BBQ Snobbery

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think the traditional BBQ competition is as much a measure of the pit master's skills at fire/smoke management as it is of the end product. Modern methods of BBQ eliminate much of that.

I'm sensing some undercurrent against the more modern approaches to barbecue around the various forums
Is it an undercurrent against, or a want to preserve the traditional methods of BBQ. As pellet grills/smokers are becoming main stream, people are not learning to manage temps/smoke with wood/charcoal, and some may fear the art will be lost.
I mean, I recently opted for a pellet grill myself for the convenience of not having to constantly babysit a fire, but I can still cook with charcoal/wood If I feel like sitting around tending a fire.

You might find you LIKE cooking on that kettle.
I use the Weber more than the smoker....
Been there, done that. Just too much work constantly tending the fire and the vents. I even got tired of constantly tending the gasser, too. As I’m getting older I just appreciate the ease of the pellet smoker. Gives me more time to focus on my recipes.

I guess your solution is to find a competition that allows propane, electric and pellet amokers.

For competition, I can see where fire management is as critical to showcasing a pitmaster's craft as is prep work, seasoning, cooking, finishing, plating, etc. You lose a lot of that with modern pellet, propane, and electric grills with their digital temp controllers.

Just an FYI, I do not compete, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...:emoji_laughing:

Many competitions don't allow gas or electric as was said "they" think they are set and forget or to easily controlled as compared to charcoal or stick burning I have seen a few that only allow stick burners

Piss them off and show up with a kettle or WSM or ? and a BBQ Guru

Throw in a dewalt(or whatever brand) battery pack with a AC adaptor to run it.

OT: As other's have stated, there could be a myriad of reasons why they don't allow it. Could be to maintain the "authenticity" or it might be as simple as not wanting to supply everyone with power. As far as the propane is concerned, I know a local yearly competition doesn't allow electric because of the power issue, and don't allow propane as it technically can be a larger fire hazard. Now would it possibly ever happen? Not likely, but does the insurance for the event cost less if the exclude propane? Probably so.

Either way, there are non-sanctioned events out there that do allow electrics so don't let this one get you down.

Reactions: noboundaries
How about you organize a competition with some of your neighbors, co-workers and friends?
Agreed. Just find out if the one you were turned away from is regular, then stagger yours by a few months. You don't want to look like sour grapes.
And if you're in a community org (church, scouts, etc) you'll probably have lots of support, esp. if you'll Chair the Committee. If it's for charity, just let the Fire Dept know and they'll probably be cool. Be willing to limit participation if the FD's rules regarding amperage, location, etc create their own limits.

I can see both sides of this. For you I can see why you’d be frustrated after having been excited to participate. On the other hand I can see where they’d like to limit it to certain cooler types to level the field on all skills required for the contestants. That’s not a knock on pellet / electric cookers and the final product but there are other skills that come into play managing the more “primitive” cooking styles. Think about a shooting competition for muzzle loaders and someone using a modern rifle with a scope. As an idea suggest to them they add a separate categories for pellet and electric and invite multiple folks with those.
Yup. Even the difference in a traditional muzzle loader vs an inline is stunning.......so much so that i think inlines should not be considered valid for "muzzle loader/black powder" season.

Starting a fire with a match or lighter cannot be considered the same as starting a fire with flint and steel.

• Haha
Reactions: Fueling Around
Well, I gave in and when the wife asked me what I wanted for Father's Day I told her I wanted a charcoal kettle so I could compete. I caught a 10% off sale at Slow N Sear for their kettle with the insert. I'll have to find out if I can use a digital temp controller fan for the contest. Have to hook it up to a battery with an inverter I guess if it's allowed. I am sorta looking forward to breaking it in a practicing this summer though. :emoji_sunglasses:

I'll have to find out if I can use a digital temp controller fan for the contest. Have to hook it up to a battery with an inverter I guess if it's allowed. I am sorta looking forward to breaking it in a practicing this summer though
I get 8 to 10 hours at 260 ish on my 26 using the snake method . Never used a S N S , but I bet you can get the same or close with no fan . like you said , get it fired up and see how it runs .

Well, I gave in and when the wife asked me what I wanted for Father's Day I told her I wanted a charcoal kettle so I could compete. I caught a 10% off sale at Slow N Sear for their kettle with the insert. I'll have to find out if I can use a digital temp controller fan for the contest. Have to hook it up to a battery with an inverter I guess if it's allowed. I am sorta looking forward to breaking it in a practicing this summer though. :emoji_sunglasses:

If you have cordless tools, most of them you can find battery adaptors for that have usb plug-ins. I actually just ordered this one yesterday from amazon for my dewalt stuff.

Reactions: K9BIGDOG
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky