Beef bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cluckinchicken6

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
Texas
I had acquired beef navel from the local butcher it is 2.5 to 3 inches thick with a large fat cap I dry cured using Morton’s tender quick and have left it in the cure for 5 weeks is this too long I know I usually do a 14 day for 2” bellies.
I’d this meat salvageable or should I chunk it in the trash

5 weeks is a long time. Do you see any color changes, is it really firm, or does it have a slick coating? Any odd odors?

Don't get me wrong, TQ is a great product and I use it for several applications, but the salt and sugar ratio is fixed (unlike an equilibrium cure using Cure #1). Where I'm headed with this is that TQ might be a little saltier and over 5 weeks that may be an issue. On the other side of the coin, TQ has sodium nitrate which is time release of sorts.... I'm not sure how that plays into the equation either.

5 weeks is a long time. Do you see any color changes, is it really firm, or does it have a slick coating? Any odd odors?

Don't get me wrong, TQ is a great product and I use it for several applications, but the salt and sugar ratio is fixed (unlike an equilibrium cure using Cure #1). Where I'm headed with this is that TQ might be a little saltier and over 5 weeks that may be an issue. On the other side of the coin, TQ has sodium nitrate which is time release of sorts.... I'm not sure how that plays into the equation either.
It is bright red I hate to chunk it because it’s wagyunavel

Yes you would probably for sure want to do a fry test before you smoke it, that way you can soak it and try to remove some saltiness if its way too salty. Maybe Bearcarver Bearcarver can chime in, he uses tenderquick and is much more knowledgeable than me.

Ryan

I had acquired beef navel from the local butcher it is 2.5 to 3 inches thick with a large fat cap I dry cured using Morton’s tender quick and have left it in the cure for 5 weeks is this too long I know I usually do a 14 day for 2” bellies.
I’d this meat salvageable or should I chunk it in the trash

If that was Pork, I would have cured it for 11 Days, but Beef seems to take a little longer, so 14 days for Beef, with a Maximum of 17 days.
I wouldn't toss it though. It's probably just too salty. I've never cured too long with TQ, but I know some who have, and they soak it for hours, changing the water every half hour to hour.
Some of them cut up a potato, and drop that in. They claim it helps draw the salt out.

Just keep soaking it & checking it, by taking small slices & frying for flavor tests.
After curing for 5 weeks, you don't have to worry about it spoiling by soaking it too long.
Let us know how it turned out & what you did for how long. It could help the next guy.

Bear

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky