Been in a WiFi BLACK HOLE...Pics added...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2011
Hello all. Last week i moved to a very rural area of NW PA and have been without Phone, Cable or WiFi for the past 8 days. Apologies to the guy's that sent PMs, but I am back in the fold...JJ

Congrats on the move to Pa!
After building a winter smoking shelter,next snowblower or plow truck.
Thanks. Been in the City the last 15 years and sold or gave away lawn tractor, snow blower  tools, etc. Buying a cheap rebuilt riding mower this week, grass is high, and will talk to the man about a snow blower to get by this winter...JJ

Well congrats, hope the new homestead is everything you wanted. Sure can be daunting though. We settled on our little chunk of Mississippi about a month and a half ago and we're still overwhelmed. I feel bad for you northern boys come winter though. Glad to see ya back.

Lance

Well congrats, hope the new homestead is everything you wanted. Sure can be daunting though. We settled on our little chunk of Mississippi about a month and a half ago and we're still overwhelmed. I feel bad for you northern boys come winter though. Glad to see ya back.

Lance
Thanks...Going to be living in Box City for awhile but the Mrs' got most of the Kitchen set up and that takes care of my toys...JJ

It's hard to believe that there are still areas where there is no cell or wi fi.

I was in that same situation a few years ago. I was there for a while & it really gets you thinking,

on how dependent we are on the technology of today.

Anyhow, glad your back & congrats on the new digs.

Al

Congrats on the move JJ. It takes a bit of adjustment mentally, but you're going to love it. Miss Linda & I moved onto our 10 acres of bushland 8 years ago and could never move back into an urban area again.

We have satelite internet & tv.

Post some pics of the new digs when you get a chance.

Gary

Great news on your move. Best wishes on your new chapter. Where abouts in NWPA? I've got family and ties in that area. Definatley share some pix of the new place.

RG

As the others mentioned above, there's nothing like living in the sticks...  I don't think I could ever go back to living with neighbors.  You learn to compromise on the internet options, I've got a Verizon MiFi setup that works pretty well.  The speed is fine for what I need it to do.  Cell phone is decent as long as I don't move around too much while I'm on the phone.  We had a landline years ago, but I cut that off as soon as we got decent cell service. 

Glad to see you back.

I miss the days when I could go fishing or hunting and not have to worry about the phone ringing or a text coming through.

Congrats for sure JJ!

The older I get the more cramped I get, even in my small town (escaped the city 20 years ago).

Now I want a rifle range from my back porch.  Dreaming!

Good luck and good smoking.

Congrats for sure JJ!

The older I get the more cramped I get, even in my small town (escaped the city 20 years ago).

Now I want a rifle range from my back porch.  Dreaming!

Yep.  If I want to get ready for bear season, I just put my targets at the side edge of my lawn (got a berm there from clearing for the house) and haul out my slug gun.

This spring I had magpies building a nest in the spruce tree out back.  HATE magpies.  So I just filled my coffee cup and sat on the back step by the door and waited for them to bring more building material.  No more magpies.

Gary

Reactions: big z 765
Coffee cup, huh, Gary?

I was picturing you in your underwear.  Sitting in the rocking chair with a jug of moonshine on one side and a rifle in your lap?

That would be my dream.  Waiting for the next coyote or maybe some venison. Targets just to stay sharp.

Shot a few magpies in my youth.  Farmers hated those things!  Cattle didn't like them much either.

Coffee cup, huh, Gary?

I was picturing you in your underwear.  Sitting in the rocking chair with a jug of moonshine on one side and a rifle in your lap?

That would be my dream.  Waiting for the next coyote or maybe some venison. Targets just to stay sharp.

Shot a few magpies in my youth.  Farmers hated those things!  Cattle didn't like them much either.

Ha!! Couple of years ago it would have moonshine. Now its just coffee--sigh.

Miss Linda was on the phone with her boss at the time and when that 12 gauge went off it scared the hell out of him. LMAO.

Gary

Thanks for the well wishes! Been quite a change but loving it. We are in Emporium, Cameron County, PA. Serious small town living. Got 8 Churches, 4 Bars, 4 Gun Shops, 1 Grocery Store and No Fast Food joints. Pretty much the whole town is surrounded by mountains, state forests and Game Lands. One morning I had an Elk in the yard eating from the Apple tree, sorry no camera, and Deer are frequent visitors. Oh yeah, Dumass City Boy put the garbage bags out by the garage...The Raccoons left a note thanking us for the Smoked Chicken carcass and a huge mess. Never going to make that mistake again.
biggrin.gif
  Here are some pics from the realtor. We are going to be swamped with Boxes for awhile...JJ

ISp5dn3e0il8az0000000000.jpg

IStwgz52l409921000000000.jpg

Where the Smoker and Toys will reside...

IS5yxaj47xzraz0000000000.jpg

Targets for shooting at 25 yards...

IS1jfzcuompoe11000000000.jpg

The Shooting Bench...

ISp5d7jrosghe21000000000.jpg

The Bar...

IS95mhrib9upg21000000000.jpg

The Kids space...

IStg4vh18wjse21000000000.jpg

My PLAY AREA...

IS5ydbyw86uy331000000000.jpg

Looks like a nice quiet place JJ!

How far are you from town?

How close is your closest neighbor?

Looks like heaven to me!

Except for the snow & cold weather!

Congrats & I hope this is the place you spend the rest of your life!

Al

Last edited:
4 miles from the edge of town, Main St. is 1 mile long. Population about 2000. Nearest neighbor is about 150 yards up the dirt lane we share. Nearest big town with Walmart, Tractor Supply and McDonald's is 20 miles South. Yeah I will need a snowblower in 0° winter but the average High Temp during the summer is 85° with 5-7 days in the low 90's. After 28 years and 9 different residents with mortgages or rent...I own this one free and clear and there is no way in hell I will ever move again. Even if I hit the lottery I might built bigger but on this property. Don't have all the conveniences of the city but this is by far the nicest town I have ever lived in and I never met friendlier people. Everybody recognizes we are new in town and are very welcoming...JJ

Congrats!!

All looks Great, Jimmy!!

My Favorite Kitchen---Natural Oak!  90% of all the Kitchen I made were Natural Oak, including my own.

Where's that MES going?

Nothing like living in the sticks!

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky