Beef enchiladas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Afternoon folks,
Believe it or not. This was the first time I've made enchiladas. Made a ton of burritos and tacos. But not this.
I started out with a approx 4 pound top round.
Put it in the IP with:
14 to 15 oz. Stewed Tomatoes
½ tbs. Dried Oregano Leaf
½ tbs. Granulated Onion
2 tps. Garlic Powder
2 tsp. Cumin
2 tsp. Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
¼ tsp. Smoked Paprika
1/2 tsp. Cayenne pepper, optional

IMG_20230131_130347668.jpg

Removed string. Trimmed off fat. And cut in half.

IMG_20230131_131207493.jpg

Added enough water to cover the meat. And cooked under high pressure for 2 hours. Did a manual pressure release.
Removed meat. And poured juices from IP into a bowl. Let the meat rest for 30 minutes. Then shredded.

IMG_20230131_155829305.jpg

Put meat back in IP. And added enough liquid to saturate the meat. I added a bit too much liquid. So, I used a cornstarch slurry to thicken it a touch. Tasted. And added more cayenne and cumin.
Used canned enchilada sauce.
IMG_20230131_172538052 (1).jpg

Out of the oven. I gave it a good layer of 4 cheese Mexican blend.

IMG_20230131_173100652.jpg

Overall. It was somewhat of a disappointment. But I learned. Watch the liquid. And use corn tortillas.
Next time I'll nail it!

Man Steve ,,, sure looks good .
You did a lot of the same things I do .
Second dish for whole birds is usually enchiladas . I use flour tort's , but add hominy or fritos to the filling for the corn flavor . Canned sauce and light on the cheese .

The flour tort's can get soggy on the bottom . I only cover the middle section on the top .
Still looks pretty good to me .

Looks pretty darn good Steve! I have had my not so great one's to. I have one enchilada recipe I like with flour from a lady I use to work with. Corn usually the way to go. I actually took out some low carb corn tortilla's today to do enchilada's. I like Cacique Cheese with the paprika on the outside my favorite for enchilada's.

Man Steve ,,, sure looks good .
You did a lot of the same things I do .
Second dish for whole birds is usually enchiladas . I use flour tort's , but add hominy or fritos to the filling for the corn flavor . Canned sauce and light on the cheese .

The flour tort's can get soggy on the bottom . I only cover the middle section on the top .
Still looks pretty good to me .
That's what I found out as well. Plus, the corn torts would really have helped with the profile.

Looks great, Steve!
Thank you!

Looks pretty darn good Steve! I have had my not so great one's to. I have one enchilada recipe I like with flour from a lady I use to work with. Corn usually the way to go. I actually took out some low carb corn tortilla's today to do enchilada's. Cacique Enchilado Cheese with the paprika on the outside my favorite for enchilada's.
Thanks Brian! I'll look that cheese up.

Ok, I did a fast search. I've seen this at Walmart. Never thought about trying it. Thanks for the tip Brian!

Looks good to me Steve! Sometimes we are our own worst critics! But if nothing else you have an idea on where you want to go with them.

Ryan

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I usually add some roasted green chili's and some different crushed red chili powder like chipotle. It will really change the flavor, along with the corn tortillas.

Reactions: negolien
Even though you say it's a disappointment, It'd sure scratch my Mexican itch I get at least once a week! Looks good from here...

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
Looks great Steve! Takes me like 3-4 times to dial in my stuff. IMO enchilada filing is protein cheese and onion that's it. I bake a bunch like you and add some sauce but go light. We add sauce when serving. I really like what you used for the beef but woulda added about 1/4 c of chili powder and a little msg.

Looks good to me! I made enchiladas last night as well but used shredded chicken thighs. Added some red pepper and onion and cheese for the filling. Made my own chipolte cream enchilada sauce. My first time doing enchiladas as well and I was very pleased with the results it was excellent. Served with a side of Esquites (Mexican corn salad) and made a Molcajete roja salsa for a appetizer. A couple margarita's to wash down all the spicy food of course.

Looks pretty darned yummy from where I'm sitting Steve! I go with flour or corn, no diff, flour is easier, warm in the micro as opposed to hot oil. Like Rich, I like a little sauce on the top, sour cream and cado when it's all done. RAY

I think it looks like a good meal to me Steve! Real tasty! We are our own worst critics, im having a hard time figuring out what I missed? For me, enchiladas are always wet? We use corn tortillas heated up in pan to be more pliable, but with the sauce it gets soggy. It’s why I like enchiladas! Looking forward to how you tweak it!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
nice I made some recently I didn't like the flour tortillas either they were fine originally but got soggy reheating. Do people use white or yellow corn the most?

Looks great to me Steve. Darn near any Mexican dish you can count me in.
Lol! Thanks Jeff!

Looks good to me Steve! Sometimes we are our own worst critics! But if nothing else you have an idea on where you want to go with them.

Ryan
Thanks Ryan! That's true.

I usually add some roasted green chili's and some different crushed red chili powder like chipotle. It will really change the flavor, along with the corn tortillas.
Thank you for the tip. I'll try that!

Even though you say it's a disappointment, It'd sure scratch my Mexican itch I get at least once a week! Looks good from here...
Thanks!

Looks great Steve! Takes me like 3-4 times to dial in my stuff. IMO enchilada filing is protein cheese and onion that's it. I bake a bunch like you and add some sauce but go light. We add sauce when serving. I really like what you used for the beef but woulda added about 1/4 c of chili powder and a little msg.
Thanks you! I appreciate the pointers. Chili powder would have helped.

Looks good to me! I made enchiladas last night as well but used shredded chicken thighs. Added some red pepper and onion and cheese for the filling. Made my own chipolte cream enchilada sauce. My first time doing enchiladas as well and I was very pleased with the results it was excellent. Served with a side of Esquites (Mexican corn salad) and made a Molcajete roja salsa for a appetizer. A couple margarita's to wash down all the spicy food of course.
Thanks! Margaritas would have been good with this!

Looks pretty darned yummy from where I'm sitting Steve! I go with flour or corn, no diff, flour is easier, warm in the micro as opposed to hot oil. Like Rich, I like a little sauce on the top, sour cream and cado when it's all done. RAY
Thanks Ray!

I think it looks like a good meal to me Steve! Real tasty! We are our own worst critics, im having a hard time figuring out what I missed? For me, enchiladas are always wet? We use corn tortillas heated up in pan to be more pliable, but with the sauce it gets soggy. It’s why I like enchiladas! Looking forward to how you tweak it!
Thanks Jed! With the ideas I'm getting. I'll be trying this again soon.

nice I made some recently I didn't like the flour tortillas either they were fine originally but got soggy reheating. Do people use white or yellow corn the most?
Thanks! I'm not sure to be honest.

How the hell did I miss this one??

Steve- those look great to me. Thanks for your honest feedback. We all learn together here so much appreciated! Been a while since I've made enchiladas too. I'll have to change that soon.

How the hell did I miss this one??

Steve- those look great to me. Thanks for your honest feedback. We all learn together here so much appreciated! Been a while since I've made enchiladas too. I'll have to change that soon.
Thanks Keith!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky