Beef Ribs - Caveman Style!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
The wife picked up a rack of beef ribs and I didn’t get off work as early as I wanted to cook them low and slow so I decided to try a new but old style of cooking beef!!!

So got them seasoned up with SPOG & a splash of sugar & lemon pepper
3950096B-850C-40E1-B92C-90E17A0470AC.jpeg

The new “old style” cooking of meat over a oak & mesquite log fire! Planned on a hot and fast 1 hour cook....started with meat side down...
4F027D60-58E5-44FE-95E0-95BAC9AA4C39.jpeg

Yukon golds forked and dressed with classic olive oil and sea salt. Dropped them in the gas oven 15 min after the ribs went on at 425 convection.
076A940C-46E0-43FE-80F8-073D3A4D5197.jpeg

20 min in....
4C84DC41-A5DD-4A2C-9033-B956F48058B0.jpeg

30 min in....
DEA98E31-84EA-4D61-84E5-81610959E9C6.jpeg

Turned them over at 40 mins on the flames.....
6EA286E3-D14A-4C34-9919-687D8EC592F0.jpeg

What the rib side looked like at the hour mark when I pulled them off....I just love this pic with the hot coals under the grill!
5DF47AD8-B550-4751-9D2D-2E8F8A3A5BE4.jpeg

The golden salt crusted spuds after 45 min!!!!! A perfect beef companion!
EB885550-FE57-49DB-AB96-AC1E407F829F.jpeg

Resting on the cutting board
EB31BA48-AF25-430D-82C1-AF06E3C540E0.jpeg

Rack one cut...juicy and fat has been tendered off :-)
EEAFCB36-B7C4-4C06-A8AB-4451C8D4BA04.jpeg

Rack two....makes my taste buds sing!
F9ADE4F5-5534-4930-A3EB-FC0BD64DF4CC.jpeg

And this is the caveman inspired plate!
1B3287D4-2B94-4A48-9B5F-255409E81EC2.jpeg

The beef wasn’t fall off the bone tender but it was tender, juicy and had a fire roasted magic flavor! The fam was 100% in agreement that the experiment was a yummy success! This prep style will be on the menu again!!

Awesome!

Argentina grate with Santa Maria grill blurs the lines, but a good fusion.

Trying to figure out how you got oak in the land of lodge pole and aspen.

Looks awesome!

Thanks 5!

Awesome!

Argentina grate with Santa Maria grill blurs the lines, but a good fusion.

Trying to figure out how you got oak in the land of lodge pole and aspen.

Santa Maria + Argentina + smoker = flavor fusion! Which is/was the goal with the X-Fire Grill build :-)

Oh we have a variety of resources....we have oak local but mesquite is trucked in....

Reactions: Fueling Around
Thanks for the like NovaKane 09, jcam222, & wbf610 for the likes!

That looks really, really good. I have a couple racks of beef ribs in the freezer that I am getting out RIGHT NOW and will cook this evening. We will be out on the boat all day and I won't have time to do a lengthy cook when we get back but this looks perfect. Love the idea. Thanks for sharing. Got a Q for you though.Is the grill you used made bu Sunterra? I have a Santa Maria that I recently bought that has some very similar features as your grill.

Robert

I bet the flavour was out of this world! Can’t beat that fire.

Many thanks, natural fire has some kind of magic in it to create yummyness!

Well done Civil! Nothing like an open flame cook!!

Thanks and we are in 100% agreement! My wife usually won’t touch any meat smoked with mesquite but after tasting a nibble she stole one off the cutting board for her self. The direct fire smokes it different more subtle in a good way.

Looks good! Great job!

Thanks yankee2bbq!

Nice cook.

Thanks Brian, your like is appreciated!

That looks really, really good. I have a couple racks of beef ribs in the freezer that I am getting out RIGHT NOW and will cook this evening. We will be out on the boat all day and I won't have time to do a lengthy cook when we get back but this looks perfect. Love the idea. Thanks for sharing. Got a Q for you though.Is the grill you used made bu Sunterra? I have a Santa Maria that I recently bought that has some very similar features as your grill.

Robert

Thanks and have fun out on the boat! That’s tuff duty to go boating so a protein filled meat dinner is a good follow up activity...LOL! Let us know how they grill up.

And to answer your question the grill is what my son and me call the X-Fire Grill. We designed it and built it for his civil learning class. We are still building on it but we are close to finishing it out.

We did study Sunterra models as part of our research cause they make a very nice grill! So many of their features spilled into ours....

Here is the build thread!

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/the-x-fire-grill.284462/

Last edited:
Excellent job on those ribs civil.

Point for sure
Chris

Excellent job on those ribs civil.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris! Since the boy is invested in the grill he helps out cooking a lot more so I can focus more effort on the meat. I have noticed a huge difference in having a couple extra hands helping for sure!

It ALL looks good. But I REALLY like the ribs with a tug! FOB is fine, but if I had my druthers, it's just like the way you made 'em.
Don

Nice cook, those ribs look top notch.

Thanks Waterin! I’m pretty sure the smoke from them has hit you today :-)

Fantastic job on the grill and the meal, can't beat fired meat + baked potato + corn on the cob.

I could have that every night if the wife would let me. :emoji_disappointed:

John

Thanks Smokin, the good thing about me doing most of the cooking on the weekends is that it is almost always meat and potato’s! Been married long enough the wife enables it....

From one cave man to another "Yabba dabba do"

Love them dino bones!
RG

RB thanks - LOL

It ALL looks good. But I REALLY like the ribs with a tug! FOB is fine, but if I had my druthers, it's just like the way you made 'em.
Don

Our fam is with you Don! I always leave a little tug on our ribs be it pork or beef. To me that “biting” experience just brings a certain kind of satisfaction. It’s also one of the reason I’m really liking the new X-Fire Grill cause it’s a blend of smoking, grilling, and roasting....

Last edited:
Reactions: drdon
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky