Curing question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

robbho

Original poster
Dec 15, 2023
I'm planning on trying my first round at venison summer sausage making. That being said most of the seasoning mixes I'm finding through basic Google search come with cure mixed in... All of the videos I have found say that you should use the pink cure which I have already ordered.
Do I need to find a seasoning mix that doesn't have cure?
Am I supposed to use a seasoning mix with cure as well as the pink cure?
If I'm supposed to find a seasoning mix without cure, I would love some links to some of your favorite seasoning mixes

99.99% of the pre mixes for sausage come with cure that in its own bag. You need to add the cure to the mix. If you have cure #1 its colored pink as to not be mistaken with regular salt or the pink table salt.....Note: Pink colored cure is not the same as pink table salt (pink Himalayan) Rarely do I see mixes with Cure added already to the mix.

You can get good pre mixes from Owens bbq, ps seasoning and Waltons.

Reactions: chopsaw
99.99% of the pre mixes for sausage come with cure that in its own bag. You need to add the cure to the mix. If you have cure #1 its colored pink as to not be mistaken with regular salt or the pink table salt.....Note: Pink colored cure is not the same as pink table salt (pink Himalayan) Rarely do I see mixes with Cure added already to the mix.

You can get good pre mixes from Owens bbq, ps seasoning and Waltons.
Great! That makes total sense! Thank you for helping me clear that up

I'll second the Owens BBQ for mixes .
You're covered in post 2 , but I want to add this . If you get a pre mix use that and follow the directions that come with it . Don't cross up cures that didn't come with it , because the directions may not be the same .

Reactions: BGKYSmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky