Beef Bologna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ddavis

Original poster
Nov 8, 2015
Terre Haute, Indiana
Found this recipe on here sometime ago and decided to try it this week end, 2 problems.
The new search function shows no results for "bologna" to verify the recipe and see the comments on it and I can't find the type of wood to cold smoke it with. any help is appreciated.
BOLOGNA RECIPE
Seasoning for 5 lbs. Bologna
5# Ground Beef
1 cup (8oz.) Ice water
1 tsp – Cure #1
½ TB - White Pepper
1 Tb - Paprika
½ TB - Nutmeg
½ tsp - Allspice
½ tsp - Onion Powder
1 tsp – Garlic powder or Granulated
1 tsp - Ground Coriander
1 cup (8 oz) - Powder Milk
Cure
Mix the Cure #1 thoroughly into the hamburger meat and let rest in the fridge for about an hour, while mixing the other ingredients. Removed the meat from Fridge, divided into 5 equal amounts. Put first batch into processor and turned it on, add a little water to help it emulsify. Do remaining batches the same.

Took remaining water (I had a ¼ cup left so I added another ¼ mixed in the dry ingredients to make a slurry.
Poured slurry over meat and mixed and mixed and mixed.
Then back in the fridge
Soak the Bologna casing for about an hour, (Nice and pliable)
Fill the stuffer and pump the casing full.
Pack it down by tapping it on the counter and twisting the open end.
Once tight I tied the open end and cut off excess casing.
Back in the fridge till tomorrows smoke.
SATURDAY:
Pull Bologna out of Fridge to warm up before Smoking
Smoker set at 120 ° put on the Bologna.
Cooked an hour with no smoke.
Bump temp to 135 ° and added wood chips
1 hour later bump again to 150 °
1 hour bumped again to 175 ° until the IT was 155 ° to 160 °
Removed from smoker and put in water bath for about an hour.
Let cool a little more on the counter then in the fridge.
**OR cold-smoke for 4-6 hours. Poach chubs in hot bath @167 degrees until 155 IT is reached. Cool bologna in ice bath and hang to bloom. Refrigerate overnight. Slice after well-chilling.

Darrell

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky