Binder Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimalbert

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
Lehighton, PA
Question for all of you Binder guys. I rarely use it but ordered some spice mixes from Con Yeager for a friend. They are calling for Binder and TriPolyPhosphate in each mix. I ordered their "Circle S" binder which appears to be a mix of NFPDM, Whey, etc... and is used at a rate of 16oz per 25lb of meat, the TriPolyPhosphate is at a rate of 1 oz per 25lb. At any rate they botched my order and I don't think I will have enough to go around. Can I find this TriPolyPhosphate anywhere locally or use a substitute? And Can I sub NFPDM for this binder mix at the same ratio? I believe I previously read that you should use 3% of your meat weight for the NFPDM. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim

NFDM is used at a rate of 1-3% of the meat weight.
Phosphates are 0.3% up to a maximum allowed of 0.5%

If you have the milk powder I'd go with that...I use the NFDM I get off the grocery store shelf most of the time.

Last edited:
I use the NFDM... but I cut back to half a cup for 5lbs... but I also put it through my coffee/spice grinder so that it's not so grainy (so to speak)

Check your local butcher shops that make they’re own sausage or a butcher supply house for TPP. I’ve used TPP and NFDM and I prefer the TPP but both will work just fine.

Few ways to do this.

As a binder nfpdm is used at 6.25oz (for 25lbs of meat)
As a flavor enhancer is used at 2.00oz (for 25lbs of meat)

As a binder clear Karo syrup 8.0oz

Ames Phos for 25lbs of meat used at 1.25oz (dont exceed 2% TSP of your meat weight)
Food GradeTrisodium Phosphate (TSP) Is hard to find in stores. Dont use TSP you get from Lowes.

And of cours binders are not always needed. You added fat to your meat? Perfect binder

Also I think Soy Protein Isolate (not to be confused with Concentrate) is added at about 2% of weight.
So 10 pounds of Sausage would have 3.2 oz of Soy Protein Isolate added.

If I am misstating this someone please correct me.
I searched for the info and the closest source I could find to help reiterate 2% as this article
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.655.3294&rep=rep1&type=pdf

I'll keep on looking for a source that clearly states the 2% or whatever the correct number is for Soy Protein Isolate :)

Also I think Soy Protein Isolate (not to be confused with Concentrate) is added at about 2% of weight.

You're correct Tallbm SPI is used at a rate of 1-3% , the same as the concentrate, but the SPI has 20% more protein, so use a little less.

You're correct Tallbm SPI is used at a rate of 1-3% , the same as the concentrate, but the SPI has 20% more protein, so use a little less.

Thanks for the info!
When I do my ground Venison Pastrami Loaves again I will add 2% SPI. I think this will cure the one issue I have with the slices wanting to break up some after a freeze and thaw.

ALSO, mixing the meat adequately to get the proteins into a "sticky" form will help keeping the meat together...

Sticky ground sausage.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky