Beef Shoulder Clod - French Dip Sandwiches (Pic Heavy!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks like you find Flavor Town! I've been seeing these hunks of meat at my local Cash N Carry. My smoker isn't big enough to hold one, but as soon as I upgrade I'm diving in.

I don't guess you're sharing that rub mixture, are you?

Yes. Definitely give one a shot. Lots of fun and a good departure from the "standard" cuts that I always end up cooking.

The rub mixture is something I'm still tweaking for a potential commercial release, so I don't even quite have the ratios in the first place, but it is an SPOG based rub, with some chili powder, parsley, and a bit of sugar mixed in. I'll get more details as soon as I'm settled on it.

Sure does! I think I've seen this at Walmart, never really knew what to use it for..now I do!

Get on it and post the pics when you do!

That sandwich look really, really good. Never come close to doing a shoulder clod. First time I ever saw it was on an episode of BBQ Pitmasters and the cooks that day were initially confused about what to do with it. Looks like you hit it out of the park!

Thanks. I was a little apprehensive about the cook at first, but it started coming together after a long while on the pit and ended up turning out fantastic. If you need a lot of beef and come across clod in the store, definitely give it a whirl. I'm a *huge* brisket guy, but will be adding this to the rotation as well.

Took my first swing at beef shoulder clod this weekend with French Dip Sandwiches in mind. I WILL be doing more of this cut. Here is a rundown of the cook - pics included.

Beef shoulder clod - just shy of 17 lbs. Trimmed off less than a pound:

Z2kVo29.jpg

Rubbed with what might end up being the next Pitfaced BBQ rub (pepper forward savory rub):

pnunxIO.jpg

About 10 or so hours in. First hour was as the pit was coming up to temperature. Most of the other 9 was at around 225*.

9tIFJgc.jpg

About 13 hours in (started cooking at 250*):

NlO7nsL.jpg

Over 15 hours in, I decided to wrap to capture some of the juices. Heat went up a bit as well.

uIPxiad.jpg

On the cutting board. Tons of bark due to all the nooks and crannies. The grain runs tons of different ways, so rather than picking a side and starting to slice like you would a brisket, I cut a hunk off, looked at the grain, then started shaving thin slices for sandwiches from there. You can see the bottom side is falling apart. No slices to be had down there, but that meat was super tender and very moist. I vacuum sealed plenty of chopped for the week. The slices were a tad drier, but not a disappointment by any stretch.

9uD1ka1.jpg

The menu item for the evening was French Dip Sandwiches. 4 parts mayo + 2 parts horseradish for the spread. Spread on warm french bread, then added some slices of beef and top with baby swiss cheese. The sandwich went back in the oven at 200* for a minute or two to help melt the cheese slightly. Served with a bowl of au jus. The au jus was all of the drippings, supplemented by beef broth and Worcestershire - warmed on the stove. I put some chopped beef in the au jus as well to really bolden up the flavor.

APKpIfZ.jpg

That sammich....

GoddsSd.jpg

Dip in the au jus and GO. TO. TOWN.

qyfBLpi.jpg

I wasn't quite full, so I went back and made a small open faced version of the same:

TfGoANq.jpg

Yowza. It is really good meat. It is kind of like brisket, but kind of like chuck roast (frankly the cut is a closer relative to a chuck roast than anything). The grain is wonky, but if you cook it just to have a lot of really good beef and are less concerned with X number of slices and X amount of chopped, this is the cut. It was the longest cook I've done in probably 4 years. 18 hours in the pit + 3 hours rest. I would be interested in tinkering with a slightly hotter cook and trying the Texas crutch, but I don't think there is any real hot 'n fast with this. Take your time, enjoy the ride.

Congrats on the ride!!

Beef looks outstanding.

I’ll get you feedback on the rub asap!!

Oh Yeah!!
French Dip---One of my Favorite Sammies!!
I could use one right now!
Nice Job.
Like.

Bear

I can't see any of the pics? OY!

My pics are hosted by imgur. Is that site blocked by the network you are on? I can't see them at work due to imgur being blocked.

Nothing beats a great French dip! Yours looks amazing!

It is fine eating! Had a more traditional sandwich last night - beef, swiss, and spicy mustard on regular white bread. Still mighty good, but I missed that au jus!

I've been wanting to try smoking up one of these for some time now. I think the first time I'd ever heard about Clod was when I was watching a food show and they mentioned Schmitty's in Lockhart TX.

I'd pay to try that sandwich you posted up there.

Look forward to hearing more about your rub as well when you get it all dialed in. Sounds like it goes well with beef.

Reactions: bvbull200
Wonderful share.

Man I want to do a clod so bad. Cannot find them in California Bay Area. When I do though, I'm going to do it exactly as I do my chuckies....SV 1st for 48 hrs then smoke to IT of 203-205 or so. Works so well on a thick chuck roast I bet it would be a great technique for pulled clod.

Cheers!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky