BBQ Books - suggestions?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Daba's BBQ

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 24, 2021
Metro NYC
Like you, I have a nice selection of bbq and smoking books - Jeff Phillips, Meathead, Myron Mixon, Aaron Franklin, Steven Raichlen - just to name a few. I consider many of these to be staples for folks like us. But over the last year or two, many others have come on the market from Rodney Scott, Tuffy Stone, Big Mo Cason, Bludo, and many more.

Mamy of the new ones give chapter after chapter on the author's history. These are more biographies than bbq books and are not really what I buy a bbq book for.

For example, Rodney Scott's book is 65% biography, 25% on how to build a pit and cook a whole hog, and 10% recipes and techniques. This is totally useless to me. This is not the type of book that I am looking to spend my money on.

Which books do you consider essential reading and of the new ones, which would you recommend and why?

Peace.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Finding Fire by Lennox Hastie. This guy is a true master of cooking over open flame. He has a Chef’s Table episode which is incredible. I think it’s on Netflix. I can’t recommend it enough. He got me addicted to Santa Maria style cooking. You’ll find Rodney Scott and Tootsie on the BBQ episodes, too.

Reactions: Daba's BBQ
I have the Franklin book. If you are making good to great barbecue, why mess with it and possibly cloud your thinking? I know that is not what you asked, but I am just throwing it out there with good intention.

Finding Fire by Lennox Hastie. This guy is a true master of cooking over open flame. He has a Chef’s Table episode which is incredible. I think it’s on Netflix. I can’t recommend it enough. He got me addicted to Santa Maria style cooking. You’ll find Rodney Scott and Tootsie on the BBQ episodes, too.
I'm watching it right now. Amazing!

I was going to second the Peace, Love, and BBQ suggestion. Good choice IMO.

I'd recommend Smoke and Spice too as long as you don't follow their cooking times and temps guidelines. Good recipes but I don't know what they were smoking when they came up with those times and temps.

Not necessarily a BBQ book but this is a sausage making necessity. IMHO

1657211107327.png

JC :emoji_cat:

I was going to second the Peace, Love, and BBQ suggestion. Good choice IMO.

I'd recommend Smoke and Spice too as long as you don't follow their cooking times and temps guidelines. Good recipes but I don't know what they were smoking when they came up with those times and temps.
I bought Peace, Love...last week. It should arrive shortly. I have Smoke & Spice and agree with regard to cook times. But good advice, recipes, etc.

BTW - I bought and returned Horn Barbecue. I found it extremely basic. This book is good for someone who never, ever barbecued before. For folks like us, we need books that are more in-depth and take a deep dive into the art of barbecue

BTW2 - I also recommend Black Smoke - A History of American Barbecue. Truly amazing and insightful.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky