Basted Eggs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
Occasionally I baste eggs for my wife Carma. She loves poached eggs anyway so every now and then I baste them in milk. Makes my girl very happy.

BF799BA5-9646-4FB2-93DB-6B987DF2D46A.jpeg

This is milk with a pad of butter and seasoned with garlic salt and fresh cracked pepper. You bring the milk just to a simmer then crack the eggs and baste with a spoon until desired doneness . Served with my holiday ham some fresh bacon and some hash browns.

59D9E2A9-142B-4286-A97F-07D8A60123BF.jpeg

Enjoy.

Never tried eggs that way. I usually go over-easy, scrambled, or omelette depending on the sides. They look good - nicely done

Point for sure
chris

Wow, that is definitely a new one to me, but looks and sounds incredible to me! Points for sure, can’t wait to try this!

Interesting for sure! I'll be making Eggs Benedict tomorrow after todays smoked ham. I'll have to stick with water and a little vinegar, not enough milk and I ain't going to market today. RAY

Thank you all for comments and likes, sure appreciate that.

When I was a kid on the farm we always had a milk cow and fresh milk daily weather we needed it or not. Usually about 5 gallons a day, but we had calves to feed (bottle babies) too so we used the milk but we always had plenty of pretty much all things food. Anyway we got creative on ways to use milk. Basting eggs was a delicious way to use some milk plus it made a very light gravy, if you will, that went well with potatoes or over toast. Please do give this a try. Remember to season the milk a little and you have to spoon baste the top of the eggs to cook them, watch careful because you can over cook the yokes without realizing it and keep the milk just at a simmer to high of heat and the milk will foam and could boil over the pan. It’s well worth the effort though.

That sir is the perfect breakfast plate. I tend to baste the eggs in the grease from cooking the bacon beforehand. Same concept, just a different basting liquid.

Robert

Reactions: SmokinEdge
spoon baste the top of the eggs to cook them

Hi Eric, this is also a new one for me. I am like Ray ( sawhorseray sawhorseray ) with the water and a bit of vinegar.
Just asking , do you think the milk changes the taste of the poached egg or makes a gravy if you will for your potatoes.
Poached are my favorite than scrambled, But poached on toast is my very best way to eat.

Thanks in advance

David

Reactions: JLeonard
That sir is the perfect breakfast plate. I tend to baste the eggs in the grease from cooking the bacon beforehand. Same concept, just a different basting liquid.

Robert
I like eggs basted in bacon grease, lightly splash with a spatula for a no flip egg that is slightly crispy on the bottom is delicious.

Hi Eric, this is also a new one for me. I am like Ray ( sawhorseray sawhorseray ) with the water and a bit of vinegar.
Just asking , do you think the milk changes the taste of the poached egg or makes a gravy if you will for your potatoes.
Poached are my favorite than scrambled, But poached on toast is my very best way to eat.

Thanks in advance

David
Hey David, yes I too poach in water with vinegar and it’s a great method.
The milk makes a “richer” egg, for lack of a better description. The milk, garlic and salt with fresh cracked pepper brings a different taste with the egg generally and the milk goes great spooned over potatoes and is real nice over toast, give this a whirl, you can also garnish with fresh grated Parmesan Reggiano that kicks this dish up another notch.

Great example of what’s great about this site. Beyond smoking I learn countless new cooking techniques. Very cool.
Give this a try Jeff, and remember the tip about Parmesan Reggiano, makes a delightful egg. We put that on water poached to but is much better with the basted egg.

Friends of mine "poach" their eggs in milk all the time. Your breakfast looks great to me.
Love poached eggs (I just use water). Throw them in the boiling water, skin them over so they're hot, and onto the toast.
Gary
Thanks Gary, I’ve eaten my weight in eggs poached just like you mentioned, nothing wrong with those at all.

Never cooked eggs that way, but it looks absolutely delicious.
Thanks Doug. They were better when I was a kid. We kept our milk in a glass gallon jar in the fridge. We didn’t separate the cream from the milk so there would be 2-3 inches of cream on top of the milk, I used to dip that cream and pour over Cheerios but that’s another story, anyway the cream had to be stirred back into the milk with a large wooden spoon, so that milk was very rich and creamy and was better on everything but made some incredible eggs.

I have also basted eggs in heavy cream seasoned the same then poured the cream over fried sausage makes a kind of sausage gravy and is a good use of the basting cream. Sopp it up with toast or biscuits. Thank me later.

Reactions: DougE
Sounds and looks awesome I'm sure Carma was happy to have that plate of goodness for breakfast

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky