
Thanks RAY! Yup healthy doesn’t have to be bland! It’s all about balance and enhanced flavor. My wife makes all our salad dressings from scratch and this one is about my all time fav! She looks like a chemist in the kitchen measuring out stuff and putting them in her little blender for them. Maybe I should call her the flavor chemist!

Your wife should be happy with that meal!
It looks better than anything your going to get at a restaurant!
Al

Your wife should be happy with that meal!
It looks better than anything your going to get at a restaurant!
Al

Thanks Al! There is a reason my wife and I very rarely go to a sit down restaurant......for one we could eat for a whole week on the price and second it just isn’t as good either.....

I thought I would share the “plain” blackened mahi pics as well.

just my opinion but this is how a blackening seasoning sear should be. There should be clear uniform seasoning caramelization with just a hint of black.
C4837B93-78B9-43DB-9283-4C35432E9E31.jpeg

The surface should also glisten with moisture as well.....
1BB41B05-2EEE-4FDA-93A4-4C623998C575.jpeg

The inside should be flaky but glisten as well.
2A6C70BF-D39C-4A94-A4D6-74F8900C0391.jpeg

Reactions: BuckeyeSteve
That is one beautiful piece of fish. Mahi is my favorite fish for taco's. We made grilled mahi taco's with one I caught in NC. But yours looks better.

That is one beautiful piece of fish. Mahi is my favorite fish for taco's. We made grilled mahi taco's with one I caught in NC. But yours looks better.
thanks buckeye! I would love to have fresh caught mahi to work with!!! I would actually lean to CI blackening then put it over buttered rice and some grilled fresh pineapple slices!!! But the second plate would be tacos!

Thing of beauty!

thanks winter! It’s kinda hard to believe that 6 min in a CI could create such flavor but it’s a magical thing!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky