best beer for BBQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well, if I'm being " good " it's a Bud Light. But if it's what I want ? It's Budweiser.

And seeing as how it's 4th of July weekend coming up, I'm having a bunch of people over, and I'll be spending essentially all weekend at the pit, I decided to go ahead and be bad, and picked-up two 36 packs of Bud today........guess I'm just a BAD man ! 

We have a neat little place close by called "The Brew Pub" and they make some awesome beers, their "Blonde" and "Honey Wheat" are awesome. Otherwise I like a Blue Moon with a slice of orange floating around. I love any good pale ale. Not much on the dark stuff, tastes too bitter. If I'm dieting (LOLOLOL!) and HAVE to have a cold beer after mowing the lawn then I'll have a Michelob Ultra. I usually just say screw the diet and have something buzz worthy, I'll diet another day.

If I'm gonna knock back several, I go to Trader Joe's and get a few sixers of "Simpler Times PILSNER"

If I'm only gonna drink a few, its Schlafly Pale Ale.  A good local Brew.

While any beer will do, if you want to compliment bbq, you need to do the right beer.

I like to pair my ribs and shoulder with a darker beer.  Either porter or stout.  Three I have found that are excellent paired with pork:

Breckenridge Vanilla Porter

Deschuttes Black Butte Porer

Left Hand Brewing Co. Milk Stout

For brisket I like Ambers and Bocks

Shiner Bock

Rogue Brewery Dead Guy Ale

Alaskan Amber

For chicken I like either a wheat or ale

Rock Slide Brewery Widowmaker Wheat (Can only be purchased at the brewery in Grand Junction, CO)

Crested Butte Paradise Crisp Golden Ale

O'Dells Brewery Easy Streat Wheat

Of course to pare the bbq with the right beer takes some planning, and usually I don't think far enough ahead to make sure i have the right beverage on hand.  Usually I make do with whatever beer I may be enjoying at that time. 

Last edited:
If I cant get to Rock Bottom to get a growler of Heartland Red I would prefer either Killians Red or Blue Moon/Pale Moon.  However as long as it's cold and not the Nat light that I used to drink in college, I'm happy with just about anything especially if a neighbor happens to stop by with a few will I Q. 

Boulevard is a good beer but I can never get it here in Az. Gotta go home to see my folks in KC to get that. Down here I like to drink Amber Bock or Negro Model if I'm drinking a darker beer. Normally I'll drink a Pabst Blue Ribbon, Blue Moon, or a Pyramid Wheat Beer...

0dd37c80_pbr1.jpg

For the summertime I like a good IPA..Dogfish Head is a pretty darn good one. Winter time, a good Stout. However, I usually find myself drinking Miller Highlife of late because it is s a good beer and cheap.

Abita purple haze or in the late spring abita strawberry beer.

But the best overall beer for anytime is the one thats free and cold!

oh, I did have a Stone smoker porter over the weekend and was probably one of the top 5 beers I've ever had, great stuff.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky