Basturma recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kvn

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 20, 2021
I'm looking to find a good basturma recipe. Any ideas?

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and been trying to make Basturma and wondering what to use if I dont have a dehyfrator as used above. Can this remain at room temperature? Ive been moving mine around not sure where is the best place or practice. Currently in the kitchen with a fan blowing on it. My first one and have no problem throwing it out if not done right.

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and been trying to make Basturma and wondering what to use if I dont have a dehyfrator as used above. Can this remain at room temperature? Ive been moving mine around not sure where is the best place or practice. Currently in the kitchen with a fan blowing on it. My first one and have no problem throwing it out if not done right.
Lotsa questions to answer your question, and I'm by far not the most qualified to answer but you need to grasp the safety hurdles involved with drying whole muscle meats. Here's a great place to start https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-types/fermented-sausage/safety-hurdles

Reactions: mike456
No, you can not....unless the room temperature is below 60*F; and the humidity is around 80%.
Appreciate your response, just to learn more about this. I watched a video on YouTube and someone was making beef jerky in soy sauce type in hen left it on a fan to air dry and was ready in a day. They were thin stripes versus the basturma bulk meat. What would be the difference? Doesn’t the fenugreek and garlic and cumin prevent organisms from growing? Same with sun drying. How is that acceptable versus air drying the basturma. Room temp is 68 and humidity is 73. Appreciate your input as I try to learn more about this.

Thin jerky, yes, you can dry at room temp. because it is thin and dries out super fast. Thicker cuts, you can't do that because the surface will dry too fast which will seal forming a crust an then moisture can not escape. The piece will then spoil.
The name of the game is to slow surface evaporation down so that it is just slightly faster than the diffusion rate of moisture from the center of the piece to the surface. You do this by lowing the temperature of drying, and raising the humidity so the air can't suck up moisture off the surface as quickly. The surface molds also help slow drying.....

The salt is what dries the meat...from the inside out. with the surface slightly drier, the salt concentration there rises. This higher concentration of salt then pulls moisture from the center to the surface and the moisture seeks equalization in the meat.

The salt is what dries the meat...from the inside out. with the surface slightly drier, the salt concentration there rises. This higher concentration of salt then pulls moisture from the center to the surface and the moisture seeks equalization in the meat.
So how are many doing this without specialized controlled equipment, overseas they hang dry it which is the second part of the question. How did the Indians sun dry the meat?

Also can I save what I have by placing it in the fridge or too late. Been outside for almost two days covered in garlic and fenugreek and cumin paste. with fan blowing on it.

Timing was also a factor, I saw multiple how to videos and the ones they left it outside I noticed they only did so for a day before it’s ready to eat. One day salting in fridge and one day curing with garlic and fenugreek outside and was ready. Also saw another video completely different where he refrigerates it for 3 weeks with salt and cheese cloth and another 3 weeks curing with spices also in the fridge.

Well I had to see what it looks like and this is it after two days air drying with a fan.

70CBF4FC-949B-4297-A534-3AE7618610A4.jpeg

Just looked it up....It uses peltier technology for the cooling. If you use an evidry peltier dehumidifier, the peltier cooling sill not have enough power to cool the heat generated by the dehumidifier.....they will fight each other.

This is a better option because it uses a compressor. It will have enough cooling capacity to counter the heat from an evidry 1100 dehumidifier (the gold standard for drying salumi).

The problem I see is the small size. You will have difficulty with wild RH% swings in a small space and there would be no way to offset the dehumidifier to keep the warm dry air from contacting the bottom of your salumi.

I recommend units no smaller than about 3-3.5cu. ft. for this reason. A small refrigerator with a compressor and a vertical frost plate can be had for the price range of the units you have posted....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky