1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Billbo's world famous dry rub & BBQ sauce recipe's

Discussion in 'Sauces, Rubs & Marinades' started by billbo, Jun 4, 2009.

1. billbo

billbo Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I have been meaning to share my recipes with all of you for a while but just never sat down and did it. Well, here I am. I picked up both of these recipes many years ago and have tweeked them to my liking. Added stuff and took stuff out until I liked it.

The rub is a very basic, but very good dry red rub. It goes well on everything, chicken, ribs, butts etc. Here it is.

1/2 cup paprika
    1/2 cup kosher salt
    1/2 cup light brown sugar
    1/2 cup granulated garlic
    6 tablespoons granulated onion
    1/4 cup chili powder
    1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Just mix all together and store in glass or plastic. Rub generously!

The sauce I am very proud of. I have had many people tell me I should be bottling and selling it. If any of you make any money off it I want a cut[​IMG] Give this a try and enjoy!

1/4 cup olive oil
    1 large onion minced
    1 green pepper minced
    1 or more jalapeno pepper minced
    pinch kosher salt and black pepper
    5 tablespoons minced fresh garlic

Heat the oil in a LARGE pan and throw in the onoin & green pepper along with the salt & pepper. Saute until the onion gets translucent and soft. Once you hit this stage throw in the garlic. Cook with the garlic in for one minute then start adding the following while keeping the heat going. This is the fun and easy part!

2 fifteen oz cans tomato sauce
    2 cups ketchup
    3/4 cup worcestershire sauce
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1 1/2 cups molasses
    1/4 cup cayenne pepper sauce
    1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
    1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon allspice
    1 tablespoon liquid smoke

After it's all stirred together keep your temp on really LOW as not to burn the sauce. SLOWLY bring it up to take it just under a simmer. If you try to get too hot, too fast, you will burn the sauce. Trust me! Let it sit on a low burner for about 4 hours stirring every 15-20 minutes or so to really bring the ingredients together and allow the sauce to thicken up. At the end add the liquid smoke and stir in slowly.

What you have now is one good tasting sauce. Give it a try and let me know what you think!

2. the dude abides

the dude abides Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That sauce sounds outta this world. I'll let you know how it goes if I get the chance to replicate your chicken this weekend.

SlickRockStones likes this.
  3. fire it up

fire it up Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Sounds like a really good rub and sauce Billbo.
    Doing a butt for my Sister and some of her friends this weekend, gonna give the rub a try with it.
    Normally I don't add sauce to the pp except a finishing sauce but I might add that BBQ on the side and do some ribs or chicken basted with it.
    Thanks for the recipe.

4. bassman

bassman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Thanks for the sauce recipe. Where do you get the cayenne pepper sauce? I definitely want to make this![​IMG]

5. billbo

Check the hot sauce section of your local supermarket and read the labels. One of them will bound to be cayenne pepper. Let me know how you like the sauce! Frank'es red hot is cayenne pepper sauce.

6. mballi3011

mballi3011 Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Sounds like a good rub i'll give it a try and let you know.

7. calebd

calebd Newbie

Making the sauce as we speak. Will let everyone know how it turns out!

8. bassman

bassman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I have a bottle of Frank's. I just didn't realize it was cayenne. Thanks.

9. Great recipes!!! Thanks. Will definately give them a try.

10. jjrokkett

jjrokkett Meat Mopper

Saved this for reference - Thanks for the recipes!

11. calebd

calebd Newbie

Made it last night and must I say "Wow". Great sauce! What is the shelf life of this sauce Billbo?

12. werdwolf

werdwolf Master of the Pit OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Copied and put on my list. Thanks for sharing.

13. sumosmoke

sumosmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Always thankful for some new recipes to try! Thanks for posting these. [​IMG]

14. mulepackin

mulepackin Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great sounding recipes. They will be going into my file as soon as I finish this!

15. countrysmoked

countrysmoked Smoke Blower

Thanks for the recipes, I will give them a try.

16. desertlites

desertlites Master of the Pit OTBS Member

perfect ingreadents in your rub and sauce-will tweek a little here-thanks so much-what great people in here.

17. billbo

I can it hot into sterlized mason jars. It keeps a good long time that way. Never had any go bad but then again I use a lot!

pharaoh likes this.
  18. ribster

ribster Newbie

sounds great i will give this one a try

19. buckeye024

buckeye024 Smoke Blower

Someone should "sticky" this thread and sauce recipe...its very good.

20. I have not tried the rub yet but I made you're sauce last week and it was the cats hind end!!! This is some good stuff.I'm going to make another batch this week.Thanks for the reciepe!!