1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Featured Beef Shoulder Clod - French Dip Sandwiches (Pic Heavy!)

Discussion in 'Beef' started by bvbull200, Mar 11, 2019.

1. bvbull200

bvbull200 Smoke Blower SMF Premier Member

Took my first swing at beef shoulder clod this weekend with French Dip Sandwiches in mind. I WILL be doing more of this cut. Here is a rundown of the cook - pics included.

Beef shoulder clod - just shy of 17 lbs. Trimmed off less than a pound:

[​IMG]

Rubbed with what might end up being the next Pitfaced BBQ rub (pepper forward savory rub):

[​IMG]

About 10 or so hours in. First hour was as the pit was coming up to temperature. Most of the other 9 was at around 225*.

[​IMG]

About 13 hours in (started cooking at 250*):

[​IMG]

Over 15 hours in, I decided to wrap to capture some of the juices. Heat went up a bit as well.

[​IMG]

On the cutting board. Tons of bark due to all the nooks and crannies. The grain runs tons of different ways, so rather than picking a side and starting to slice like you would a brisket, I cut a hunk off, looked at the grain, then started shaving thin slices for sandwiches from there. You can see the bottom side is falling apart. No slices to be had down there, but that meat was super tender and very moist. I vacuum sealed plenty of chopped for the week. The slices were a tad drier, but not a disappointment by any stretch.

[​IMG]

The menu item for the evening was French Dip Sandwiches. 4 parts mayo + 2 parts horseradish for the spread. Spread on warm french bread, then added some slices of beef and top with baby swiss cheese. The sandwich went back in the oven at 200* for a minute or two to help melt the cheese slightly. Served with a bowl of au jus. The au jus was all of the drippings, supplemented by beef broth and Worcestershire - warmed on the stove. I put some chopped beef in the au jus as well to really bolden up the flavor.

[​IMG]

That sammich....

[​IMG]

Dip in the au jus and GO. TO. TOWN.

[​IMG]

I wasn't quite full, so I went back and made a small open faced version of the same:

[​IMG]

Yowza. It is really good meat. It is kind of like brisket, but kind of like chuck roast (frankly the cut is a closer relative to a chuck roast than anything). The grain is wonky, but if you cook it just to have a lot of really good beef and are less concerned with X number of slices and X amount of chopped, this is the cut. It was the longest cook I've done in probably 4 years. 18 hours in the pit + 3 hours rest. I would be interested in tinkering with a slightly hotter cook and trying the Texas crutch, but I don't think there is any real hot 'n fast with this. Take your time, enjoy the ride.

2. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Man than looks good. Congratulation.

Point for sure
    Chris

3. weev

weev Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Im not even sure what to say I just keep drooling that hunk o beef looks magnificent great job

bigdaddy4760 likes this.
  4. jaxgatorz

jaxgatorz Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Beautiful !!

5. gary s

gary s SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster OTBS Member

Looks Great Like me a good French Dip

Gary

6. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That looks fantastic!
    I love those sandwiches!
    Congrats on making the carousel!
    Al

bvbull200 likes this.
  7. bvbull200

Thanks all, for the feedback! It was a delicious meal that I will be adding to the regular rotation and working on improving.

And a BIG thanks for the trip around the carousel! First time for me. Very humbled that you all liked the result. :)

wbf610 and indaswamp like this.
  8. TomKnollRFV

TomKnollRFV Master of the Pit Group Lead

Makes me hungry just looking Bvbull!!

9. [​IMG]

Well done! you have my address... just sayin'!

bigdaddy4760, katemail13 and wbf610 like this.
  10. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I'm on the train for the ride....your clod looks awesome! I have one I'm prepping to cook this week. Thanks for posting and congrats on the carousel ride, you deserve it. What INT did you cook it to???

11. foamheart

foamheart Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

It looks delicious but I could not drink at your house. I would waste all your alcohol trying to set the glass down! LOL. I love the large au jus bowl! I knew ya had to be from Texas!

Great looking sandwich, the flavors are bot confused in a salad, EXCELLENT job, great presentation.

I give it a 9.575 because it was a little hard to drink to.

12. bvbull200

I think you have mine, too, if you just want to drive up instead. :emoji_wink:

Fortunately, such a large hunk of meat means I have plenty of leftovers to satisfy the hunger for the rest of the week. :emoji_laughing:

Much appreciated! I saw your thread and will chime in soon. Sounds like you have a solid plan with separating the pieces.

IT was around 200* or so for most areas of the meat, but, like brisket, I really went for probe tender. The shape and thicker/thinner portions means it all cooks slightly differently. My suggestion on a whole one is to be open to the fact that some sections will be great for slicing and some sections great for pulled/chopped, but you ultimately take what it gives you.

Thanks a bunch!

:emoji_laughing: Those rocker glasses are a trip. Mess people up the first time they try to use them. I tell everyone, when the glass looks to be standing upright, you've had enough to drink.

Wife was rummaging through the pantry looking for the ramekins for the au jus. I told her not to worry - these bad boys were getting a bowl for dipping!

Misplaced Nebraskan likes this.
  13. 73saint

73saint Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Beautiful!! Lovely smoke ring and the sammies look to die for!

14. Whoa.....now that is art in its own simplicity.....drooling .. .

15. I like to smoke a whole sirloin and then slice thin for sammies...have never seen that cut in the stores here...

Is that Booker's you are drinking...box looks familiar...one of my fav bourbons...

16. TomKnollRFV

Just wondering BV, how beefy is the flavour on this sort of cut? Does it come through with the other condiments yet?

17. bvbull200

It's pretty beefy. Particularly the middle/main section of the cut. Close to what you'd expect from a chuck roast. I do plan to inject the next one, however. No special seasonings or flavorings in the injection, just something beef based with a little saltiness to it to further enhance the beef flavor. It is a very thick cut, so rub/smoke can only really get to so much of it.

I have had some slices with spicy deli style mustard in addition to the mayo/horseradish spread mentioned in the OP. In both cases, you definitely know you're eating beef, despite both of those spreads being very boldly flavored.

I hope that helps answer your question!

18. Looks like you find Flavor Town! I've been seeing these hunks of meat at my local Cash N Carry. My smoker isn't big enough to hold one, but as soon as I upgrade I'm diving in.

I don't guess you're sharing that rub mixture, are you?

19. TomKnollRFV

Sure does! I think I've seen this at Walmart, never really knew what to use it for..now I do!

20. That sandwich look really, really good. Never come close to doing a shoulder clod. First time I ever saw it was on an episode of BBQ Pitmasters and the cooks that day were initially confused about what to do with it. Looks like you hit it out of the park!